What a karaoke night is coming down to....

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

What a karaoke night is coming down to....

Post by Bigdog »

I have two jobs that have just about turned into ...(I show up with my equipment and wait to set up to see if anyone else is going to show up...if not I go home)...empty handed nights...

Crowds are even getting smaller for the football games and nobody stays around to party if the team wins...the day of the football game is almost a guaranteed no karaoke crowd night...

At one job I play till one....almost every night before one it's me and the bartender. They don't even stay to sing the last song. And I almost always start later than the scheduled starting time because nobody or no singers are there...

Some singers may start to show up at 10...10:30...11...

death by karaoke (or lack of it) is painful

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Just heard last night my closest competition bar on one of my nights stopped having karaoke because nobody is showing up.

The economic casualties are starting to stack up...
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
dad47

Post by dad47 »

Hi Bigdog. I am new to this forum and am old and crazy but I thought I might put a few coments on your post. I have only sang karaoke for 1 year but truly enjoy it. Here on some things I might think about doing.

First does your bars like the karaoke nights when it is profitable?? If so then I would visit with him and see what lentghs he is willing to help with growing the crowd back. Some singers love competition,maybe put out a contest for a few nights and offer some type of monetary value to it. May work may not but it is better to have tried and failed than to never try.

Also you say you have alot of nights that you set and wait for singers. How about you and the owner get your heads together and offer early night drinks to the first two hour singers. Maybe not give all of them a free dring but figure out what you can bare in $ spent for a nice night and lets say give first 6 singers in first hour a free beer. Then for the rest of the hour have a container with different free stuff to give away. Heres my thought on this. Not all but lots of bar goers like to also gamble. put 10 envelopes together or any number you like. Put inside the envelope to receive a free drink and another a free beer or just use your imagination. Now in 5 of the 10 envelopes put Sorry you din't win notes. Be upfront before you start your night on the envelopes. You could win or you may get a sorry and they will play like crazy I think.

Anyway you and the owner get together and come up with a fun plan for your singers. make them want to be there early and get into the action.

Do not suggest that the owner foot all the bill. Help him as it should benefit you both.

Remember that if you just set there and do nothing you will probably be looking for another bar or setting at home admiring your equipment until the bank comes and gets it.
This is kinda hard to explain but the bottom line is to get those first two hours to cranking. If the give aways work your bar owner and you will know in a very short time if your money increases and his also.

Just some thoughts I have.

Hope you can get it going again.

Dad
dad47

Post by dad47 »

Heres another not so long thought that just hit me.

I went to a DJ show one night. Word of mouth had spread that this dude was awesome and the night would be a blast.

Here's what he was doing. He would play a few neat songs then all of a sudden he would show up on stage while a song was playing a guitar or piano solo during the song. He would have whatever instrument was playing the song and ban on it like crazy. Piano had no tone so you couldn't hear it but he had a ball with it. It was a small childs piano he could hold in his hand.
The guitar had no strings but he played it like crazy.

Get my drift here. Put on a show for them. They will come Getting crazy is hard to do at first but you will see real quick the rewards. Try it, you won't believe what will happen.

Dad
dad47

Post by dad47 »

I guess I better get a little more readin in on this forum before i make comments. I truely don't know the karaoke business. I have been reading alot since I made the first post on this subject.

It doesn't seem to be a concensous to do a get down crazy show but to make a list and let it rip. Kinda laid back I think.

I'm done-lol
Dad
dad47

Post by dad47 »

"I've been doing 5 nights a week for 18 years and haven't needed that stuff. At one time in the early days I started to accumulate various prop items like muiscal instruments to play with.

I found that by attracting the more serious singers that stuff isn't needed. Karaoke singers want one thing and only one thing...they want to sing as much as possible every night. That's it. No contests to take up singing time. No bells and whistles making noise while they sing. Nobody acting like jerks while they sing...No dance sets....Just singing...it's a novel idea. Karaoke has and always will be about the singers...without them you have no karaoke show.

Every KJ has their own way of doing shows. Some work and some don't.

Some KJs work and some don't. I don't worry about running a high energy show. My biggest gimmick is my professional sounding system.

Quality nonstop singers keep my shows lively."

Sorry Bigdog guess I should have read this one before opening my big trap. Please except my apologie. When i read your post here it sounded like you were slipping in singers. Guess not-lol
Dad
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Welcome Dad...

The biggest problem right now is the economy.

In my state the LCB forbids giving away free alcohol. Also bars are limited to 14 hours a week of reduced prices (promotions). So bars need to pace out their drink specials and happy hours.

I hesitate to buy patrons drinks to eleiminate any liability towards me if something would happen to them leaving the bar.

If they drink free water....the bar owner is eating the costs.

I just talked to a friend of mine that goes to karaoke in other towns.....the karaoke shows are suffering everywhere in this area.

Hope & Change has turned into "Buddy....I hope you have some change..."

As we all fall of the CLIFF....and the wages keep going down and taxes go up....the priority will be finding something to eat everyday...not singing karaoke or any other forms of entertainment.

My advice is enjoy it while you can because it won't last forever...

If we do have good nights they leave early and didn't spend much...leaving early could indicate they ran out of money. The amount of fun they are having doesn't matter when your wallet goes empty. Or they switch to free water....for the rest of the night to give the illusion of drinking..

I'm going to try topless karaoke.....I hope they like my chest...& pot belly...
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

dad47 wrote:"I've been doing 5 nights a week for 18 years and haven't needed that stuff. At one time in the early days I started to accumulate various prop items like muiscal instruments to play with.

I found that by attracting the more serious singers that stuff isn't needed. Karaoke singers want one thing and only one thing...they want to sing as much as possible every night. That's it. No contests to take up singing time. No bells and whistles making noise while they sing. Nobody acting like jerks while they sing...No dance sets....Just singing...it's a novel idea. Karaoke has and always will be about the singers...without them you have no karaoke show.

Every KJ has their own way of doing shows. Some work and some don't.

Some KJs work and some don't. I don't worry about running a high energy show. My biggest gimmick is my professional sounding system.

Quality nonstop singers keep my shows lively."

Sorry Bigdog guess I should have read this one before opening my big trap. Please except my apologie. When i read your post here it sounded like you were slipping in singers. Guess not-lol
Dad
You'll notice that was written 2 years ago.....times were better then but still headed downward...

I still get new singers at my shows....the old ones stopped coming out as regular as they used to. People have shifted their priorities. I'm lucky if I see them once every month or longer. I can't force people to spend money they don't have...
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Again with the "people are broke" BS. This simply is not true... if you believe facts and figures that is. On this years Black Friday Americans spent more money than ever before and 9% more than last year. Car sales are up, home sales are increasing, the mobile device market has gone through the roof.

Face the fact that it is the bar business that is dying. People are finding other and safer forms of entertainment. Strict DUI laws and escalated enforcement are causing people to do their drinking at home and a major reason for the increase in soda and water drinkers in the bars.

Home karaoke entertainment has become increasingly popular and the karaoke industry is shifting their attention in that direction by making large karaoke song libraries instantly available and creating consumer friendly karaoke software.

Stop blaming the economy for the small karaoke crowds. Put the blame on the dying bar business where it belongs.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I just talked to a Kj that has been doing it longer than me...he just lost 3- 4 jobs in the last month because of lack of attendance.

Local hot band last saturday had 40 people show up.

last night I has 10 people in the bar ...2 people walked in the entire time I was there...

death by karaoke is painful..it hurts my wallet...
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Just another job update...

I lost my hotel bar gig because the room rental rate has dropped in half. Meaning that ihalf as many people are not coming to the hotel restaurant and bar...

Thank you Obama... :evil: :twisted:
djBe

Post by djBe »

JUST got two new gigs at a great new bar/restaurant and here come the water drinkers. First I had two ladies show up with ...get this..their OWN BOTTLED WATER! Next I had about four or five singers show up over the last month ordering nothing but water...ANNNDD this one dickhead who doesnt feel its his responsibility to pay for his lemonades because after all he's doing us all a favor by lending his talents to our show....what can i say? I talked to the barowner before this shit gets out of hand...proactive is best. I said I will buy you a few cases of bottled water. Let's sell them for two dollars each and give the bartender a dollar and the house a dollar. She loved the idea. Before you say hey bottled water is a big investment, its not. Its less than ten dollars for two cases (48 bottles) and its better than losing the gig or the goodwill of the bar....

As for lemonade guy I told him he had to pay his tab or not come back. As for the brownbag bottled water ladies, I told them they couldnt do that and we would have bottled water for sale.

People are ridiculous nowadays, they have extremely bigballs. It used be either you had people who spent lotso fo dough at bars or people who spent about ten dollars and tried to stretch it. Now you have cheap bastiches who try to spend NOTHING and expect to be treated like stars.

Sheesh...
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I fully expect the economic situation to get worse...and I'm not saying anything about it getting better any time soon.

I'm a little way away from getting social security yet but, I just found out ...there is a limit now on the amount of money you can earn...being retired and collecting a pension because Social security gets taxed and they start to take away $1 for every $2 after a certain point. So as an example....If you were planning on getting $1500 a month from social security you can plan on...depending on your pension income.....after they take out the taxes and the $1 for $2....your $1500 just turned into $500 or less.... :shock:

Now when people start getting their new healthcare tax...yes I said tax....and you know what happens when you don't pay a tax....they add on penalties and interest. This money needs to be paid every year. First they attach your wages, then your house and car and anything else they can sell to pay the bill.

Now remember...this has to be paid every year....I can just guess that there will be more people without healthcare than before they rammed the bill up your... :roll: It's going to amount to thousands a year....get out of debt now...while you can.....

So if you thought the economy was going to get better and soon people would be flocking to the bars to celebrate...think again...

I'm gonna have the best karaoke system a living room could have... :lol:

We'll be lucky to be singing on the corner for food....
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Well now....a new developement..

When there is a hockey game played on the day of the scheduled karaoke night....I usually start after the game....He looks at the sales totals right when it's time for me to start...if they are high it determines how long karaoke will last....especially if the number of singers is low.

If the number is high and he is happy with them, he really doesn't care if we do karaoke or not...he would be happy at that point to throw everyone out and go home early..which not only screws me but all the hired help...
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Tonight hit an all time low... :cry:

The bar owner said the singers that were there (3 at the time) he didn't want to hear and if that's all you got...we're not starting....
(They aren't spending enough to keep the lights on...I don't care if they leave...)

We didn't start and I went home 2 hours later with no money...