"Challenged" Singers

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

"Challenged" Singers

Post by Bigdog »

This topic is about people that are mentally challenged that want to sing.

The other night during the show I was approached by a man that was mentally challenged. You could tell he was retarded. Not really knowing what to expect from certain people I was a little apprehensive. But he came up to say hi and give me "five.". Then he walked away to the other side of the bar.

Turns out he was with his female cousin. It was their first time to my show. She sang very well. After her song she handed me a slip with his name (Bob, changed to protect the innocent) on it and asked if he could sing. My answer is always yes.

She sang along with him. The song was a song his father sings..New York, New York. Now you couldn't really understand all the words he sang but that was OK. When he was done he said "thank you Dad" in the microphone.

She brought the microphones up and walked away telling me thanks. Bob came up to me smiling and gave me five again and also a hug and a kiss on the cheek telling me he really liked me. I could tell he was really excited about singing. I was a little surprised by his actions but took it in stride with no embarrassment.

When she came up with another slip for both of them I told her what he did. She told me the whole family sings and goes to karaoke pretty regularly. But that Bob would always question why he could not do (sing) as many songs as everyone else. Apparently many KJs skip Bob after his first song. I told her I have heard of many KJs (JERKS) that skip normal people just because they want to sing a slow song. I told her my policy of treating everyone equal regardless of their talent level, or how much money they spend or any other stipulations.

She also told me people with his condition rarely live to be his age (45 I think she said) and that they consider it a blessing that he has lived so long.

To all you Asshole KJs that would refuse to let someone like Bob participate like everyone else and discriminate against any singer for any reason just to protect your reputation or not interfere with your high energy show...screw you.

You would rather cater to drunks & jerks that want to scream out every swear word known to man and disrespect you, your crowd and the bar for the sake of fun, where is the reward?

I have other challenged singers coming to my shows. I'm not worried about my reputation or what others will think of me.

The microscopic DNA sequence failure during Bob's fetal development could have happened to you. He did not ask for his condition. He has to live with it. Seeing the joy and excitement he derived from the simple act of singing a song just like everyone else was worth the reward. My show didn't collapse. My reputation isn't tarnished. I don't care if anyone was offended or won't come back because of my tiny act of compassion and kindness toward another less fortunate human being. I'm glad that it was me that brought a small amount of sunshine to his life. He can hug me and kiss me everytime we meet. I won't be embarrassed or worried about what anyone thinks about me or my show.

Your show isn't all about you. Or looking cool. Like it or not you are part of the human race and the world doesn't revolve around you, thankfully. Consider it an act of kindness and compassion for someone but for the grace of God could have been you. What if Bob was your brother or sister? Would you want them treated like a freak? Would you want a KJ skipping them?

I may not make it to heaven, but you surely won't. I will continue to do whatever I can so every singer is treated fairly and with the dignity they deserve.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I also treat everyone the same and give them the same chances to sing regardless of their circumstances (Mentally Challenged, bad singer etc.).
Most of the KJ's here are jerks and skip you based on just how well you sing. Not me. If you're there from the beginning of the night you can expect to sing as much as anyone else. That's if you're there early.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
djBe

Post by djBe »

Very interesting thread.

Here in my hometown we had an asperger-like karaoke regular who made the rounds of all the karaoke shows - mine and others - for many years. He was an exceptionally bad and tone-deaf, timing-deaf singer from a technical point of view, very loud and with an alarmingly hard-to-endure vocal quality as well. Maybe the worst club karaoke singer of all time. Really. Nonetheless, we all let him sing with various caveats. Some KJs sandbagged him. Others turned him way down. I kept him in my rotation fairly but turned him down somewhat and hoped for the best. I couldn't cover him with multiplex either, it just made him sound more offkey and offtime. I worked the crowd hard to win them over to him and by and large they did. But over the years he cost me at least one gig i know of, the result of a clubowner being in proximity and seeing patrons exit quickly as happened often with this particular singer.

In my town, about 100,000 people, his presence could very well have made a negative impact on the entire karaoke scene over time, as people form their opinions from the most memorable experiences...they leave in horror from a bad singer, that's their impression of club karaoke, and thus miss the next performer who maybe totally nails it. Recently this singer moved away to a larger city and I wish him well of course but I am also relieved. {:=O He is some other KJ's challenge now.
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

djBe wrote:Very interesting thread.

Here in my hometown we had an asperger-like karaoke regular who made the rounds of all the karaoke shows - mine and others - for many years. He was an exceptionally bad and tone-deaf, timing-deaf singer from a technical point of view, very loud and with an alarmingly hard-to-endure vocal quality as well. Maybe the worst club karaoke singer of all time. Really. Nonetheless, we all let him sing with various caveats. Some KJs sandbagged him. Others turned him way down. I kept him in my rotation fairly but turned him down somewhat and hoped for the best. I couldn't cover him with multiplex either, it just made him sound more offkey and offtime. I worked the crowd hard to win them over to him and by and large they did. But over the years he cost me at least one gig i know of, the result of a clubowner being in proximity and seeing patrons exit quickly as happened often with this particular singer.

In my town, about 100,000 people, his presence could very well have made a negative impact on the entire karaoke scene over time, as people form their opinions from the most memorable experiences...they leave in horror from a bad singer, that's their impression of club karaoke, and thus miss the next performer who maybe totally nails it. Recently this singer moved away to a larger city and I wish him well of course but I am also relieved. {:=O He is some other KJ's challenge now.
I have this guy too. :shock: Moves like he has tourettes syndrome and all the songs sound the same...6 note range. Comes to every job. :roll: First singer every night. The bar owner and I had a discussion about him again tonight. He wishes he would stop coming. He thinks he's wonderful because he gets the biggest applause. :lol: The bartender told me she has heard people loudly making fun of him. He is very comical to watch. He gets pretty worked up while singing. Puts his heart into it it. Drinks 1 or 2 pops during the night. So is he chasing away more business than he spends? My guess is yes. I can't be ignorant to him.
djBe

Post by djBe »

Ok, so how do you handle it besides hopin' and copin'? I will sometimes shuffle play a video right afer im to give the crowd some guaranteed relief.
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Treating a handicapped person differently, whether it be a mental or physical handicap, is discrimination plain and simple. I will not practice nor tolerate discrimination in any form at my shows. Over the years I have had regulars who were mentally challenged and very bad singers. Every one of them were treated exactly like the rest of the crowd every time. I'll make no attempt to apologize or compensate anyone for their presence or for allowing them to sing in the rotation.

A song is about four minutes long. Anyone in the crowd who is unable to tolerate a bad singer for this amount of time should feel free to leave and not return. If someone should feel the need to make fun of them they better not let me catch them. I have never lost a show because of a handicapped person although I have quit a couple of bars that practiced discrimination.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:Treating a handicapped person, whether it be a mental or physical handicap, is discrimination plain and simple. I will not practice nor tolerate discrimination in any form at my shows. Over the years I have had regulars who were mentally challenged and very bad singers. Every one of them were treated exactly like the rest of the crowd every time. I'll make no attempt to apologize or compensate anyone for their presence or for allowing them to sing in the rotation.

A song is about four minutes long. Anyone in the crowd who is unable to tolerate a bad singer for this amount of time should feel free to leave and not return. If someone should feel the need to make fun of them they better not let me catch them. I have never lost a show because of a handicapped person although I have quit a couple of bars that practiced discrimination.
What he said!

Sandy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have experienced many times over the years people (listeners) walking out whenever a really bad singer sings. And I don't get that many...so I can just imagine the crowd reactions to KJs that get a majority of bad singers.

Having a challeneged person once in a while as an excuse is one thing....but just having bunch of singers that suck for no other reason is another.

I'm still after 19 years with every show trying to get the crowd to overcome the stigma that karaoke created 25 years ago.

The "It's nothing but a bunch of screaming drunks singing off key" thing....let's get out of here.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

When it comes to singers good, bad. and everything in between, is subjective. By my standards the majority of singers are what I refer to as "typical karaoke singers". They can sing in tune, are able to keep in time with the lyrics, and have a decent tone.

Good singers have a great vocal range, sing in virtually perfect pitch, and get the crowd's full attention whenever they sing. There may be one or two of these singers at any given show.

Bad singers always sing off key, have no timing, and are usually the ones who have to get drunk before they will sing. These are about as rare as good singers.

Great singers are very rare even in the professional realm.

I have been invited by other KJs to come to their show and hear all the great singers they have. Every time I go I find that they have a bunch of typical karaoke singers just like everyone else.

Karaoke was designed for, has always been for, and will always be for, the moderately talented singer. It's not something pursued by the serious artist or someone looking to be discovered. Taking it too seriously destroys what it is intended to be.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I had a couple tonight that was auditioning their acoustic duo act for the owners...I suspect. They actually work in another bar I do.

I have had a few people that ended up with recording contracts. I get people that are trying to be discovered. Not so much lately but years ago it was pretty popular.

But I have also had people that sing good come in thinking they were going to be the star of the show only to find out they were out numbered by many other equally talented people. Many of those type have never been back. So that tells me they like going to crap sounding shows so they can be the star. Even a good singer can still sound very good on a crap sounding system.

Just because I attract singers that have more talent and take karaoke a little more seriously doesn't mean nobody has fun. Having singers that can truly entertain the listeners is a very nice thing. It's fun being entertained night after night. There is a portion of my crowd that are just regular listeners that come to hear the talent.

I had a job years ago where 90% of the singers were excellent. It was literally like being at a concert for free. I always have people from local bands at my shows.

You couldn't pay me enough money to trade the crowds I attract for the screaming drunks.

What is really weird.... in the last week I had two different people offer me $1000 each to do a sporting event thing and a private party in June. One approached me at a job and the other on the phone. The sports guy has literally been hounding me for 2-3 months now. He wants me to do this thing really bad. I don't do parties or wedding anymore. But these offers came because of the quality system I use. The phone job was from a doctor that had me do a party for him 10 years ago.

I like impressing people with my sound. And the good singers sound impressive. They like sounding good. It's not a crime to want to sound good. The drunks don't care and they don't matter to me.

I refuse to go to other karaoke shows to sing, because I have spoiled myself. I'm trying to spoil all the good singers.

I'm not surprised when someone sings good at my show. I'm surprised when someone sucks. It is just the opposite for most KJs. They get a good singer and kiss their ass to stay and sing because it's so rare. Whenever most singers find out how bad they really sound they don't want to come back.

I'm not in the business of chasing away any singers. But I really won't tolerate or cater to the buttwipes. They sorta know when they don't fit in with what everyone else is doing. I will do everything in my power to cater to someone challenged.
djBe

Post by djBe »

@wiseguy...all good points, but KJs have a responsibility not only to their singers, but to the crowd and the bar as well....KJs are soundguys as well as hosts with the goal of making the show sound as appealing as possible. If a singer is really bad there is no unfairness in turning his vocal down somewhat and the music up a bit, that's simply skill on the dials.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

djBe wrote:@wiseguy...all good points, but KJs have a responsibility not only to their singers, but to the crowd and the bar as well....KJs are soundguys as well as hosts with the goal of making the show sound as appealing as possible. If a singer is really bad there is no unfairness in turning his vocal down somewhat and the music up a bit, that's simply skill on the dials.
My responsibility has and always will be to the singer first and everyone falls in line behind. If I turn down a singer's mic just because they are a bad singer he/she will almost surely notice and feel insulted... and rightfully so. The greatest singer and poorest singer will always get treated equally in every way including the audio to vocal mix.

The day I start believing that karaoke is about good singers is the day I get out of the business.
djBe

Post by djBe »

Respectfully disagree. The bad singer is likely to feel worse if everyone leaves the room during his song than if I tweak his mix a little bit.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

There have been many times over the years where I have finished a song and crickets were louder....and the worst singer in the bar gets a standing ovation..

I have people walking out all the time while I'm singing the first song...but these are people that don't like or want to be there for the karaoke.

If people walk out during a bad singers performance and I've seen it many times...there is nothing I can do...I would probably be leaving if I wasn't working.. :roll:

Do I think some people are staying away from my shows because of bad singers...(I do have a few) That's a real possibility.

Why do the worst singers alway show up to be the first to sing?

I wouldn't feel right screwing with the sound or skipping anyone because of their talent level.

Many people will take a bathroom break or smoke break during a really bad singer...some have just left for the night..
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If you can't put up with a bad singer now and then you should not go to karaoke shows at all. The concept of karaoke was not to showcase talented singers. A KJ does not have the right to "censor" any singer because of their talent level.