The End Of Discs completely

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

Would you use this if this is the only means to access new music?

yes
17%
no
83%

Total votes: 6

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:
wiseguy wrote:
Bigdog wrote:I could be wrong but one hard drive and probably no way to dupe it for back up purposes...without another fee...

$100 per month = $1200 per year... :shock: over my dead body...I will never need to unlock that many songs that I don't have already... the rest of my life...
I'm sure they would exchange hard drives at no cost if something went wrong with it. After all, they are making money selling the songs not the hard drives.

Again, what we're talking about now is NOT the cloud system. This would be similar to the Chartbuster Media Pro. There is NO monthly fee. You buy a specific number of credits, sold in various increments, and use them only when you unlock (buy) a song. Once you buy a song you transfer it to your primary song library and it is yours forever.

You do not need to be connected to the internet to use this system. You would periodically connect the hard drive to your PC to download new releases and purchase additional credits if needed.

I have a hard time finding anything wrong with this system. I just wish there was something like this years ago as it would have saved me from buying a ton of songs I'll never use.
The time wasted to perform the exchange is the problem....

I always have a back up hard drive and laptop computer with me at every show...I recently had two hard drives crap on my...I think they went bad from falling over in my van...in the suitcase..no warning....just refused to work...one day..

You could never do a show based on an exchange agreement...without a back up of the songs you already paid for...you're screwed..you'll have to buy them all over again..
Again Bigdog, I don't think you're getting it. You would NOT run your show with the songs on this hard drive. It would be used SOLELY for adding new songs to your collection. If it failed during a show the only thing that would happen is that you could not buy new songs.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Cloud system may not be legal in the usa, as the only medium that song producers have stated that are legal is disc based. There are people who are on both sides of the fence waking the dragon of the song producers. It could be the end of karaoke period as no new licenses for karaoke songs may be granted.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Why do the song producers want to shoot themselves in the foot like that? Regardless, I personally believe that karaoke would go on for many years if not one more song was released.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I see the Karaoke Cloud Pro site is officially launched today. :cry:

http://www.digitraxentertainment.com/
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mr.dj wrote:I see the Karaoke Cloud Pro site is officially launched today. :cry:

http://www.digitraxentertainment.com/
If you want to call that a launch. Virtually no information, song search doesn't work, and they want you to sign up and wait for them to contact you. It seems more like they're just testing for interest.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I was looking at the wording of it under the Karaoke Pro
large subscriptions,

This link explains it better: http://www.karaokecloudpro.com/
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Yeah but right now you're stuck with one software to use. not for me as I will not change software to join the cloud.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I'm sure many of the other hosting software creators will join in if this takes off but I would like to see a stand-alone version.

I originally thought that this was an online access only setup but now it appears to be offline also. If I understand the concept correctly this still differs from the Media Pro in that you never get to own any of the songs.

On their site they state...
You could buy 8,000 downloads at $1.99 each and spend about $16,000 all told. Discs are even worse - when you factor in shipping and the time you'll spend shopping for and ripping all the discs, you'll probably spend more than that. At those prices, you could subscribe to Karaoke Cloud Pro for more than 13 years - and still save money!
What this doesn't say is that at the end of those 13 years you don't own any music.

This is a good deal for a start-up KJ without a lot of money to invest in music. This may seem like a good deal for those who like to rent a home and lease their vehicles. Personally, I like to end up owning whatever I pay a lot of money for.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

So is this a rent songs the rest of your life deal..

Even the rip off stores have a rent to own policy...even if you pay for the item twice in high interest fees.

Can you ever lose you right to rent them? What happens when the go belly up? Then you have to buy your music.. Even disc companies can't survive anymore....

Sooner or later our supply of LEGAL fresh (new) music is going to dry up.

THEN WHAT?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:Can you ever lose you right to rent them? What happens when they go belly up?
Good points. Say you go with this system, and a couple years later after you have your business established with some steady gigs, the bottom drops out of the karaoke cloud. You are forced to immediately invest a lot of money in music or go out of business. You don't own a single karaoke song.

Someone explain to me why they don't just continue with the Media Pro idea.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

because they are stuck in how do we do this without allowing pirates to use it.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

So legit KJs will be forced out of business to stop PIRACY...Sounds perfectly logical to me...

Just like Cancer treatment....They use CHEMO to kill the cancer and they hope it doesn't kill you first...

I have some good news and some bad news...

The good news is...we stopped the piracy issue...

The bad news is...we killed the karaoke industry... :roll:

:surrender:

We no longer need to produce karaoke music.....that will teach those pirates a lesson..
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

BREAKING NEWS:::::

The name of this forum has changed to the DEATH OF THE KARAOKE FORUM..

Topics will include..talking about no new releases....

Talking about how we used to do karaoke....

How the industry died....and what killed it...

How many manufacturers went belly up...

How we don't have to worry about copy right issues...

What's an MP3 music file?

How to sell used equipment.....or how to repurpose used karaoke stuff...

Nursing homes that cater to old out of work KJs...

File sharing....please pass me the nail file.....I have a hang nail...

Singing karaoke on a smart phone...and other tech talk issues...

How to print up business cards that say WILL KJ FOR FOOD...
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

They are NEVER going to stop pirating. They may slow it down for a very short time but that's it. What's to stop someone from making video screen captures of the streamed song tracks? Most hosting software supports AVI and MPEG videos.

The bottom line is that anything digital can and will be stolen. It seems like the karaoke music industry is putting more effort and money into thwarting pirates than what they lose from piracy and they're hurting their legitimate customers in the process.
djBe

Post by djBe »

If a new KJ comes on the scene and has to pay $100 a month to legally access music he/she is at a disadvantage to the KJ who already has a large library of music owned and only has to update. Of course, the advantage dwindles if said new KJ can offer any song at a moment's notice whereas the KJ who owns and updates has to order it or go home and download it the old fashioned way.

From a practical standpoint I don't think I've ever actually lost a singer because I didn't have a particular song. I have at least 10,000 different songs in my collection of nearly 20,000 and most will simply find something else they like. But who knows...people are so used to instant gratification these days.

I focus on things other KJs in my area don't provide - I have lights, plenty of songbooks, good mics, and I take and publish on FB lots of photos of my shows. When people say why can't I get such and such a song inastantly I explainthat I buy my music legally and will try to get such and such song in soon.

PS....99% of the songs people want I've already got. The other 1% are usually brand new songs which I buy off ebay or karaoke sites as I need to. Simple.
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083