What brand of hard drives do you use?

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Tatton

What brand of hard drives do you use?

Post by Tatton »

What brand of external hard drives do you use? I want to go with 2X 1TB drives, USB 3.0 2.5".

I usually prefer Western Digital, but do they have sleep issues? Also thinking of going with Fantom external drives.

Thanks,

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I use a Western Digital and have had no sleep issues with it. I also have a Seagate for back up purposes.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Two Seagate 500 GB USB powered. Never a problem.
mr.dj

Re: What brand of hard drives do you use?

Post by mr.dj »

Tatton wrote:What brand of external hard drives do you use? I want to go with 2X 1TB drives, USB 3.0 2.5".

I usually prefer Western Digital, but do they have sleep issues? Also thinking of going with Fantom external drives.

Thanks,
What makes you say they have a sleep issue ?
The sleep settings are set in the Power options, If you select the high performance radio button then select edit power options then select change advanced power options in the dialog you can set the hard drive sleep time and the usb among other items.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have been using Western Digital and recently 2 of them crapped out nearly at the same time and I can't figure out why.

Could it have been from being in a suitcase and the case fell over in my van? Would that kill a hard drive?
bamarama

Post by bamarama »

I use WD 2TB for all of my Karaoke music and DJ music. I have another WD 2TB that I use to back everything up with.

I have never seen a (sleep) issue with these drives. I am, however, considering the testing of the newier solid state drives. Is there really that big of a difference in these??
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

bamarama wrote:I am, however, considering the testing of the newier solid state drives. Is there really that big of a difference in these??
Solid State Drives (SSD) are lethally quick and almost shockproof but like all solid state memory have one major drawback.

That is of cells only being writable for so many cycles and then they die.

The drives have massive redundancy built in to cope with this, so realistically, it should never be an issue.

However, my one huge concern about SSD's is that if it does screw up, it would be next to impossible to retrieve any data if you haven't backed it up.

I've successfully swapped platters and control boards on regular drives with no problem, to recover data for other people but have no idea how to do this with an SSD.

If you go SSD, my advice would be to make sure you have a backup.

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:
bamarama wrote:I am, however, considering the testing of the newier solid state drives. Is there really that big of a difference in these??
Solid State Drives (SSD) are lethally quick and almost shockproof but like all solid state memory have one major drawback.

That is of cells only being writable for so many cycles and then they die.

The drives have massive redundancy built in to cope with this, so realistically, it should never be an issue.

However, my one huge concern about SSD's is that if it does screw up, it would be next to impossible to retrieve any data if you haven't backed it up.

I've successfully swapped platters and control boards on regular drives with no problem, to recover data for other people but have no idea how to do this with an SSD.

If you go SSD, my advice would be to make sure you have a backup.

Sandy.
You must have at least one backup no matter what type of drive you use. All of them WILL fail eventually.