Backup Vocals Issues

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Backup Vocals Issues

Post by Bigdog »

Many singers...myself included want to sing to music that sounds just like the original song. This includes having backup singers if they were in the original song.

I have had some problems in the past with a few Sound Choice & others songs not having backup vocals or having the backup singers singing the part I was supposed to sing.

Well yesterday I received a new disc from Just Tracks (professionally styled background tracks) with a notation on the back of the case that says

Backup vocals omitted on all songs. :shock: :evil:

The disc was $23.95 :evil: :evil: :evil:

I don't own a lot of Just Tracks discs...is this the same on all their discs?

If so, I won't be wasting anymore money on them. I don't care how good the musical part is if the backup singers are missing many times this makes the entire song suck.

Backup with harmonies sometimes are the main thing to make a song sound so good...without them you have elevator music....

I'm not very happy about this.... :shock:

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I understand there could be occasions where you only want to have the music....but karaoke isn't one of them and if they only sell half complete karaoke song renditions it should be stated so in a note on all karaoke disc selling sites beside the disc description..... :evil:

Then a Professional KJ could make an informed buying desision and not waste money on a pretend karaoke disc.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Along with on-screen lyrics, backing vocals are what differentiate a karaoke song track from an instrumental. Just Tracks are produced by Pocket Songs. I have a few Just Tracks and other Pocket Songs discs and as far as I know they all contain backing vocals. I do recall that some Pocket Songs packaging stated "Background Tracks Only (no vocal demo)" but this is not the same as "Backup vocals omitted".
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

After carefully looking at the inside and outside of the case....nowhere does it say it's a karaoke disc. :evil:

But it is a CD+G...there is even a lyric book included and the word karaoke never appears anywhere... :evil:

There is no way of doing a minute inspection of the disc and case on any karaoke site where this disc is listed for sale...so without someone actually stating on the site beside the discs for sale that they don't contain back up vocals....you don't know what you are getting.

So I say I just won't take the chance anymore on any of their discs hoping that they just might have back up vocals if they are in the original song. I'm not going to waste money on risky purchases...

I feel this disc should have been listed as an instrumental disc. :evil:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

While most people associate CD+G with karaoke discs the fact is that not all CD+G discs are karaoke discs. I suppose the lesson to be learned here is to always make sure that you are buying a "karaoke CD+G".

I noticed on the Pocket Songs site that they list discs by various genres and then they have Just Tracks which leads me to suspect that this describes these discs as "just audio tracks" or instrumentals. While I do have some Just Tracks discs (in storage) I don't think I have any of their song tracks in my current karaoke library. I might have to dig one out and try it.

I do agree that an audio CD+G disc should be labeled either karaoke or instrumental.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Another disc in this order is SC9012....

On the back it says Sound Choice Accompaniment Tracks...

But the back up vocals are on it. Which by the accompaniment track statement you wouldn't expect.

There needs to be a better way of designating exactly what you are buying.

Had I seen that on the disc I probably wouldn't have bought it. Thinking the back up vocals wouldn't be there. :?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I shot down my Just Tracks theory by playing one of their discs (all Beatles songs) and finding it does indeed have backing vocals. At this point in time I find it very unlikely that an "industry standard" labeling convention will be adopted. So if it doesn't say "karaoke CD+G" then I guess we better ask before ordering.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:I shot down my Just Tracks theory by playing one of their discs (all Beatles songs) and finding it does indeed have backing vocals. At this point in time I find it very unlikely that an "industry standard" labeling convention will be adopted. So if it doesn't say "karaoke CD+G" then I guess we better ask before ordering.
I can just hear the salesperson now.

You want me to see if the disc has backup vocals on the tracks? :shock:

That means I have to play each song and that ain't gonna happen... :evil:

I have to go with a sure thing and that means I won't be buying anymore Just Tracks discs...sorry...
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If the company selling the product does not know the particulars of it and cannot tell me whether or not it has backing vocals I'm not buying anything off of them anyway.