Is YAMAHA MG82CX a good mixer for karaoke?

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
drchipster

Is YAMAHA MG82CX a good mixer for karaoke?

Post by drchipster »

Hi,
I'm new to karaoke. I'm looking for a good mixer for my first home karaoke system. While browsing on Amazon I came across this MG82CX mixer which has high rating from buyers. Its reasonable price also fits my budget. I'd appreciate your help with the following questions.
1. Does MG82CX fit the bill for a small home karaoke system? I have no plan to do any recording, just karaoke singing. It's a small room around 200 sq.ft. I already have a receiver/amplifier (Sony STR-D965).
2. A must-have feature for my wife is 'digital key control'. From time to time she wants to adjust the key of the music up/down. Does the MG82CX support this?
3. There are a lot of knobs. Is there a recommended setting to begin with? I know I'll have to tweak/adjust them for the best output based on my listening preference.
4. I know surround sound speakers are not good for karaoke and I need PA speakers. Any recommendation for good PA speakers for a small room (~200 sq.ft.)?
Thanks.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

That is a nice mixer and should work out great. It will NOT supply key control. Key control is a feature of karaoke disc players or karaoke file playing software.

That Sony receiver/amplifier is a dinosaur from 1995... lol. It also does not have the power to effectively drive most PA speakers. My advice is that you go with powered speakers or get a better amp.

As far as the settings on the mixer... they need to all be set to their "neutral" position. That will be straight up for some and full left for others. You will tweak the sound from there. The instruction manual will show you how to set the Gain for each channel.

Sorry I don't have time to go into any specifics right now. Someone else will probably be along to add to this.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

As Wiseguy stated it is a good mixer but does not have key control.
Most karaoke computer software has key control built into the programs as does most players.
If you specifically need a mixer with key control look at Vocopro mixers.
Example here: http://www.vocopro.com/products/product_info.php?ID=37
A bit money although you may find it cheaper if you shop around :)

I also recommend using Active speakers, no worries about matching amplifiers.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System