NEWBIE NEEDS ADVICE

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
billyg

NEWBIE NEEDS ADVICE

Post by billyg »

For the last 10 years, I have been using the "Magic Mic" type of setup for our home parties. Their cheap and very easy to use...with thousands of songs at my disposal with a push of a button..You can change keys, add echo, record, change tempo, etc...and just need to hook it up to a stereo system and TV. Contrary to what I've read on this forum, my stereo system works as good as the day I got it..no detrimental effect on the receiver or speakers. And my guests have a blast with them. Grant it, sound quality is probably not as good as the systems talked about most on this forum.
Now I'm considering moving on to a more sophisticated setup...What can you experienced guys out there recommend for a home-use only setup?
What kind of equipment do I need to purchase to get started?
I'd like to be able to change the keys and tempo, add echo, record, etc.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

When you say you want all the capabilities of the magic microphone and you want to upgrade....are you still going to use the magic microphone or are you thinking about something else? Like a computer system or disc players?

I'm not sure if you can transfer the music from the magic microphone to a computer hard drive.

If you can't you will need to purchase a whole new music library...

As far as the sound system....you need to give us a budget figure you have to work with. The majority of us a pros with extensive PA systems.

I have used my Boss surround sound for home karaoke and the speakers started to sound FUNKY from the vocals. My current home system is identical to my pro system...equipment wise. I spoiled myself with quality... :oops:
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

When compared to an authentic karaoke system the "Magic Microphones" are midi music playing toys that are designed to connect to a home stereo. Some people run them through the TV speakers alone.

Now you're talking about a "real" karaoke system and your home stereo speakers will not suffice. You simply cannot have a good sounding karaoke system without PA speakers.

Like Bigdog stated, you will need to decide between a hardware or software player. The way you obtain your karaoke music will largely depend on this. The current trend is to use a laptop and karaoke hosting software.

The components of the karaoke system are the player, mixer, amp, speakers, and microphones. There are various configurations.

A mixing board and raw amp and passive PA speakers.

A powered mixer and passive PA speakers.

A mixing board and active (built in amp) PA speakers.

Good quality wired or wireless microphones.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System