The End Of Discs completely

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

Would you use this if this is the only means to access new music?

yes
17%
no
83%

Total votes: 6

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The talk is that the manu's that have signed up for this will no longer produce new music on discs or downloads so the only way to add to your collection if you want the particular manu's stuff is going to be the cloud. Watch Tricerasoft, select a track and sunfly stop alowing downloads of Sunfly and Zoom products.

As for media pro, which I bought into, it is pretty much dead.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I don't know what "talk" you're referring to but a couple of the hosting application creators (PCDJ stated this publicly) who are in on the cloud discussion have stated that new releases will continue to be available as individual purchases.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

But those purchases are not licensed for commercial use as are most downloads anyway.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:But those purchases are not licensed for commercial use as are most downloads anyway.
Really?

From the TriceraSoft karaoke download site.

All of the MP3+G tracks supplied by TriceraSoft are fully-endorsed by each of the respective Manufacturers and are sold with their permission. A royalty is paid to the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS), SOCAN, or APRA for every track sold. A commission is also paid directly to each Manufacturer to ensure the ongoing effort of quality released and maintain upcoming product.

The Manufacturer licenses the content for performance (which is included as part of the Master Rights), the license paid to the appropriate agency covers performance in digital format.

TriceraSoft has a feature built into it's hosting software applications that gives quick access to purchase their songs during a performance.

You are going to have a hard time convincing me that these are not licensed for commercial use.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

None of those agencies are covered in the United States as they are European and British royalties which have no sway in the USA.

Unless they can get a central licensing agency for the USA, which there is not, then use in commercial settings are in fact illegal.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Under that reasoning it is illegal to use any SBI, Sunfly, or Zoom, songs in the US. I don't know of a single KJ who doesn't use these.

None of this matters to me anyway. As long as I can BUY new releases I will and I will continue to use them at my shows. And I figure just about every other KJ with an established music collection is going to do the same.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Read this from the tricerasoft forum:
http://www.tricerasoft.com/cgi-bin/yabb ... 1197554365
It shows that certain regions or countries may not be legal.

So you never really know who's legal unless we all hire our own lawyers :(

As I'm from the UK I will continue to buy my monthly Sunfly disc and use the downloads as well.
I can't see as they can stop you using your existing, in some cases sizable collections if you do indeed have the original copies.

So if you already have a sizable collection why would you want to pay $99 a month just to get some new tracks ?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If your zoom, sunfly or sbi songs came on original disc before 2010 then you are covered. If they are downloads then no you can't use them in a
commercial show as us rights were not purchased by the manu's.

That said, I highly doubt that the manu's are gonna sue you. The original artist or song writer might but even that is doubtful they owuld take their time to sue a lowly KJ for playing their songs as long as the ASCAP, BMI etc. are paid.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Sunfly and Zoom have already stated that they don't care if US KJs use their legally purchased music. I'm sure that all of the other non US based manus would concur. There are too many customers to lose over some stupid technicality.

The cloud system is still merely a concept with a ton of issues that would need to be addressed before it is actually marketed. There are many mixed feelings about it among the KJ community.

Naturally, any KJ with an established legal karaoke music collection would not consider this a great idea. After all, for a couple of hundred dollars it allows a start up KJ to go into business with as much or more music than the KJ who has spent years and thousands of dollars amassing. Pirate KJs could easily "go legal" anytime they want.

As I see it the cloud system would be beneficial only to start up KJs, pirates looking to go legal, hosting software creators, and of course the karaoke music manufacturers.

I don't think anyone has to worry about accessing new releases. It appears that they will always be available to everyone in one form or another.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I just noticed that this thread has had 164 views but only 5 poll votes. It's odd that so few people care enough about this subject to even cast a vote.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I would think with cloud becoming a household word in the near future with whatever capability that is and a company named DIGITRAX they are intending to make this work.

It will probably continue to movies, books and regular music too.

I think the question is when not if.

So what will happen to the KJs that already have $50,000 libraries? Will they want to somehow stop us?

There is no loyalty today from any company to anyone or anything except corporate greed. If they have to throw us under the bus...we're history. We as a group are not big enough to put a dent in a market share that could include billions of people. There is way too much profit potential.

With a Digitrax smart phone app...the end of live entertainment gets closer and closer..

Start thinking about a career change. I'm actively working on mine..

With karaoke crowds dropping down to 1-1 ...one singer one listener or less in many instances...bars are not making enough money to make karaoke worthwhile.

Can't a bar cloud down a karaoke show by themselves for $99 a month...much cheaper than I work for.. :shock: :roll:

If and when that clouds day comes...I will no longer purchase new music.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I've had a wee think about this and given how the movie industry deals with streaming video, here's how I see this happening (if it does).

For the sake of argument, we'll say manufacturers A, B, C & D get together and think to themselves;

"how can we screw even more money out of the poor saps who stay legal and actually pay for their songs"?

"O.K., we provide a "Cloud" system that will only be usable on a specific piece of software (think Itunes and Sony's Sonicstage)"

"At a stroke, we put Compuhost, Karma, JustKaraoke & the other hosters out of business unless they come aboard and modify their software to suit our system".

"We'll release software that controls the downloaded streamed tracks in such a manner that they can only be played for 1 week or if we're feeling generous (Hah! Hah!) we'll give the mugs a month, or the other hostings progs will be modded to suit"

"Therefore, when the time runs out, the morons have to buy the track again and again and again"!

"We'll also ensure there is a DRM system employed to ensure the songs can't be played on anything other than the authorised software and even easier, simply encrypt them so that they can't be copied either."

"In this manner, we'll rule the World of Karaoke and the idiots will pay FOREVER"!

"MWA-HAH-HAH-HAH"

Thus does Karaoke die!

Sandy.
P.S. don't even think that I'm joking, by the way.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Now Sandy, you're not implying that they would try to monopolize the market... are you ? :)
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The title of this thread should be...the death of karaoke...
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:I just noticed that this thread has had 164 views but only 5 poll votes. It's odd that so few people care enough about this subject to even cast a vote.
I've actually noticed the post counts on various threads mounting up as well but my conclusion is that the counter makes no distinction, Re. repeat viewings.

For example, if I look at a thread and post, the count increments by 1

However, being egocentric, I crave approval and return often to see if my profound statements have gained the attention and reverence I certainly believe they might merit and each and every time, the count increments as well.

I have noticed that it's the same old people that post and really the only other posters are the 1st timers looking for info who arrive and disappear again, usually without a "thanks for the info".

However, in direct reponse to your comment Wiseguy, might I point out that the number of voters is equivalent to the number of different posters on this thread????? I suspect the count is purely down to the 5 of us repeat viewing!

Sandy.