How many of these disc brands do you remember?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
wiseguy
Site Admin

How many of these disc brands do you remember?

Post by wiseguy »

A visitor to my site suggested that I supply a listing of karaoke disc ID's (codes). It seemed like a reasonable request to me so I set out to compile the list. It was actually kind of nostalgic being that I have seen these disc brands come and go over my 20 years in this business.

You can see the list on the lower part of the Karaoke Disc Information page. I'm sure it's not 100% complete and if you know of any disc ID's I missed please let me know.

CORVETTE

Post by CORVETTE »

A Couple more -
Honky Cat
Homestar
Laughing Knome
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

CORVETTE wrote:A Couple more -
Honky Cat
Homestar
Laughing Knome
Thanks, they have been added to the list.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:
CORVETTE wrote:A Couple more -
Honky Cat
Homestar
Laughing Knome
Thanks, they have been added to the list.
Laughing Knome should be Laughing Gnome.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Amazing list.

Now what is the reason 99% of them are gone?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:Amazing list.

Now what is the reason 99% of them are gone?
The majority of them never really took off. They made a few discs and then disappeared. And this was in a time when there was no format shifting and few pirates. It goes to show that there are other factors that cause karaoke music manufacturers to fail.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Some were so good other companies bought them up. Some were so bad nobody wanted to buy their stuff. I remember many bad karaoke versions coming out that had fake instruments and just were not technically that good.

The karaoke singers became more selective in the versions they wanted to sing. The cheap KJs bought the cheapest music.

I just had some singers tell me about a local KJ they went to see that to me from what they described ...he is using many midi karaoke songs. They complained the music didn't sound as good as mine.

To me any good karaoke manufacturer should be using real instruments and have background singers if the original song had them.

I played through some songs I wanted to sing last month and I was disappointed that songs that clearly originally had background vocals...were absent. And these were on Sound Choice songs. The music sounded really good and when the time came for the backup singers...there was nothing...and in a few the "background" singers were singing my part...so if I wanted to sing the song I had to do the backup part. FRUSTRATING...

The moral of the story is...NO karaoke company ever got every song they did correct. Just like every other copy cat band...some are really good and some suck. Some karaoke versions surprised me.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

NO karaoke company ever got every song they did correct.
Or even close to every song and there is absolutely no excuse for it.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have some versions of songs...that are hard to tell what song it actually is.

Some messed up the musical hook which is the most recognisable and rememberable part of the song. I'll never understand how they figured it would be ok to sell those.

Many still get the words wrong...now I don't know if it's an attempt to get around a copyright thing or they are just stupid.

Who would actually by midi karaoke songs for playing out for money?

A cheap it's good enough for karaoke KJ..that has an equally cheap sounding system and plays for little to no money..