I'm F...ed Up...

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) Personally speaking if he is not speaking to you that is the best of all worlds, considering what happened between you. There is a gap between you that will maybe never be bridged. He will hopefully find some other place to sing and you will continue with your show, seems like a win, win situation.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

He most certainly did me a favor ...if he stays gone it will be wonderful.....he's a butthole that drinks too much and doesn't play well with others.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

This thread prompts the question... "do you ever ban singers from your shows?".
The Lone Ranger

8) Most of the time I could handle any problems, but then I was very careful about the type of places I played. Usually the bar manager did his or her job and there were no problems. In the few cases where there was a problem I just picked up the show and went to the next job. I was lucky there always seemed to be someone who hired me once they knew I had an open day. So no I never had anyone banned, a few were banned by the management but that was their call.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Years ago I banned a guy....he left threatening phone messages on my machine

I banned another one a few years ago because he threw the microphone to the next singer.

I won't hesitate to ban anyone especially for equipment abuse.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I've banned several people over the years. Mostly for repeatedly trying to beat the rotation system. I give people plenty of warnings before I tell them that they will never sing on my system again. A couple guys are banned from even entering a bar I'm playing in. One of them for taking a swing at me for not letting his girlfriend sing enough and another because he would continually bother the singers by trying to sing with them when they didn't want him to.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Have some people from time to time hooting and hollering at singers to the point of harassment. I had to tell the bar owners to take charge because these a holes are going to chase out regular singers...

I don't get the screaming drunk crowd so I hardly ever have trouble....usually it's from a non regular
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

My rotation is first come first served, new singers go to the end of the line. Does it mean latecomers may not get to sing, yes but it is about as fair as one can get for the ones that truly support the show by coming early enough to sing.
The Lone Ranger

8) Finally something me and Danny agree on a strict rotation format, who would of thought. I'm in shock.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DanG2006 wrote:My rotation is first come first served, new singers go to the end of the line. Does it mean latecomers may not get to sing, yes but it is about as fair as one can get for the ones that truly support the show by coming early enough to sing.
My rotation is strict as far as playing favorites.

But my main job...the reason I am there is to bring in more business.....that said there is a fine line to walk here.....but I will always try to get everyone there to sing at least one time in the night.

And unless you are watching every single person walking in the door...how do you know if the late singer hasn't been there a while drinking and getting up,the courage to sing....I will not try to guess who has been here all night and who just walked in...unless I see them just walk in....and try to guess who is drinking $14 dollar drinks or just water.....

I have turned people down especially if te rotation is huge and they just walked in, in the last half hour.....but I normally try to get even a late comer in to sing once.....it could create a new steady customer...thn again it could backfire because they have no intention of ever coming back for any number of reasons....

But turning away people if the rotation is relatively small just because they ciouldn't be there to help you carry in your stuff...hurts business.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:My rotation is first come first served, new singers go to the end of the line. Does it mean latecomers may not get to sing, yes but it is about as fair as one can get for the ones that truly support the show by coming early enough to sing.
If I did this at a large percentage of my gigs I could put up a "no more song requests" sign before the halfway point. I never want people to think that there is no point coming to my shows if they can't make it there within the first two hours. Those who show up the earliest will always be rewarded by getting to sing more songs.
The Lone Ranger

8) That is the point to a rotation system guys the host picks one they like and sticks with it. It is the being consistent part that is important once you deviate from the normal then there is a problem. The bottom line is if it works for you then go with it. When I was working I decided that my target market was the "Baby Boomers" that is the group I most identify with. After all I'm now 68 years old.

This group is the largest single segment of all groups, with the most disposable income. Their music tastes mirror my own, they usually come early to a show and leave before midnight. They tip well and since most of them are in their 60's they rarely get in fights or cause any kind of trouble. I specialized in family entertainment and nothing vulgar or cheap. That is why I did so many private parties, mobile home parks, and weddings, of course at weddings no karaoke just DJ dance music.

Having a definite target market and shaping your product to suit their needs provided me with a nice income and a market niche. I managed to leave the only bar scene and expand into where the real money is private clubs and parties, weddings, even kids birthday parties. One of the more sadder sidelines in my later career was funerals. I was surprised how many long term friends wanted me to do entertainment at their funerals. At first I thought this was not a good idea until my Irish Mom pointed out a wake was a cultural tradition. Going out with a party, the money was good, but still it was one of the reasons I decided to retire, too many friends gone in too short a time.

:( :( :( :(
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What's good for you doesn't mean it's good for the bar to attract new business. Who will be happier and more likely to come back?? Someone that got to sing or someone that didn't?

I can't tell you how many times I've seen KJs rotations policy chase people away. Usually it's because they played favorites..
The Lone Ranger

8) That is why I tried to move away from the bar scene being such a big part of my business. You might say I expanded my potential number of possible gigs. It worked well for me for many years, I was working six days a week until for health reasons I had to cut down my work schedule in half, and finally totally retire from the business at the end of October of last year. That is why if you have a system you have to discipline yourself not to alter it. The reason I had new singers is because they liked my strict rotation no nonsense approach. Only the bar hoppers and the other casual singers had a problem with it. My regulars kept coming back every week, they are the bread and butter of the host anyway.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Another thing Lone and i agree on. The most consistent rotation policy the better for you. The bar hoppers don't pay your salary, the regulars do. It;'s getting those bar hoppers to switch to being regulars that come at the beginning of the night that is the tough part. Because if you favor the barhoppers then the regulars drop away, if you favor the regulars then the bar hoppers stop coming. It truly is a fine line. So I choose a method that favors nobody.