Media shifting w/o permission a violation of manu's rights

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
DanG2006

Media shifting w/o permission a violation of manu's rights

Post by DanG2006 »

A KJ in Arizona has been found guilty of trademark infringement even though he is 1:1 compliant. The reason is he did not get the proper authorization to make the media shift by the manufacturer of said discs. He now is not allowed to play SC music off of his computer because of this.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Ahhh...for how many years have we been talking about Sound Choice and their telling EVERYONE that they were OK with a 1-1 copy?

This is BS and they are liars...PERIOD. :evil:
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Dan, where did you get this information? Can you give us a link to to a copy of the actual judgement that was handed down?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

There is a lot of backstory on this. While he was found 1:1 compliant in discovery, much of what he had he bought after being named in the suit.
When I get the authorization to post a copy of the documents I will. It is in a restricted area right now of another forum.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:There is a lot of backstory on this. While he was found 1:1 compliant in discovery, much of what he had he bought after being named in the suit.
When I get the authorization to post a copy of the documents I will. It is in a restricted area right now of another forum.
Ah... the plot thickens. I'll reserve comment until I can read the particulars except to say that this was Arizona a state that is infamous for making idiotic judicial decisions.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Actually I thought it was. I just don't know the policies of referring to another forum here or much less linking to it.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:Actually I thought it was. I just don't know the policies of referring to another forum here or much less linking to it.
There is no policy here for referring to another forum. This forum has always been about sharing karaoke related information and any links to this type of information are welcome.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DanG2006 wrote:There is a lot of backstory on this. While he was found 1:1 compliant in discovery, much of what he had he bought after being named in the suit.
And exactly how could they prove when he bought them? If you have the discs you wouldn't need a sales slip...
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The places he bought them from cooperated with the investigation. Plus they required more information than just show us your discs which is what the non sued voluntary auditors are required. They included financial records to show where the money they made actually went and receipts for every purchase of discs.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Here is where i found out about the issue: http://karaokeusa.forumotion.com/t153-d ... ase-closed

makes interesting reading.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

After reading the above link there's one thing that puzzles me, If he refused an audit how did he prove he was 1 to 1 compliant ?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have been buying discs for almost 20 years...and I should be expected to produce 20 year old receipts?

Show them my income tax records...how does that prove how and when I bought discs....??? My income tax records show I bought discs every year for 20 years...doesn't prove they where Sound Choice or not....

IRS says you only need to keep records for 5 years and 7 if in business.

If someone gives me a disc....there is no record of that. I have had people give me discs...

If I have one disc and back it up....I have the disc as proof of ownership...possession is 9/10 of the law.. A paper trail could help if there is a question...but let's face it...a CD isn't exactly a car or boat or snow mobile..or a house....

My thoughts are the judge will say you are nit picking....they can not prove it is not your disc and you can because you have it.

I buy all my discs at garage sales... :wink:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mr.dj wrote:After reading the above link there's one thing that puzzles me, If he refused an audit how did he prove he was 1 to 1 compliant ?
I imagine the court ordered him to supply this evidence.

Actually, having receipts for his discs is a moot point. The court found him to be 1:1 compliant so apparently SC's argument (if they made one) that he bought the discs after being named in the suit did not hold up.

And again, this was Arizona. Not the most progressive state by any measure. I'm not sure the outcome would be the same in a state like California.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

As I see it, as he refused an audit SC could not prove he wasn't 1 To 1 compliant so did not sue on those grounds but instead went for the not applying for permission to media shift.
Which to do he would have had to have had the audit.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The big thing is that the judge said that he had not gotten permission to media shift the product over to hard drive and so is ordered not to do so until he gets written permission to do so. To do that he has to go through the audit.