Getting Set Up

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Up Nort

Getting Set Up

Post by Up Nort »

This may be another question that is out of place in this forum and I appologize if it is. I'm looking for some direction on how and what I need to do to play Karaoke downloads, accompany with my guitar and record the whole works to my laptop. I have the downloads on my laptop, I have a Behringer UCA202 audio interface, I have a Peavey Special 130 guitar amp, microphones. Do I need to get a mixer and do I need to have a PA system as well? I'm doing this mainly for fun at home or at family gatherings and to do some music for Seniors at the nursing Home. I was looking at some 2 and 4 channel mixers but then I wasn't sure if they hook into speakers or do they hook into a PA system. I get frustrated not being able to figure this stuff out from what information I can ffind on the net.
Thank you people

mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

First off I'm not an expert on guitar set up but I do have a Guitar myself. The output from a guitar is very low so it needs a preamp to boost the signal which guitar amplifiers have built in. Now not knowing what inputs and outputs you have on your Peavey, unless your guitar amp has a record out or some output source then you can't use that other than playing your guitar. However if it has a headphone out then you can utilize this for inputting a signal into your computer. Also if it has a mike in jack then this will record your voice at the same time.

Then of course you need some software to record: try this free one: http://www.roemersoftware.com/moreinfo5.html

Other than that there are some pretty good hardware devices from Line 6 which is what I have to make this simpler: http://uk.line6.com/podstudioux2/
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

c'mon guys, he stated he's only doing it for a hobby, I am sure he isn't gonna want to break the bank.

for senior homes and home use this should be good enough. Even has a cd player in it so that if he doesn't need the lyrics he can still perform. Just burn a disc with the songs you wanna use and instant playlist.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... 2000000000
DanG2006

Re: Getting Set Up

Post by DanG2006 »

Up Nort wrote:This may be another question that is out of place in this forum and I appologize if it is. I'm looking for some direction on how and what I need to do to play Karaoke downloads, accompany with my guitar and record the whole works to my laptop. I have the downloads on my laptop, I have a Behringer UCA202 audio interface, I have a Peavey Special 130 guitar amp, microphones. Do I need to get a mixer and do I need to have a PA system as well? I'm doing this mainly for fun at home or at family gatherings and to do some music for Seniors at the nursing Home. I was looking at some 2 and 4 channel mixers but then I wasn't sure if they hook into speakers or do they hook into a PA system. I get frustrated not being able to figure this stuff out from what information I can ffind on the net.
Thank you people
There are a couple of ways to use a two channel mixer. One is a powered mixer where the amp is built into the mixer. with it you would needa pair of passive (no amps in them) PA speakers.
The other mixer choice has two ways to amplify the signal.
1:powered speakers which have the amplifier built into the speakers.
or
2:separate amplifier - you would then need the same type of speakers as the powered mixer.
For you I would suggest a unpowered mixer with the powered speakers because you're such a newbie (nothing wrong with that, I was anewbie once myself), you really don't wanna have to figure out how to match your speakers with a powered mixer or separate amplifier.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Just been looking at the spec on google of your Peavey guitar amp and I can't see any inputs for mike, it does have a preamp out so you would be able to output the guitar effects sounds to your computer to record but would need a mixer to mix the guitar, mike and computers audio out. If you want to go as DanG2006 suggest for your live performance, I would suggest getting a mixer with record out or an extra line out so that you can send the mixed signal back to your computer to record the mix or alternatively to a tape recorder.
Other than that the line 6 devise I mentioned in my previous post is not only good for your home recording without setting up all the PA equipment but can be used for live performance in place of your peavey amp if your want to use guitar effects in your live show.
Up Nort

Post by Up Nort »

Thank you for your advice and information. I truelly appreciate it. I've been using the Peavey amp as a PA as well as the guitar. Plugging a mic into the peavey, does that do anything to cause a problem with the amp using it as a PA?
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

As I said previously, I can not see a dedicated Mike in connection.
From what I could see there were 2 inputs on the front 1 high gain, you would usually use this for your guitar 2nd input low gain, you may be able to plug a mike into this but I don't see independent volume control, if you have tried it and it sounds OK then fine, use it as your PA.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The guitar amplifier..wasn't made for vocals....PAs are made for everything.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

We all use PA systems that have mixers, amplifiers, speakers.

Our microphones and music go through the PA mixer.

Simple explanation....From Microphone/guitar/music source into the mixer. From the mixer out to the amplifer. From the amplifer out to the speakers.

We all have our own ideas and needs as to how big and sophisticated our PA systems are.

I'll say this...cheap equipment sounds cheap.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:I'll say this...cheap equipment sounds cheap.
Oh dear!!!

Think I should link you to the DIYAUDIO bbs that I'm a member on.

Lot's of them would seriously dispute that comment. :P

Apart from how you define" SOUNDS cheap ", that would get us on to how speaker wire and interconnects that cost $200 a foot can make a significant difference to the "SOUND" of a system.

As a long time electronics/physics/chemistry guy, I have yet to be provided with scientific proof that these things make the slightest difference to the "SOUND".

Obviously, my Caveat would be that the cables has to at least be fit for the job; there would be no point connecting bell wire from a 1000w amp to huge speakers but I bet it's been tried!!!

Have look here;

http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

Go down the page to the "Cables" section and have a read.

Some might have their eyes (and ears) opened a bit.

Sandy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Dress a pig in a tuxedo and it's still a pig.

$10,000 speaker wires can not make cheap equipment sound better.
etechstan

Post by etechstan »

I doubt very much a guitar amplifier can handle what you are planning to put into it. At the minimum, a bass or keyboard amp would suit you better. Keep an eye on craigslist and check the used pages on guitarcenter's website; I've found many bargains there.