MTU CD+G info: Propaganda or Reality?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
himipetz

MTU CD+G info: Propaganda or Reality?

Post by himipetz »

Is the stuff about how you need MTU equipment to burn CD+Gs that work true? :?:

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

NO!!!
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

In the older days I ran an HP 8100 writer and a 8200 writer. Both would write CD+G's as well as rip them perfectly. Now I use PowerKaraoke burner and it works with a stock dell writer. So no you don't need MTU's equipment to burn.
However not every drive supports CDG. My stock writer in my hosting laptop is not compatible. The only advantage you have by purchasing MTU's stuff is that the drive's have been tested and found to work with their software.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:Now I use PowerKaraoke burner and it works with a stock dell writer.

So no you don't need MTU's equipment to burn.
However not every drive supports CDG.
Ditto on PowerKaraokeBurner (PKB)

Very reasonably priced. Burns directly from ZIP files, Rips, etc.

On the subject of CDG compatibility drives, PKB has more than one burning option and "should" work with any drive that supports DAO packet burn.

The CD+G issue is more of an issue with READING CD+G discs, rather than burning them.

If in doubt, Google for and download Nero's Infotool.

This will give you information on your drive and while I appreciate Wiseguy doesn't seem to think much of it, it does give very good info and shows clearly what options your drive supports.

Sandy.
himipetz

Post by himipetz »

Checked. My external burner does not read nor write CD+Gs correctly. :(
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Don't rely on any infotool to tell you if your drive will work. Download a demo copy of Power CD+G Burner and try it.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:If in doubt, Google for and download Nero's Infotool.

This will give you information on your drive and while I appreciate Wiseguy doesn't seem to think much of it, it does give very good info and shows clearly what options your drive supports.
With all due respect Sandy, I have received numerous emails from those who reported that Nero said their drive was not CD+G compatible only to find out that it worked perfectly with Power CD+G Burner.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:
mnementh wrote:If in doubt, Google for and download Nero's Infotool.

With all due respect Sandy, I have received numerous emails from those who reported that Nero said their drive was not CD+G compatible only to find out that it worked perfectly with Power CD+G Burner.
That's because PowerCD+G Burner short cuts previous methods of using 2 or 3 different programs to generate an IMAGE file. THEN it writes to a standard CD writer using standard image writing techniques.

However, in order to PLAY CD+G, your drive MUST be CD+G compatible, otherwise, your just get the audio.

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:That's because PowerCD+G Burner short cuts previous methods of using 2 or 3 different programs to generate an IMAGE file. THEN it writes to a standard CD writer using standard image writing techniques.

However, in order to PLAY CD+G, your drive MUST be CD+G compatible, otherwise, your just get the audio.

Sandy
True enough, but the OP was inquiring about burning a CD+G disc. The infotool could lead him to falsely believe that his burner could not be used for this purpose. Just sayin'.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:
mnementh wrote:That's because PowerCD+G Burner short cuts previous methods of using 2 or 3 different programs to generate an IMAGE file. THEN it writes to a standard CD writer using standard image writing techniques.

Sandy
True enough, but the OP was inquiring about burning a CD+G disc. The infotool could lead him to falsely believe that his burner could not be used for this purpose. Just sayin'.
My burner comes up as not being compliant yet it works under power Karaoke and CDGRIP.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

For anyone interested in finding out just how difficult it used to be to make CD+G discs, have a look here;

http://www.jbum.com/cdg_revealed.html

This was written in 1995, when VERY few CD drives supported CD+G (either READ or WRITE) and image writers were nowhere to be found.

If your drive didn't support CD+G write function, then it was a fairly involved process to get the MP3+G into an "image" format that could be written successfully.

If I remember correctly, I had to use WinCDR to generate "Cue" & "Bin" files that were then converted by CopyCD into an "image" file, that was only then written to the CD.

Since writing software could write images to the CD Subchannel, the requirement for the burner to be CD+G compliant essentially, "went away".

PowerKaraokeBurner simply removes the need for the first "pain in the butt" steps.

Sandy