What to buy for my needs?? Help please.

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
dad47

What to buy for my needs?? Help please.

Post by dad47 »

I notice there are some pretty reasonble price Karaoke players on ebay and Amazon. Here's what I am looking for but jus don't know enough about them.

I want a CD-G player that I can hook up into my PA Speaker and mixer. I pretty much have everything to hook up the player to the mixer input but I would like to use a monitor from an old pc that I have. It is a dell 17" monitor. It uses the small I think they call it a 9 pin cable hookup. Anyway it is the old style cable.

I want to hook it direct to the monitor.

So from Karoake plyer to pa and from karoake player to monitor.

Any suggestions on player type or cable to buy would be appreciated. I am looking at the Vocopro DVG-555K. But not sure about the 5 disk player.

Thanks much Dad

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi dad47,
it's usually regarded as polite to introduce yourself a bit on forums (forii ??) before launching into information requests but yours is fairly straightforward, I think.

Hooking up a standalone CD+G player to your mixer and PA system should be pretty easy, as the connections are standard but use of a computer monitor without a PC will be difficult, if not inpossible (I await differing opinions, of course).

Your PC monitor will have a 15 pin high density "D" plug (VGA) that will not be compatible with the video out of a CD+G player.

If, as you say, your Dell monitor has a 9 pin plug, then it came over on the Mayflower and is possibly steam powered. Sell it to a museum !

As far as I'm aware, CD+G players will usually have any of the following as video outs;

three separate RGB outputs (RCA phono sockets)
composite output (RCA phono socket)
possibly an RF output (coaxial TV type socket)
Scart (21 pin rectangular socket)

None of the above is suitable to drive a PC monitor.

Realistically, you have two options, assuming you can't find a player with VGA out.

1) find a convertor on Ebay or such that will change your player output to standard VGA

2) ditch the PC monitor (I'd recommend this option) and get a cheap and cheerful 19" TV.

You should be able to get a working flatscreen TV for very little money and it'll make your job much simpler.

All the best,
Sandy.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Just had a look at the spec of the player you mention on Amazon.com and it seems it DOES have a VGA output (astonishing!!!), so you should be able to hook it up, assuming your DELL actually has the correct connector.

VGA, as I said above, is a 15 pin high density (three layer) "D" plug.

Sandy.
dad47

Post by dad47 »

mnementh, Sorry for my rudeness in not introducing myself.
I'm a retired 65 year old man who loves music. I had a band in Missouri for around 8 years. We were very well liked and played in dance halls for the most part. Our average dance hall in this area seated between 300 and 500 dancers. Once we started our evening there was never an empty floor. We entertained them till they dropped.

In our 7th or 8th year I began developing what they call singers nodes. (yep I was a smoker). In my eighth year I got so bad that I had to retire the band and settledown. I didn't think I would ever sing again and for many years could hit a good note. Last year I began to train my voice again and with I'm sure the help of god and my prayers I am back to probably 75 %.

I sang last year at a retreat in texas for the first time in many years and it was great. I do alot of old country from a cheap little karaoke machine that I run through my sound system. I want to upgrade as reasonable as I can and try to get some of the singers this year in our retreat to join in.

Guess that pretty well sums me up. I have a wonderful wife of 47 years, 4 children and 3 grandchildren.

Now after looking at the unit I am looking at if I have the right monitor and the machine does have a VGA output then you think my old monitor will work for now??

Thanks so much for your input. and yes my monitor and I came over on the mayflower!!!!

Dad
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Hi Dad and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Sandy. Forget about that old monitor as it is very unlikely you will get it to work. It would take an adapter and a signal converter and even then it probably won't display correctly.

You can use virtually any TV as a monitor. Connect directly to a TV that has a composite, s-video, or VGA (15 Pin) connection, and with an RF converter, to any TV with a coaxial connection.
dad47

Post by dad47 »

Thanks wiseguy I have already started looking for a good TV. This is the direction I will take for now.

Thanks for your greeting. I have spent alot of time on here reading yesterday and today. I am learning alot.

I am just trying to get some equipment together to try and get a few old folks to do some singing. I think they will have fun.

Thanks for your input
Dad