What a karaoke night is coming down to....

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I have it in my contracts that if I set up I get half even if I don't play because They choose to shut me down. Have never had to enforce it and I don't give them a chance to head me off. One piece of equipment enters the bar I get paid even if it is half my pay.
Now if my equipment fails then I eat the money and go home broke.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:I have it in my contracts that if I set up I get half even if I don't play because They choose to shut me down. Have never had to enforce it and I don't give them a chance to head me off. One piece of equipment enters the bar I get paid even if it is half my pay.
Now if my equipment fails then I eat the money and go home broke.
I have a similar contract but mine states that if I play over half the hours I'm contracted for I still get full pay if they shut me down.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have never used a contract...

I'm just trying to salvage what's left of my karaoke business....

It seems the smoking bars are doing OK...but the nonsmoking bars are losing karaoke singers in droves...

As long as the bars/restaurants in my state have smoking exemptions for some bars....the smoking bars will rule..the playing field is uneven at this time...
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I've said all along if you give people a choice between smoking and non-smoking bars the smoking bars would win out. Right now here, no bars are allowed to allow smoking. Right now here, I don't know of a single bar that does not allow smoking. They ALL ignore the smoking ban and would rather pay the fine because it would be cheaper than all the money they would lose from of the loss of business. Although, as far as I know, no bar has yet to be fined.

Seems to me that you can either go back to the smoking bars or find another occupation. It sucks but sometimes you gotta go with the flow. Actually, I'm getting ready to retire from karaoke and the timing couldn't be better. I've been watching the bar business die a slow death and I'd rather not still be there at the end.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I've been watching business slowly decline since 2008. The crowds are getting smaller by the month.

Most places stopped having bands because less people are willing to pay a cover charge. Plus most bands are still playing disco....young kids don't want to hear disco and the people that do...need oxygen and wheelchairs..

I've noticed smaller crowds for the big football games...it seems like football games are becoming a living room party event...

People don't spend as much when they do go out...

Wait until they make the National drinking limit .05.....that will mean one drink and you're toast....but they are thinking about lowering the drinking age....maybe the lawyers figured out you can make more money with these two things....You know how 18 year old brains work....they don't.

My main job...did a 60 - 40 business last year....60% was booze but food was almost half the business...My other job the food is 80% and booze is 20% if that....and they just shortened their hours of operation to be Saturday night open til 2 am...the rest of the week closed before midnight and earlier...LACK OF BUSINESS>..

I was hoping to ride the karaoke wave until I reach social security....looking for a good high place to jump might be a better option...

We are still spiraling downward....weekends will be the best employment opportunity...

Smoking bars suck....90% of the patrons chain smoke...

Sound Choice will start producing songs again as the industry dies... what's the use?