Quick Question about Requested Songs

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
wiseguy
Site Admin

Quick Question about Requested Songs

Post by wiseguy »

What would you say the average age of the songs requested during one of your typical karaoke shows would round out to be? The year the actual song was released... not it's karaoke release date.

I took the song requests from several shows at different venues and made a list. Then I looked up the year that each song was released in and calculated how many years old the song was. After adding all the songs ages together and dividing that number by the number of songs I was surprised at what turned out to be the average age of a requested song.

I'll wait to see what some of your estimates are before I tell you my number.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I'd bet it came out around the 60's and 70's

When music made sense and had decent tunes.

Even the youngsters over here choose that era.

Sandy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I can tell by the songs people sing that today's music is only limitedly popular. There are some songs that get sung a lot from todays music and most of it is country.

I would say since the older music has more musical hooks and a better melody line with lyrics you can remember...The stuff we grew up on will always be more popular. They just don't write music like they used to.
My guess is between 30-40 years.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The number I came up with was roughly 39 years. That is quite a bit older than the average age of my singers which means many of them are singing songs that were released before they were born. Is buying new music a complete waste of money?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

That's the reason I stopped automatically buying every new pop hits monthly ...
I will only buy requests from now on and I haven't updated since February...I have a few peopel asking for some really new songs...but not that often....
I think we are seeing a change in the singers and their attitude towards karaoke.

I'm not saying people don't want to sing new songs..they do...but many still sing the same songs they've been singing for 10-15-20 years...

Today was my 20th anniversary....of karaoke hosting... :cheers:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I think I could probably go the next five years without buying a single new song and it would make no difference in the number of singers I get.

Congrats on your 20th anniversary! I'll reach 20 years in October.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Monday will be 19 for me.