superCD+G legal?

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
steveo777

superCD+G legal?

Post by steveo777 »

YES I AM NEW AND LOOKING TO TRY DOING A KARAOKE NIGHT AT A FRIENDS BAR. ITS ALL A BIT MESMORIZING. AT FIRST I WAS CONSIERING DOING THE LAPTOP THING BUT IT SEEMS MAYBE IT MIGHT BE MORE AFFORDABLE TO START THE OTHER WAY. QUESTION 1 ARE THE CAVS SUPERCD+G DISCS LEGAL? SO FAR THEY SEEM LIKE A GOOD DEAL FOR THE SONGS YOU GET AT 450 SONGS FOR JUST OVER 100 BUCKS. QUESTION 2 CAN THEY BE DOWNLOADED LATER TO WORK WITH COMPUHOST OR SOME OTHER DIGITAL FORMAT?

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Steveo
Welcome to the forum.

1st, in general forum etiquette, it's considered to be impolite to have your entire post in UPPER CASE.

It's designated as "shouting".

You'll find this to be the case on any forum you join.

If you have a look in the "General" forum, you'll find there is a "lively" discussion going on, Re. legal matters and as I don't have first hand experience your side of the pond, I wouldn't like to comment.

Have a quick browse around and I'm sure you will get the info you're after.

Sandy
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
steveo777

Post by steveo777 »

My apology for the CAPS
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Steveo, those 450 song SuperCDG's are not legal but unlicensed copies. At one point they were licensed but the license fee that was due Chartbuster was never paid so Chartbuster pulled out of the agreement and the SuperCDG makers kept making them without the permission of Chartbuster. I had the set before I learned this from Debi Stovall's mouth. I have since pulled them out of my system due to questionable legality of the discs. I hope at some point to replace them with SD cards from Chartbuster themselves.
MikoZuna

Post by MikoZuna »

So hen what is the difference, between 1-6 and 7-10 which cb still sells other then price
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

There is a technical issue with the super CD+G discs. They have a lot of songs crammed on the disc. One tiny scratch wipes out 100 songs. That same scratch on a regular CD+G, you might lose 1 or 2 songs.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

MikoZuna wrote:So hen what is the difference, between 1-6 and 7-10 which cb still sells other then price
1-6 masters were given to the creator of the SuperCDG's when they were originally licensed. The SCDG creator's kept them after Chartbuster pulled the deal and kept creating discs. 7-10 never made it to the scdg people.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

There is a reason the karaoke industry is switching to computers.

Discs suck. Too delicate.

Once you use a computer using discs is like being a caveman.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:Once you use a computer using discs is like being a caveman.
Sadly, there is the other side of the coin, where the KJ's are such Technophobes that anything other than simple discs scare them to death.

A couple of KJ's that I provide support for had their Kam disc player act up and show signs of the laser/tray dying, so they asked me to get another player.

I had a hunt around and found the Starsinger1000, a seriously full featured player with disc, SD card and USB capability.

They are over the moon with it but when I took down a pendrive with a few MP3+G files as a demo, you'd have thought I'd asked them to French kiss a Skunk.

As another simple demo, I transferred some of their collection to MP3+G on a DVD (26 discs worth) and they seemed unable to get their heads round a simple menu system.

ABsolutely terrified of it and it's hardly rocket science.

Sad, very sad.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Scared isn't the word.

I knew I wanted to use a computer for karaoke but I'm not Mr. Computer Geek, so I had to find one and pay them to get me were I am.

My other fear was the sound quality. I had heard several singers complaining about how bad the KJs using computers sounded.

After my investigation and actually using one at my show (borrowed from another KJ) an entire night I was convinced I could make it sound as good as my system always sounds.

It was cheap KJs using cheap PA systems and the cheapest computers they can buy. Junk in junk out.

Believe me when I say this. I have had probably 30-40 disc players over the years. Nobody back then made one that could stand the abuse of 5 -6-7 nights a week, week after week.

With cds fading into oblivion who still even makes a player worth anything.

I would never waste any money on a disc player today.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:With cds fading into oblivion who still even makes a player worth anything.
That's a good point and I've tried to get across to the KJ's I support that discs will be dead within 10 years or less and downloads will be the only way to get tracks.

As an interesting aside, considering the various threads about format shifting, I really should contact Sunfly to find out what their stance is on this.

I've downloaded a few songs from the Sunfly website for the KJ team and converted them to CD+G without even thinking about it.

They are CD+G based, after all and there's nothing I can find on the Sunfly site that implicitly forbids making CD+G discs from the downloaded MP3+G files.

Sandy
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I had a more detailed look at the Sunfly website Faq section and one of the questions posed is as follows;

Can I burn my downloaded tracks to disc?
This really depends on how much you know about computers! Burning our downloaded tracks to disc is possible but needs a fair bit of computer knowledge & the correct hardware & software. Because of this we promote our downloads for playback on your computer only, so I'm afraid we can not help with any problems you're having burning the tracks to disc.

If you are planning on burning your downloads to disc, we suggest you download the free sample tracks for testing before placing your order.

Customers with Karaoke Mixers such as Karaoke Studio Pro, Wireless Karaoke Set or Plug ‘n’ Sing must use their computer as a DVD player. To do this, your computer needs to have an audio (red/white) and video (yellow) output to connect to the Karaoke Mixer.

Given the information above, it seems Sunfly at least doesn't have it's corporate head buried in the sand and allows format shift, presumably on a 1:1 basis.

You can find out this info here;

www.singsunfly.com/faq.aspx

Well done Sunfly.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Converting music media over to a hard drive is going to be the accepted norm until something else comes along.

I said before it looks like Sound Choice and others can't stop format shifting they just have a problem with using their logo more than 1-1.

Computers are the future for now. Disc will surely die. What happened to floppy discs? ALREADY??

CDs are going down.

Flash drives and hard drives.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:Computers are the future for now. Disc will surely die. What happened to floppy discs? ALREADY??

CDs are going down.

Flash drives and hard drives.
Floppy discs? I still use 'em. The main problem is that most new PC's don't support them, hence the availability of USB floppy and CD/DVD units.

Be very careful with flash drives! There are many faked and hacked drives around that claim to be 16Gb and above but are almost all 2Gb or 4Gb in fact.

There are freeware programs that will test the drives but they are very slow, as they basically fill the drive with a known test file that is then read back to check for errors.

I have a "32Gb" pendrive that is, in fact, only 2Gb.

So much for a bargain off Ebay!!!

If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Imagine if a karaoke producer, Sunfly as a perfect example, would decide to take advantage of all this K.I.A.A. drama and go crazy releasing every karaoke song out there that could replace all those released by the big three. All in the mp3+g format, on discs and downloadable, and with full permission to use them for public performance (with 1:1 compliance of course). No contracts, audits, or other BS. A fortune to be made?

Ok... someone wake me up now.