Help Me Build My Karaoke System

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
TheWarrior97

Help Me Build My Karaoke System

Post by TheWarrior97 »

I am new to this forum.

I am looking for advice on the right equipment to get Karaoke going in my home.

I am using Swift Elite 4 with a HTPC. I plan on using the HDMI output from the video card for both sound and video. I am wanting it to play through my Yamaha 7.1 receiver.

I am needing wireless microphones (Shure) and what else do I need to get this going?

Karaoke Mixer? DN-HC4500? Karaoke Amplifier?

Once I get my equipment...whats the best way to connect it...specifically where do i connect the mics and HTPC...receiver....mixer...etc?

Thanks in advance.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Are you planning on using a computer to run the karaoke hosting program?

The DN-HC4500 looks like to me ....it's to use two disc players..
and to do crossfading and other normally DJ associated things...

So the question is are you planning on doing DJing along with your karaoke?

If not I don't see a use for that unit..

The majority of us use a regular mixer that would be used by a band hooked to a PA system..
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Oops...by the way welcome to the forum... :oops:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Sounds to me like your planning to perform karaoke through your surround sound stereo setup. Bad idea. If done correctly, live vocals require PA speakers.

I would recommend that you purchase a small powered mixer and a couple PA speakers. Run the microphones and the audio (usually from the headphone jack) of your computer through the powered mixer. Run the video separately to your TV.
TheWarrior97

Post by TheWarrior97 »

Thanks for the advice.

I am not a DJ nor will I be one. Mixer suggestions that will let me play with the vocals/sound a little bit?

I would like shure/sennheiser mics. I was thinking wireless. Any model recommendations? Has anyone tried the charging packs for those?

I am using my computer to run the karaoke program. I am also going to try my home theater surround sound and see how it goes.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You can go with a small mixer with effects like the Behringer XENYX 1002FX. There is no better microphone for the price than the Shure SM58. I see no need to go to the expense of wireless mics for home use.

Be prepared to replace your surround sound speakers as they are most often destroyed when used for karaoke. Live vocals is a whole different animal from recorded music.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

TheWarrior97 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I am not a DJ nor will I be one. Mixer suggestions that will let me play with the vocals/sound a little bit?

I would like shure/sennheiser mics. I was thinking wireless. Any model recommendations? Has anyone tried the charging packs for those?

I am using my computer to run the karaoke program. I am also going to try my home theater surround sound and see how it goes.
I have Bose surround sound systems (small qubes) that I did karaoke through in my living room...It will ruin them...They can not take the live vocals...they were not made for that..

Your home surround sound will work...until it goes... :roll:

My living room karaoke PA system now consists of two Yamaha 15" /w horns and two Yamaha 18" subs...with a 16 channel Mackie mixer and a Yamaha amplifier..

Get some very good compressors for the microphones..