The End Of Discs completely

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

Would you use this if this is the only means to access new music?

yes
17%
no
83%

Total votes: 6

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:
wiseguy wrote:I just noticed that this thread has had 164 views but only 5 poll votes. It's odd that so few people care enough about this subject to even cast a vote.
I've actually noticed the post counts on various threads mounting up as well but my conclusion is that the counter makes no distinction, Re. repeat viewings.

For example, if I look at a thread and post, the count increments by 1

However, being egocentric, I crave approval and return often to see if my profound statements have gained the attention and reverence I certainly believe they might merit and each and every time, the count increments as well.

I have noticed that it's the same old people that post and really the only other posters are the 1st timers looking for info who arrive and disappear again, usually without a "thanks for the info".

However, in direct reponse to your comment Wiseguy, might I point out that the number of voters is equivalent to the number of different posters on this thread????? I suspect the count is purely down to the 5 of us repeat viewing!

Sandy.
In the forum settings I have it configured to not count my visits but I can only do that for moderators.

It might surprise you but this forum gets over 5,000 page views per week. And these are not robot visits (except for the googlebot) because I have virtually all of them blocked.

Your NEO-G tutorial post is probably the most visited page here. :)

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

back on topic, Compuhost has what I feel is a better way of using the cloud than streaming. They had the idea way before the cloud became a possibility. They need to come up with a standalone program for unlocking the songs so it's not tied to their Hosting software the way it is now. It marries the downloadable secured content with digital license plating that Bob Latshaw talked about in his presentation at the summit. It would not require monthly fees to use the content but would allow you to unlock single tracks as you are requested for them. They talk about using this in a video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic2aWgwy ... re=g-all-u

There are more videos of the summit on youtube as well.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

This is pretty much how Chartbuster's Media Pro worked. I thought it was a great idea and still do. If all the manufactures would get together to add all their music to a standalone device it would work out great for both new and established KJs.

Of course we would still need to be able to also use our current hard drive and music because there is no way we are going to buy it again.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The ballet box is rigged... :roll: :shock: :lol:

Anything that has to be unlocked with money for something I already have won't work for me...

Paying after so many uses won't work for me.

Every Tom, Dick & Harry having the same access as me won't work me..

Having to buy a special new hoster won't work for me..

Face the reality....I've been wrong once before... :roll: but I don't think karaoke as we know will be around long..

Answer this question honestly....What is the ratio of singers to nonsingers at all your jobs....

I'm LUCKY to see 1-1....Years ago it was 2-5 nons for every singer...I've talked to other KJs..they are seeing similar numbers...

If those number are indeed accurate...the trend is in a downward spiral....

It doesn't matter at this point if it's an economy caused event or karaoke is just not as popular anymore....The trending is down...

A serious new financial commitment on my part to update or change the way I do karaoke now WILL NEVER HAPPEN...

Unless the bars start to overflow with people on karaoke night....I'll remain status que...until my death or karaokes death...which ever comes first... :lol:

To me this conversation is a waste of technology... :roll:
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

BigDog,

We are talking about a stand alone converter that unlocks a song you don't already have for the cost of a credit. It also means no more wasted money on songs that never get used because you can base your unlocking on what your singers ask for. You decide what you get or do not get. You can use the file created in any hosting software because the end result is an MP3+G file that will play in every hosting solution. No different than purchasing downloads other than it has a mark in areas where lyrics don't show indicating who created that file. Instant licensing. The biggest difference is you only need to be online to purchase and transfer your credits onto your converting computer, need not be your show computer. Oh and you have to be online to download the latest tracks.

If one could change their vote I would because the only way I would use the cloud's servers is if they supported the Kj Media Pro.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

OK, I've had a quick look through that first video and will check out the rest later today.

In theory, this looks to be not too bad as the song is yours, once you've paid for the credits.

However, as I've not yet checked out the other vids, I'm assuming that we would need to pre-pay a certain sum then download a huge swath of encrypted tracks from each and every manufacturer in order to get a track that Might possibly be requested.

I NEVER attach my laptop to the web, so I would have to download the "locked" tunes on my main internet PC and then transfer them to my laptop.

While the system appears to have some merit, I doubt very much that it would work for me.

My song collection already runs to 60Gb and that's only 500+ discs, so I hate to think what the downloads from the various companies would entail.

I'll check out the other vids and post again later.

Sandy.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I thought Compuhosts media pro was quite a good idea as you did own the track once you unlocked it but that dissapeared with Chartbusters although Compuhost seem to be trying to restore it in the video. What the karaoke cloud is trying to push is as shown in the PCDJ video on you tube, in this shot I grabed from the video it shows they want $99.99 a month subscription to use the service.
http://www.torreviejarental.com/youtube ... n%20Up.jpg
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:OK, I've had a quick look through that first video and will check out the rest later today.

In theory, this looks to be not too bad as the song is yours, once you've paid for the credits.

However, as I've not yet checked out the other vids, I'm assuming that we would need to pre-pay a certain sum then download a huge swath of encrypted tracks from each and every manufacturer in order to get a track that Might possibly be requested.
You do have to pre-pay for song credits but you only unlock the song(s) you want when you want them. There is no mandatory number of songs that you MUST buy. This is the main selling point of this system to me.
mnementh wrote:I NEVER attach my laptop to the web, so I would have to download the "locked" tunes on my main internet PC and then transfer them to my laptop.

While the system appears to have some merit, I doubt very much that it would work for me.

My song collection already runs to 60Gb and that's only 500+ discs, so I hate to think what the downloads from the various companies would entail.

I'll check out the other vids and post again later.

Sandy.
To my understanding this would be a separate hard drive attached to your laptop that you would access only when you want to buy new songs. You only need to be connected to the internet when you are buying credits or updating the hard drive with new releases. These things could be done on your home PC.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote: To my understanding this would be a separate hard drive attached to your laptop that you would access only when you want to buy new songs. You only need to be connected to the internet when you are buying credits or updating the hard drive with new releases. These things could be done on your home PC.
While that would make sense, it basically kills off the "Cloud" aspect other than for paying the fee(s).

Also, you have to buy an external drive?

O.K. do you hear that funny rubbing sound?

It's caused by the many hands of software hackers all over the world getting ready to rip (no pun intended) the encryption to shreds on the external drive.

I know PGP is pretty solid and damn near impregnable but generating 10,000's individual codes for each track is an horrendous undertaking, unless a bespoke encryption method is devised.

But if it ain't PGP quality, trust me it'll get hacked.

These guys just LIVE to do the undo-able!

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:
wiseguy wrote: To my understanding this would be a separate hard drive attached to your laptop that you would access only when you want to buy new songs. You only need to be connected to the internet when you are buying credits or updating the hard drive with new releases. These things could be done on your home PC.
While that would make sense, it basically kills off the "Cloud" aspect other than for paying the fee(s).

It's caused by the many hands of software hackers all over the world getting ready to rip (no pun intended) the encryption to shreds on the external drive.

I know PGP is pretty solid and damn near impregnable but generating 10,000's individual codes for each track is an horrendous undertaking, unless a bespoke encryption method is devised.

Sandy.
This is an entirely different concept from the cloud. You would (for a fee) be provided the loaded hard drive by the manufacturer.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:
mnementh wrote:

Sandy.
This is an entirely different concept from the cloud. You would (for a fee) be provided the loaded hard drive by the manufacturer.
I could be wrong but one hard drive and probably no way to dupe it for back up purposes...without another fee...

$100 per month = $1200 per year... :shock: over my dead body...I will never need to unlock that many songs that I don't have already... the rest of my life...
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:I could be wrong but one hard drive and probably no way to dupe it for back up purposes...without another fee...

$100 per month = $1200 per year... :shock: over my dead body...I will never need to unlock that many songs that I don't have already... the rest of my life...
Actually, no!

There's no problem simply cloning an encrypted drive as the software involved, Ghost, Paragon, etc doesn't care WHAT the data on a drive is. It copies like any other data.

It doesn't matter if the data is encrypted, or not.

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:I could be wrong but one hard drive and probably no way to dupe it for back up purposes...without another fee...

I'm sure they would exchange hard drives at no cost if something went wrong with it. After all, they are making money selling the songs not the hard drives.

Again, what we're talking about now is NOT the cloud system. This would be similar to the Chartbuster Media Pro. There is NO monthly fee. You buy a specific number of credits, sold in various increments, and use them only when you unlock (buy) a song. Once you buy a song you transfer it to your primary song library and it is yours forever.

You do not need to be connected to the internet to use this system. You would periodically connect the hard drive to your PC to download new releases and purchase additional credits if needed.

I have a hard time finding anything wrong with this system. I just wish there was something like this years ago as it would have saved me from buying a ton of songs I'll never use.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:

I'm sure they would exchange hard drives at no cost if something went wrong with it. After all, they are making money selling the songs not the hard drives.

Again, what we're talking about now is NOT the cloud system. This would be similar to the Chartbuster Media Pro. There is NO monthly fee. You buy a specific number of credits, sold in various increments, and use them only when you unlock (buy) a song. Once you buy a song you transfer it to your primary song library and it is yours forever.

You do not need to be connected to the internet to use this system. You would periodically connect the hard drive to your PC to download new releases and purchase additional credits if needed.

I have a hard time finding anything wrong with this system. I just wish there was something like this years ago as it would have saved me from buying a ton of songs I'll never use.
The time wasted to perform the exchange is the problem....

I always have a back up hard drive and laptop computer with me at every show...I recently had two hard drives crap on my...I think they went bad from falling over in my van...in the suitcase..no warning....just refused to work...one day..

You could never do a show based on an exchange agreement...without a back up of the songs you already paid for...you're screwed..you'll have to buy them all over again..
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I believe that they would allow you to back up the drive if you wanted to. At least that is what is allowed by chartbuster.