Microphones

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DJ Hoffie

Microphones

Post by DJ Hoffie »

New to the forum, but I've been reading for a while now. I need some help picking out my next set of microphones.

First, when I first started doing DJ/KJ, I only meant for my system to be for family functions, but this hobby has since grown into a small business.

The microphones I own right now are Acesonic UHF-4000. It is a 4 channel UHF wireless microphone system, but it is not a diversity system.

There are some things I don't like about my current mics. One, the voice pick-up pattern is very narrow. IF you are not talking directly into the top of the microphone, it has a hard time picking up the singer's voice. Two, no matter how high I turn up my gain, the singer has to hold the microphone within 2 inches of their mouth to get good pickup.

Now maybe those are common issues, but they are obviously problematic. I get a lot of novices who don't know how to handle a mic. So I am constantly having to chase their voice around by adjusting the gain. But they change their position or suddenly raise their voice and now they start clipping.

Perhaps I should be trying to use compression versus adjusting the mic gain to combat these issues.

If anyone has some suggestions on how to combat those issues, that would be great, especially if I am going to continue to encounter it with practically any mic I use.

Now on to the issue that bugs me the most...dropouts. I am not yet sure what is causing the dropouts on these mics. I have three theories:
1.) Classic dropout of signal...those this seems unlikely in my mind because the mics are never more than 20 feet from the receiver. I do put my mixer on top of my receiver, but I just don't see how that would cause this issue with the proximity being so close.
2.) Cheap switches on mic...I know these aren't the highest quality mics out there, but they do sound good when they do work. I've heard singers make them sound amazing. I have had intermittent switch issues where I have had to exercise the switch a couple of times when turning it on to get the mic to work.
3.) Sound/Noise Cancellation...I'm pretty sure these mics have a noise cancellation circuit on them and/or shock mounting. The time I see this "dropout" issue the most is when a singer is facing the crowd, while in the path of the speakers. I have NEVER had an issue when I was using them standing behind my computer and out of the sound path directly in frot of the speakers.

That's one thing I will say about these mics...I never get feedback, and they do sound good. I've gotten compliments on them.

But nothing ticks me off more than when the sound cuts out...it's just unprofessional. It might happen 3 or 4 times a show...not a lot but it drives me nuts.

SO...I am looking to upgrade my mics. I want a set that someone can say they have never had dropout issues with. I want a set that is rugged with a rugged switch configuration on it. I want one with a wide voice recognition pattern, but that isn't prone to feedback.

I want to have 4 microphones, but I don't want to spend more than $700. I will even consider doing two wireless mics, and two wired mics.

I just got recommended the following wireless mic: Audio 2000 AWM-6546DU.

I was also recommended the following wired mic: AudioTechnica MB3K.

In short, I would love to hear the forum's recommendations for both wired & wireless microphones, as well as your thoughts on the aforementioned recommendation. Thanks in advance...

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I use a AKG WMS40 Dual mike set for my setup. I used to use samson stage 5h mikes but due to interference in the last two sets I decided to look elsewhere for a wireless mike solution. The AKG's sound so much better than the samsons. Plus the fact that I can get 30 hours off of 1 AA battery.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Diversity eliminates drop outs.

You get what you pay for.

People laugh at me because I pay $600 each for my microphones. (That includes the receiver.)

Shure

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUSLX2458

Cheapest place to get these is here.

http://www.nstuffmusic.com/

$519....don't waste your time looking at other sites...I did that already.

https://www.nstuffmusic.com/ShoppingCar ... uctID=6798

Free shipping and no tax.