karaoke live streaming for my home

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Rousher17

karaoke live streaming for my home

Post by Rousher17 »

Hello all. My name is Bill and am new to this forum, so forgive me if this question(s) has been already covered.
First of all, like all of you, alot of my friends and I love to karaoke and for a couple of years now I have been throwing occasional karaoke parties at my home for us all. I have grown tired of purchasing CD-G discs and am wanting to upgrade from my "Singing Machine" system to something more professional sounding. I don't really want to go overboard and want to spend less than $1000. I already have a great laptop and was considering subscribing to Chartbuster Karaoke's live streaming program. Is that a good way to go about not having to buy discs? And, if so, what type and/or brand of system would be a reasonable upgrade so that I can push a couple hundred watts in my home? I wouldn't know how or what to connect my laptop to...mixer?...player?...speakers? I do already have a 20" flat screen monitor and stand.
Thanks in advance for any and all opinions & advice!!!!!

Rousher17

Post by Rousher17 »

ok...so apparently the Chartbuster idea is a no go. I just read the topic in the General Discussion forum and found out they went out of business.

Well I'd still like to upgrade, hopefully without having to buy CDGs. Is there another reputable company that is live streaming its songs. If so, are they good quality song reproductions?
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Are you talking about sites where you can pay for and download a karaoke song file?
Rousher17

Post by Rousher17 »

I don't necessarily need to download the song files IF there is live streaming available do I? If its not available, where is the best site for legally downloading quality song files?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The Karaoke Cloud will have streaming content at $7.99 a month for the home user. They are also going to provide professional content for a lot more money.
Rousher17

Post by Rousher17 »

thanks for the info on the live streaming. i have no problem paying less than $10/month as long as i have one karaoke party per month also.
still looking for answers to my questions in my first post about what i need and how to hook up my laptop to whatever equipment i need to buy
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Rousher17 wrote:still looking for answers to my questions in my first post about what i need and how to hook up my laptop to whatever equipment i need to buy
Basically, for a simple home set up, you'll need the following as a minimum.

Karaoke player (laptop)
Microphones, 1 to 4 off (or more if you like but it gets unwieldy)
Mixer (minimum number of channels is 1 stereo channel for your player plus 1 channel for each microphone, so for karaoke plus 2 mikes is 4 channels minimum)
Amplifier (this could be part of the mixer, i.e. a mixer-amp)
Speakers (2 off, minimum)
Cabling for the above.

This depends on using your laptop for both karaoke AND filler music.

If you have a secondary music source for filler tracks, then you'll need an extra stereo mixer input.

Connections are pretty basic;

Laptop audio out to mixer/amp. Probably a 3.5mm stereo jack plug to RCA phono lead. Dirt cheap on Ebay.

Amp out to speakers. Depends on the amp you get.

Depending on your laptop connections, a VGA or HDMI lead to your 20" monitor.

That's your lot.

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If you would like to go into a little more detail you can check out these articles.

Building Your Karaoke System

Karaoke on a Laptop Computer
Rousher17

Post by Rousher17 »

thanks Sandy for the info and to you too wiseguy for the links!
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Karaoke cloud is supposed to go live in august.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:Karaoke cloud is supposed to go live in august.
Any word on participating hosting applications?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Supposably all the major programs including pcdj karaoki, Compuhost, S&D, Hoster etc.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:Supposably all the major programs including pcdj karaoki, Compuhost, S&D, Hoster etc.
I have yet to hear TriceraSoft chime in on this which makes me wonder about JustKaraoke and Swift Elite supporting the cloud.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:
DanG2006 wrote:Supposably all the major programs including pcdj karaoki, Compuhost, S&D, Hoster etc.
I have yet to hear TriceraSoft chime in on this which makes me wonder about JustKaraoke and Swift Elite supporting the cloud.
Yeah, they happen to be quite absent from the process. Must be because they already have a version of the cloud built into JustKaraoke with their store.