New TV Hookups

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

New TV Hookups

Post by Bigdog »

What type of equipment do you need to hook up to the latest TVs? I haven't had much luck with them.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I've yet to come across a TV that doesn't have a coaxial connection.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
mr.dj

Re: New TV Hookups

Post by mr.dj »

Bigdog wrote:What type of equipment do you need to hook up to the latest TVs? I haven't had much luck with them.
Nearly all new TV's have an HDMI connector, most new laptops have an HDMI connector so you just need an HDMI lead.
Any other type of connection will require a converter box of which there are various types depending how you want to hook up.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The TV I'm looking at is a Big Panasonic and the only inputs are VGA looking things (one with 3 row 15 pins and one with 2 rows of pins) and 2 RCA audio connections. There is a RGB box and hookup connected to the back of the TV and is attached to the TV like it's part of it.

NO S-video connector
NO RCA video connector
NO Coax connector

I talked to the guy that installed the TV and he said I need HDMI or I could use the VGA input. (coming right out of the computer and to the TV)

I'm using an AVerMedia AVerKey iMicro PC/Mac-to-TV Converter box that actually has a VGA output. So now I need to buy a long VGA cable and try that.

These new TVs are going to require all new wires and convertors to hook them up.

The guy suggessted I buy new HDMI computers....because all or most of the new ones will come that way. I have $3000 in 2 laptops and buying new ones to hookup a TV isn't even in the option list.

So buying a long VGA cable for $40 is a cheap fix. I just wonder when that won't work anymore. ( I'm not sure it will work now) But I have to buy the cable to find out. I just need to make sure I get a cable with the right ends on it.

I'm not really sure what an HDMI connector/connection even looks like. :oops:

Is that the RGB 3 wire looking thing?

He said I could also buy an analog to digital convertor. Not sure what connectoions that has or what they would look like... :oops:

The hardest thing about doing karaoke has been and always will be getting the TVs to work. :shock:

Could be the reason I spent 7 hours of my own time running coax through the ceiling and couldn't get the new TV to work...no how no way. :evil:

I just lost that job because of lack of attendance... :evil:

I'm down to 2 1/2 nights a week... :cry:

Lost another steady job because of a major mall fire... the bar won't reopen for months and then who knows what will happen. I can't wait around holding a primetime night open on a wing and a prayer.. I took an every other Saturday just to have some money coming in...it could lead to a steady Friday I'm hoping...
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Bigdog wrote: I'm not really sure what an HDMI connector/connection even looks like. :oops:

Is that the RGB 3 wire looking thing?
An HDMI connector is very simalar looking to a usb connector but it's slightly wider and has the two bottom corners shaped at 45 deg.
Bigdog wrote: He said I could also buy an analog to digital convertor. Not sure what connectoions that has or what they would look like... :oops:
I think you would be hard pushed to find an analog to digital video convertor, there are plenty that convert the other way round digital to analog as that's what I use.
Bigdog wrote: The hardest thing about doing karaoke has been and always will be getting the TVs to work. :shock:

Could be the reason I spent 7 hours of my own time running coax through the ceiling and couldn't get the new TV to work...no how no way. :evil:
That's progress :wink:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

What you are trying to connect to is not actually a TV but rather monitor which has no TV tuner. The three row 15 pin sounds like a standard VGA connection. Most people who have had desktop computers have short VGA cables laying around. If you have one you might take the laptop to the monitor and test with a short cable before investing in the long one.

I carry a 42" flat screen with me so if I run into a monitor or TV that I can't connect to they're just going to have to settle for mine.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Wiseguy, after reading your post about that being a monitor I called the bar owner and yes...all his TVs are actually monitors being fed from a source. When they hung it up the installer knew right off the bat I couldn't feed that TV. Now if he would have told me then it was a monitor and what I needed to hook up to it. I could have already been using the thing. :roll:

So I will buy a long VGA cable and try feeding it.

But the other new TV I had a problem with had an RCA video input. I couldn't get a picture on it no matter what I tried. Not with coax or RCA cable.

They make every kind of convertor box backwards and forwards because I did some searching today. He also told me the best way to feed a TV today whether they have HDMI or whatever, is with Cat 5 cable using convertor boxes. They even have wireless feeds.....

He also said to get a multistrand VGA cable because it will be more flexable to deal with when you have to wrap it up...so I think I'll get a 25 foot one and a 75 foot one and that should handle any situation. And maybe a connector hicky to connect them both together just incase...I nned to make sure of the ends I need first. I think they both should be male ends...
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Category 5 cables are typically Ethernet (network) so I'm not sure how that works out. Is he saying to run VGA to a converter box and output to Ethernet. I know many newer TVs have Ethernet connections. Wi-Fi would be great if it was cost effective.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

HI guys,
I haven't weighed in on this untill now but as electronics is what I do for a living, I'll butt in, if you don't mind.

TV/monitor situation;
As has already been mentioned, a monitor is simply a TV without a tuner and will, therefore lack a TV style RF/Co-ax connection.

As Wiseguy has said, any TV with an RF/Co-ax connector can be hooked up with an RF modulator that produces a frequency in the UHF TV band.

However, pretty much ALL modern TV's have either a 15 pin High Density "D" plug VGA type connector that allows the TV to act as a direct computer monitor, or 3 RCA phono sockets (Yellow, Red and White), or both, or various HDMI connectors.

If the RCA phono sockets are present, the Yellow one is ALWAYS the video in and will accept a standard composite video signal.

This signal can be generated using a convertor box that is dirt cheap on eBay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Laptop-VGA ... 51a586cb37

You can use a 75R co-ax or S video cable to hook up your system (assuming the TV has an S video input (also usually Yellow).

PC variations;
certainly untill recently, the standard video output of a PC would be the 3 layer, 15 pin, high density "D" plug mentioned earlier, so a convertor, as above can be used, or a long VGA lead (note that if the cable run is long, you might need high quality and/or a video booster amp).

However, the 75R co-ax lead can be pretty long without boosting.

Some PC's and laptops have other video outputs, typically S video or as modern laptops have, HDMI connectors.

This is driven by HD video and smaller PCB footprints.

Newer systems;
as mentioned above, it's certainly possible to convert your PC output to Cat5/6 network cable and run that over VERY long runs to a "smart" TV but I've found convertors for this are expensive and I suspect they won't be remotely "future proof".

All manufacturers are striving to get the absolute minimum of components and attachments on their products, so RF connectivity will rule, I suspect within 10 to 20 years at most and the days of cable connection will be over.

There is already technology that will allow an OLED screen to be unrolled and simply stuck on the wall with HD video quality and other than a power supply, there is no external connection.

Bluetooth already has it's place and I believe all PC's in the near future will have no physical connections, other than power, at all.

Sadly, we will either have to give it up, carry around our increasingly obsolete kit or pay out megabucks to upgrade.

Ah me! The price of progress.

Sandy.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

mnementh wrote:HI guys,
I haven't weighed in on this untill now but as electronics is what I do for a living, I'll butt in, if you don't mind.

TV/monitor situation;
As has already been mentioned, a monitor is simply a TV without a tuner and will, therefore lack a TV style RF/Co-ax connection.

As Wiseguy has said, any TV with an RF/Co-ax connector can be hooked up with an RF modulator that produces a frequency in the UHF TV band.
Sandy.
Just to add to this question of TV Verses Monitor.
Most monitors are capable of much higher resolutions than a TV even in high definition.
You can tell the difference right away if you view a page of text from a word processor on on your TV against a Monitor.
Admitted as far as the text goes for karaoke displays it's not a problem.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I was successful in getting the monitor to work.... :D