Trying to deliver a karaoke system for christmas...need help

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Zedy44

Trying to deliver a karaoke system for christmas...need help

Post by Zedy44 »

I currently have an existing Yamaha receiver that I planned to run two PA-style speakers to a second zone so we don't ruin the 5.1 system I currently use for movies etc. I plan on using a spare laptop and a 2TB external hard drive to store and play the songs. The external hard drive has already been pre-loaded with a ton of songs that she wants (Viet stuff).

This is the receiver I own: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V673-7- ... ha+RX-V673

If my understanding is correct I will be required to purchase a mixer since my Yamaha receiver does not have a mic-in ability??

I was looking at this mixer... Vocopro DA-1000: http://www.amazon.com/VocoPro-DA-1000-P ... aoke+mixer

and these Vocopro mics... http://www.amazon.com/VocoPro-VHF-3300- ... roduct_top

Will these work? Is there a better alternative?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out...

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The amp/receiver has a 200 watt output and should be sufficient. Definitely go with PA speakers.

I'm not a big fan of VocoPro in general and that mixer in particular because it doesn't have balanced XLR inputs. In its price range I would probably opt for something like the Behringer XENYX 1202FX.

Unless you have your heart set on wireless microphones you will get better quality for your money by going with a pair of Shure wired mics like the PG58.
Zedy44

Post by Zedy44 »

wiseguy wrote:The amp/receiver has a 200 watt output and should be sufficient. Definitely go with PA speakers.

I'm not a big fan of VocoPro in general and that mixer in particular because it doesn't have balanced XLR inputs. In its price range I would probably opt for something like the Behringer XENYX 1202FX.

Unless you have your heart set on wireless microphones you will get better quality for your money by going with a pair of Shure wired mics like the PG58.
Thanks for the quick response! Yes the wireless mic's are a "must" per the GF and her family. They pass them around the room like crazy. I will look into the XENYX mixer.

I have one more question. When cabling everything together...am I running the laptop to the receiver, mics to mixer, and mixer to receiver? Or does the laptop need to go through the mixer?

edit: Can anyone recommend a site for legit karaoke equipment? Lot's of questionable sites out there. I live on Amazon, but obviously they don't have everything.

Thanks again.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Typical setup would be mixer to receiver and the mics and laptop to the the mixer. After all, the main purpose of a mixer is to mix the input sources.

Audio from laptop is usually made with a connection from its earphone jack to the mixer with a 1/8" stereo to dual RCA adapter cable.

I deal with two sites only for my karaoke and sound system components. Ace Karaoke and zZounds have excellent customer service and great deals. Neither of them have ever let me down in all the years I've been dealing with them.
Zedy44

Post by Zedy44 »

wiseguy wrote:Typical setup would be mixer to receiver and the mics and laptop to the the mixer. After all, the main purpose of a mixer is to mix the input sources.

Audio from laptop is usually made with a connection from its earphone jack to the mixer with a 1/8" stereo to dual RCA adapter cable.

I deal with two sites only for my karaoke and sound system components. Ace Karaoke and zZounds have excellent customer service and great deals. Neither of them have ever let me down in all the years I've been dealing with them.

Thanks for those site recommendations. The Ace Karaoke one in particular is really nice.

Based on my receiver output I'm looking at two pairs of speakers...

Acesonic SP-450 300W Professional Vocal Speaker System (Pair)

and..

RSQ SR-350 350Watts Professional Speakers (Pair)

Mic wise...

Hisonic VHF Dual Rechargeable Wireless Microphone System, HS8286

and Mixer wise...

Vocopro DA-1000PRO Professional Digital Karaoke Mixer

or

Behringer XENYX 1202FX Mixer with Effects

My biggest concern is not having enough power for the speakers and having to purchase an amplifier...so I did some browsing of mixer/amplifiers, but I'm getting into completely unknown territory with that research.

Again I appreciate all the insight your able to provide.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

While your amp/receiver would drive the PA speakers it certainly is not ideal. As a rule of thumb the amplifier should be able to deliver power equal to twice the speaker's continuous power rating.

Have you considered a matched set system like this one by Acesonic? For a little more that what you would pay for the items you have listed it has a powered mixer, matching speakers, and UHF wireless microphones. Less radio traffic on the UHF frequency means less chance of interference.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Zedy44 wrote:
wiseguy wrote:Typical setup would be mixer to receiver and the mics and laptop to the the mixer. After all, the main purpose of a mixer is to mix the input sources.

Thanks for those site recommendations. The Ace Karaoke one in particular is really nice.

Based on my receiver output I'm looking at two pairs of speakers...

Acesonic SP-450 300W Professional Vocal Speaker System (Pair)

and..

RSQ SR-350 350Watts Professional Speakers (Pair)

Mic wise...

Hisonic VHF Dual Rechargeable Wireless Microphone System, HS8286

and Mixer wise...

Vocopro DA-1000PRO Professional Digital Karaoke Mixer

or

Behringer XENYX 1202FX Mixer with Effects

My biggest concern is not having enough power for the speakers and having to purchase an amplifier...so I did some browsing of mixer/amplifiers, but I'm getting into completely unknown territory with that research.

Again I appreciate all the insight your able to provide.
the vocopro mixer you will be disapointed in as I used to own one and couldn't get a decent wireless mike to work with it. Was forced to use wired mikes until I replaced it.
Zedy44

Post by Zedy44 »

wiseguy wrote:While your amp/receiver would drive the PA speakers it certainly is not ideal. As a rule of thumb the amplifier should be able to deliver power equal to twice the speaker's continuous power rating.

Have you considered a matched set system like this one by Acesonic? For a little more that what you would pay for the items you have listed it has a powered mixer, matching speakers, and UHF wireless microphones. Less radio traffic on the UHF frequency means less chance of interference.
More research to do now that you've enlightened me to those complete systems :) I will likely be back with more questions tomorrow. Thanks!!

DanG2006 wrote:the vocopro mixer you will be disapointed in as I used to own one and couldn't get a decent wireless mike to work with it. Was forced to use wired mikes until I replaced it.
I appreciate the heads up. I am going to steer clear of the Vocopro at this point! Thanks!
Zedy44

Post by Zedy44 »

So after hopping around and looking at the more complete systems...I do like the one you suggested, Acesonic 250W Mixing Amplifier + Speaker Combo w/ UHF Wireless Microphones, but my biggest concern is will it be loud enough. Have enough oomph.

My Karaoke space is only 221sqft. Would it be worth it to try and go for a 600W mixer/amplifier and a pair of 300w speakers instead of the 120 (80 RMS)?

Or am I thinking too much and going overkill with the wattage..lol.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If you are wanting to emulate the sound of a professional karaoke system like the pro KJs use then you better be prepared to spend a lot of money. Realistically, I'm assuming, you are building a home karaoke system for family and friends to be based in a roughly 15'x15' room.

The Acesonic combo system should make for a decent sounding setup but it will in no way rival the sound of a pro system. You're not going to get that deep pounding bass that large woofer speakers driven by a high powered amplifier would produce.

If you have a big budget to work with I'd be happy to help you put together a pro system. :)
Zedy44

Post by Zedy44 »

None of her family members use PA-style speakers...all of them are using tower-style or even older, larger, bose speakers. They crank it so loud...heck they blow the cones sometimes and just replace them. It sounds ok to me when they sing. No distortion or anything like that, even when it's that loud.

I'm debating on bumping up to a 300W system like RSQ KA-2000 Mixing Amplifier + SR-350 Speaker Package or Acesonic DGX-212 MP3+G Encoder/Multi-Format Player + RSQ KA-2000 300W Mixing Amplifer, Speaker & Wireless Microphone System. I don't need the Karaoke player in the second one though...but it might be nice to have just in case.

My budget is sitting right around $700. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try the cheaper Acesonic combo system. I'm surprised I can't find a review or anything on any of these equipment. I figured I'd see casual user reviews out their somewhere on the web :)
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Zedy44 wrote:I'm surprised I can't find a review or anything on any of these equipment. I figured I'd see casual user reviews out their somewhere on the web :)
People much more readily post negative reviews than positive ones so maybe a lack of reviews is a good thing.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

http://www.onlyfactorydirect.com/p-254- ... -800c.aspx
and
http://www.onlyfactorydirect.com/p-791- ... mx700.aspx

might fit the bill. The powered mixer even comes with speaker cable.
I know it sounds good and it fills a church hall nicely because it is what I use. have nothing but rave reviews over the package. The speakers carry a bass sound you'd expect out of a 15" speaker.
Zedy44

Post by Zedy44 »

So...after lengthy discussions with my girlfriend's various uncles they all admitted to spending thousands on their systems. Most of them are using 600W mixing amplifiers as well. I'm going to bite the shotgun shell (because the bullet would be too small) and just give her the best system I can attempt to afford for christmas.

Now I'm looking at...

Yamaha BR12 12-inch 2 Way Loudspeaker System x2

A-502 Professional Rack-mountable Karaoke AV Mixing Amplifier

Shure PG288/PG58 Dual Vocal Wireless System, M7

or a pair of $100 rechargable mics like HISONIC's or something...but I understand this is a bad place to skimp on quality. I just figured if they generated a ton of feedback or she wasn't pleased I could easily look at something more expensive at that point rather than go straight to the top with Shure to begin with.

I'm all ears for other recommendations. I'm firm with the $1500 budget for mixer/amp/speakers/mics. Any more and I'll be eating ramen noodles for a few months.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

LOL... I had a feeling you'd be coming to this eventually. With a $1,500 budget this is what I'd go with. It will rival the performance of virtually any professional karaoke system.

Yamaha EMX512SC Powered Mixer
Yamaha BR15 PA Speakers
Audio 2000's AWM6547DU UHF Wireless Microphones