Question about Karoake Taping??

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
dad47

Question about Karoake Taping??

Post by dad47 »

Hi I am kinda new here and I know most of the threads are about playing and doing shows, but I would like to know if anyone on the forums has every used Cdg's to tape and record themselves for personal enjoyment. I aquired a really neat Tascam Multi-track recorder and have been messing around with it.

Was just wondering if anyone else had tried this. What type of success and if you have any tips in multi-track recording.

Thanks Dad

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I've done it with reel to reel recorders....in the old days.

I used to try to record people at karaoke shows and ran into a weird problem...To get the recording to come out with the volumes mixed correctly between the canned music and the live vocals...the live sound coming from the speakers had to sound like the mix was wrong. I don't know what the reason was for that.

Multi tracking ...the biggest problem would be with the timing of each track. Making sure you can hear the starting count so all the tracks sync together...since you will be singing along with the canned music....only songs that have short starting counts or no count at all will be the real problem.

Using headphones may help...you'll have to keep an eye on the input meters to keep everything from going red and distorting...try to keep them uniform and as high as possible without red lining..

One thing you will notice is all your singing mistakes when you listen to the play back... :lol:
dad47

Post by dad47 »

Yikes I am not sure i a ready for the mistakes lol. I was going to try and record the music on two of the tracks then play it back through the headphones and record the vocals. I can see where you are correct about the no introduction being hard to sync but with maybe a little practice I can find it.

I will give this a try and see what happens. I aquired a neat little multi track Tascam Mk414 recorder and am goint ot try it. I will as advised watch close on the volumes.

Thanks for the input. this might be fun.

Dad
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You could use the counter....to see when to start...

I'm assuming there is a way to find out where songs start and end with a foot counter on the deck..

http://visual.merriam-webster.com/commu ... e-deck.php

(Tape Counter in the picture)

Set the counter to zero....push the start button when a number you choose to start with is centered in the window...
dad47

Post by dad47 »

Yes I do have the counters on my machines. I will try and sync them together and see what happens. Thanks Dad