What is Hurting your business the most right now?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

What is Hurting your business the most right now?

Post by Bigdog »

From talking to other people lately...I hear the same thing that business is DOWN everywhere. Even on weekends.

So I'm asking you....in you area of operation what is hurting your crowds the most?

1. The economy
2. Bands
3. DJs
4. Other KJs (too much competition in a small area)
5. Is smoking/non smoking a factor?

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It certainly isn't bands as they are virtually nonexistent around here. It's not DJs because I also DJ. Smoking bars are not a factor because all the bars are smoking bars. I blame it partially on the economy but mostly on the stepped up enforcement of DUI laws. It's rumored that the legal limit is going to be lowered again from .08 to .05. So basically you can forget about having a single drink without a designated driver. The bar business is a dying business.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I'd say #1 is top of the list, in England super market beer and alcohol prices are so much cheaper than the bars people just stay at home with their fridge pack.
2 & 3 I think they are finding it just as hard.
4 I will select 4, what I'm finding now is a lot of bars are doing it their self now, just pay one of their staff to KJ.
5 No smoking is in all the bars and is strictly enforced here so you can't go elsewhere apart from outside in the designated smoking areas, at first it seemed to put people off but they seem to be coming to terms with it now, and most people I talk to think it's for the better.
To find a midweek karaoke in my town is none existent apart from as I mentioned above those that do it their selves.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mr.dj wrote:I'd say #1 is top of the list, in England super market beer and alcohol prices are so much cheaper than the bars people just stay at home with their fridge pack.
2 & 3 I think they are finding it just as hard.
4 I will select 4, what I'm finding now is a lot of bars are doing it their self now, just pay one of their staff to KJ.
5 No smoking is in all the bars and is strictly enforced here so you can't go elsewhere apart from outside in the designated smoking areas, at first it seemed to put people off but they seem to be coming to terms with it now, and most people I talk to think it's for the better.
To find a midweek karaoke in my town is none existent apart from as I mentioned above those that do it their selves.
How strict are the dunk driving laws there?
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

The limit hear is 80mg, which for an average male is about 2 pints of 4% alcohol strength beer. Late at night you have a fair chance of being stopped and tested, if you have an accident you would automatically be given a breath test.
Over limit is an automatic ban, minimum I think is 2 years plus fine.
If I'm working I have 1 pint shandy, then it's coke the rest of the night else I get a taxi home and pick my gear up in the morning depending how far it is and how well I know the owners.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Don't know about the States but over here in the UK, I place the blame firmly at the Brewers feet.

They are pricing pubs out of business.

mr.dj talks about supermarket prices but the simple fact is that supermarkets are in business to make money and I do NOT, for a second, believe that they sell beer at less than purchase value as is rumoured, simply to get punters in the door.

Therefore, if the supermarkets can charge about half the price for beer than the pubs, somebody, somewhere must be absolutely coining it in.

Given that I'm an old 'un, I can remember saying that if beer went to half a crown a pint, I was gonna stop drinking.

Here it is now, more than TWENTY TIMES that price and I'm still swilling it down, like a moron.

I'm thinking seriously of going back to home brew. Better product at less than half the cost.

Sandy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

There is talk here about the state privatizing the liquor business and putting the sales in grocery stores. Sounds like they want the money from the liquor tax but they want you to drink it at home.

First offense DUI you pay for the blood test, lose your drivers license for 60 days...have to do some community service...pay to take some type of AA related classes...pay some fines ...pay a lawyer...your car insurance goes way up...if not dropped...

one more little thing

a DUI conviction can remain on your driving records for years, if not forever. Potential employers can see it when they run a background check..some places won't hire you.

Now if all that doesn''t scare you...if they drop the National DUI level to .5....ONE drink and you're toast....

So you think people drink a lot of water and soda now....just wait....more people will be designated drivers...drinking water or just nursing one drink all night....one alcoholic drink stretched over 4 hours ...you should be good to drive the cop car..
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) What is hurting me is old age and health issues I will be hanging up my speakers in Oct of this year after 19 years of hosting. I was working six days a week until my doctor told me I had to cut down to 3 days a week. The economy has also been a factor since my business in located in a county with over 9% unemployment. I'm very lucky that neither pirates, or suing manus have effected anything.