The End Of Discs completely

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

Would you use this if this is the only means to access new music?

yes
17%
no
83%

Total votes: 6

DanG2006

The End Of Discs completely

Post by DanG2006 »

What do Karaoke Producers, software writers, karaoke sales reps and machine manufacturers have in common other than karaoke? They got together to discuss the day the disc became obsolete. Introduce the karaoke cloud where library will no longer be a selling point as everyone will have access to the same library of 60,000 songs. Granted there will be duplicates in there. for a monthly fee one would have instant access to the library. We're talking streaming or tethering songs to the device running the shows that can be deactivated if one doesn't visit the Karaoke Cloud site to check in every so often, I hearing either every three days or even before your monthly subscription is up.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I voted no and this will never be the only way to get new music. This system could possibly be a good deal for a new KJ who has no karaoke music.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

All the major disc manufacturers are on board, including Sunfly, Zoom, Stellar (Pop Hits Monthly), Sound Choice and Digitrax (CB). What are you going to do for music if all those stop producing discs and choose to enter the Karaoke Cloud?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

There is a huge and growing number of home karaoke consumers. These people will have no use for this large library. They will create an increasing demand for individual karaoke song purchases. The manufacturers are not foolish enough to ignore this massive market of customers. They are left with no choice but to sell individual downloads of their new releases.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I can see several issues with this.

1. How would it be paid for? Every use. Every song.

2. Do you actually own anything?

3. Can you lose everything?

4. Maybe my selection is what keeps people coming to my show.

5. What about songs I already own?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What would stop everyone from being a KJ??
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If everyone has access to all the music I have...why would anyone want or need to come to karaoke shows..if any show survive?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/electroni ... 06091.html

We are part of this trend.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The Karaoke Cloud has a pro side and a home side. To be used by hosts there is a fee for use that is going to be more expensive than the home market version. The home market version would be internet only with a few purchasing options. The Pro version will be set to work through a hosting program, right now there is two working towards this that I know for certain: MTU Hoster and PCDJ Karaoki. I am hoping COmpuhost jumps on board as well for my sake so I don't have to purchase more software or even a newer computer.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I'm telling you that a whole lot of people are not going to pay a monthly fee for home karaoke. What will happen is some new manufacturers will emerge to fill that huge void in the market. This would be a good thing when you think about it some.

My prediction is if the 60,000 songs are released on some device it will not be long before someone reverse engineers it and you will see those songs being sold illegally or given away at some torrent site. The same will happen with streaming when someone decides to capture the streamed media to a file format and redistribute it.

I really don't see the point to all of this. If these companies want to offer this type of system to the public that is fine but to try and force everyone into a monthly payment plan just to get new karaoke music is ridiculous.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

First of all how will a home user use songs if not through a hosting program?

Then..if you look at the demographics...the professional KJ is a very small market share. So if I was this group my target would be home users.

Also it sounds like they just want to rent (lease) the music and not allow anyone to own it.

Ask anyone you know that sings if they are willing to pay to sing every song?

My guess is a flat out no way...so now what. If I have to lease a libray instead of owning it...that cuts into my already small profit margin.

Most bars are going to stop doing karaoke if the economy doesn't get better...So targeting the home user is even more important to this group.
We will be hung out to dry.

In the hay day...having 2-5 nonsingers for every singer was the norm. I had 30 singers last night and the ratio was at or below 1-1....

Home users won't even be able to sing at home without a disc player. Unless they plug a microphone into their computer. This will kill their computer speakers. And sound like most of my competition. :lol:

It will turn them all into KJs....think about the competition then.

If I have to....my music buying will cease....I'll play with what I have until the last dog dies..

The home users can bring me the songs they want to sing...

You talk about PIRACY..wait until this happens...Piracy will be off the charts...SKY HIGH..everyone will be a pirate then.

Their excuse will be... we already paid for it at home...and they will be correct.

Just pay once...burn every song to their hard drive and never access the site again....

Every disc company will be out of business in a month..
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:It will turn them all into KJs....think about the competition then.
This is just another example of how the karaoke manufacturers don't give a damn about the KJ who has been a long time loyal customer. With this cloud system anybody can start a karaoke business with all the songs that you spent thousands of dollars for and years collecting. It's just like competing against the pirates with loaded hard drives except these will be legal.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

After looking into this cloud system it appears the poll question is a moot point. From what I discern the karaoke music manufacturers have no plans to stop offering individual downloads of old and new releases. The cloud system would simply be an available option.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:All the major disc manufacturers are on board, including Sunfly, Zoom, Stellar (Pop Hits Monthly), Sound Choice and Digitrax (CB). What are you going to do for music if all those stop producing discs and choose to enter the Karaoke Cloud?
I'm still unsure of how this can be implemented without tying the downloaded files up in some manner.

If I remember correctly, it's certainly possible to "time bomb" or limit plays of downloaded files (I'm sure this is done with movies), i.e. the file self destructs in say a week or can only be played say a maximum of 5 times.

I'm fundamentally opposed to any system that requires constant web access to "stream" content.

Let's face it, what happens if your connection goes mammaries up? Your audience isn't going to give a toss that you're having equipmernt problems, is it?

The other factor is that if the above manufacturers actually go this route (Wiseguys comment aside), are they implicitly allowing conversion of all the discs you have to MP3+G?

I most definitely would NOT support a system that effectively forces me to re-buy all the songs I already have bought and paid for.

As a stand alone system, this "cloud" idea is, IMHO a complete non starter.

Sandy.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I know they were talking about a professional fee of $99 a month to access the music after which you own nothing.
So anyone like me who just does 1 night a week if I'm lucky, it's out of the question.

By the way what happened to the Fully loaded hard drive that Compuhost together with Chartbusters were offering "KJ media pro"
I don't see that advertised on compuhost site now. If you have one can you still get the credits to release the tracks? :roll:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mr.dj wrote:I know they were talking about a professional fee of $99 a month to access the music after which you own nothing.
So anyone like me who just does 1 night a week if I'm lucky, it's out of the question.

By the way what happened to the Fully loaded hard drive that Compuhost together with Chartbusters were offering "KJ media pro"
I don't see that advertised on compuhost site now. If you have one can you still get the credits to release the tracks? :roll:
Chartbuster went belly up and so did the Media Pro. All their music is now the property of Digitrax who coincidentally are the ones who would be releasing the cloud system. I have no idea where this leaves those who bought the Media Pro.