I'm really confused!

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
ashabbychic

I'm really confused!

Post by ashabbychic »

Hi there. My daughter and I want a karaoke machine however I want one that's going to last--I don't want one that's like an all in one machine like you'd get at Walmart--just don't think they'd hold up.

Question is this: what do I need? Been watching in eBay and have looked at lightyear karaoke online--is it better, financially, to get a system that has the speakers, wireless mics, a mixer thingy--or that's what it looks like and then the hard drive with pre-loaded songs OR should I buy the cd's we want, load them on my laptop, but the mics and an amp??

I guess it depends how much I'd like to spend. I've got a laptop already. Now if that's a mixer thing, I'm not even sure I can work that thing. Please someone help me in this decision :) thanks a bunch!!

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It always comes down to how much you want to spend.

The components of a karaoke system are...

Player (disc player or laptop and software)
Mixer and Amplifier or Powered Mixer
PA Speakers
Microphones (wired or wireless)
Karaoke music

Let us know what you budget is and maybe we can offer some suggestions.
ashabbychic

Post by ashabbychic »

Thanks for replying!! I bidded on a system on eBay from lightyear karaoke I believe the name is. It comes with 2 speakers, wireless mics, and the player and it can hold 20,000 songs. It also has 1,000+ songs on it. I'm planning on using my laptop for the screen. I don't know how to save CDs on it. I see there are cdg and super cdg--some only play in certain players and I have no idea what can I bought :/ I got everything for $195 roughly. Did I do good or not? Says I can return if I'm not happy. I've heard to just use a laptop and get an amp but I really would like the setup you know? Wished I could show you what all I got. Idk what cords I need or anything!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You say you bid on this system but did you actually win the bid and get the system for $195? I really have no idea what this system could be at that price. Could you post the url of the ebay page here?
ashabbychic

Post by ashabbychic »

I will certainly try!!!
ashabbychic

Post by ashabbychic »

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Here is the correct link to the system.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOME-RECORDING- ... 1e758e5880

I really don't know what to think of this system. For what you paid for it I can't see how anyone could call it a bad deal.

I've never heard of that brand of karaoke machine but the fact that it plays MP3+G files from a hard drive is a big plus. I could not find a user manual or spec sheet for the player and what information is given is very vague.

The Nady wireless microphones are actually not bad for their price. I know some professionals who use them. They are not very sturdy so be careful to never drop them.

I've never heard of those speakers either but this is one of those things where you don't know what you've got until you try them.

Again, there is very little information available on the player but from what I gather you will be able to buy your music on CDG discs, MP3+G discs, and as MP3+G downloads. Stay away from SCDG.

Keep us posted on how this system works out for you. It would be nice to see a user manual.
ashabbychic

Post by ashabbychic »

Thanks so much for your input. I'm glad you told me what discs it'll play. I've emailed them 3x now asking because I didn't know if I needed the regular cdg or super cdg. Is there a particular place that's better to purchase these discs from?? Is the mp3+g a super cdg?
ashabbychic

Post by ashabbychic »

Will the mp3+g discs play just like the cdg, with lyrics and all?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Super CDG is a format by CAVS karaoke and the discs can be played only on their machines.

MP3+G is a compressed version of a karaoke CD+G song much like an MP3 is the compressed version of a regular song. This is the industry standard for computer karaoke song tracks.

You should concern yourself only with CD+G discs, MP3+G discs, and MP3+G downloads.

Ace Karaoke has a huge selection of CD+G discs and TriceraSoft has a huge selection of MP3+G downloads. Some karaoke music manufactures are now offering their songs on MP3+G discs.
ashabbychic

Post by ashabbychic »

Thank you very much for explaining this to me!!
Mona Jamona

Post by Mona Jamona »

I think your system does not come with 1,000+ karaoke songs.
If you look at the picture of your system, it says only $449 for the 1300 song
sd card pack. I really don't think you can get that many songs for $125.
Check and make sure what's included in your system.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Mona Jamona wrote:I think your system does not come with 1,000+ karaoke songs.
If you look at the picture of your system, it says only $449 for the 1300 song
sd card pack. I really don't think you can get that many songs for $125.
Check and make sure what's included in your system.
I noticed that also. I didn't see anywhere that songs were included.
ashabbychic

Post by ashabbychic »

Hi there.....got the system and we really love it!! Yes, it does come with the 1000 songs however they are sending me an upgrade to 2800 songs because they failed to ship it but I had written them an email to verify the songs and sure enough, it does come with it. Not too bad of a deal of around $200.....good speakers, 2 wireless microphones and then the cdg player. I had ordered a good many cdg's too and they are all great. Looking to buy more too. Now if I could carry a tune I'd be set :)

I have another question. While this is great for our home and small gatherings, our civic group might be interested in purchasing one to have when we do community gatherings/grilling out and so on. I am not really that smart in what we would need...of course I know we would need pretty much what I've got, but bigger. I don't want us to get taken by someone who of course knows more than us....what is a good brand, but economical? Would you recommend purchasing it all together? I know we had a guy that we hired for a few hourse and he had a really good set up....speakers on stands...maybe 4 speakers, the "disco" lights--2 of them, his monitor was in a rolling cabinet thing, plus the "board" he used...I guess it's where he controlled the bass and all--it was pretty big, and then his laptop--he had a TON of music!! I ripped all the cdg's onto my laptop but cannot figure out how to hook it up to make it sound decent....it's really "electronic" sounding and choppy too....his sounded great...sure would appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks so much!
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Specification and user manual available here;

http://www.audio2000s.com/products/player/avc7505.htm

I imagine all the components are sourced from there and full specs should be traceable.

Sandy.