The experiment is over or will be in April.

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
DanG2006

The experiment is over or will be in April.

Post by DanG2006 »

I think that I have given the experiment with the Bose mixer and the JBL Line Array Speaker System enough time to figure out that I don't really care for either. I don't like the fact that I have to go through menus to get to the EQ controls and then back to the level indicators. I am going back to an analog mixer that will allow allow me to adjust the EQ settings, FX settings and volume level settings without having to mess with any menus on the mixer, the menus will all be in my mind where it belongs. As to the Line Array, I ran into the issue that the Line Array that I chose to get isn't adequate for one of the venues that I do. I have already chosen what is going to replace the Bose mixer and the Line Array System. The other advantage to the analog mixer that I have chosen is that I can completely retire my mic system that has one of the mic channels becoming useless to me. The grill on the mics that I am retiring in favor of my Digital wireless mic system I believe is compatible with a mic system that that I sold a friend of mine allowing him to be able to use both mics. That system was the original AKG WMS40 dual mic system. Both channels are not in the affected frequency range so it would have been possible to have repaired the broken mic which was basically a broken grill.

mr.dj

Re: The experiment is over or will be in April.

Post by mr.dj »

Are you a wealthy man ?
I find it hard to keep up with the equipment you buy in your quest for the ultimate system.
It seems not long ago you were going all digital so you could interact with your singers. Do you manage to get your equipment on a trial basis or do you have to sell it on ?
Is it the other mans grass is always greener ?

I'm still coming to terms with my Bose T8 mixer only had it a couple of days not used it at a show yet.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

One word Zzounds.com
I am basically getting a whole new system for $135 down $118 a month for 12 months. That is a whole new system minus the mics which I already have.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Okay the price went up due to deciding to getting better speakers and a better amplifier.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Somehow I was able to bring the price down but I really don't know how. All I did was substitute one mixer for another.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Well, I went from using all Behringer products for the mixer and speakers and eliminated the amplifier from the equation. I am going with Yamaha products, Yamaha MG10XU mixer and Yamaha DXR8 speakers. I added a Rock and Roller cart to the cart so I can use it to transport the system between the car and the venue.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I'm perplexed by your decision. What did you not like about the jbl eon one you have, was it just underpowered for the larger crowd ? I would have thought better getting a second eon one to boost power rather than a pair of 8" speakers unless you plan to add a SUB as well.
Having said this I have no knowledge of the DXR8 or the eon one myself. I'm sure the MG10XU will work fine with the eon speaker system.
Plus sticking with the eon one system would be more versatile as you could still use the single unit for smaller venues and if ever one should fail (unlikely) a single one I'm sure would perform better than a single DXR8.

The cart are OK if there are no stairs or steps involved :(
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I have never needed any subs in the 20 years that I have been doing this. I consider them wasted space in the car. I am not a club DJ and the bars around here that want Karaoke really don't have the space for extra equipment. My budget is stretched to the max with this purchase. The only thing that would keep me from getting the DXR8 speakers would be definitely info that would convince me that they are not at least comparable to the EV ZXA1 speakers that I used to have.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

What was it you disliked about the Eon one ?
Just curious that's all.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Not enough power. Does not deliver on the sound the same in the back of the room as in the front. Too hard to put together and especially take apart. I have to struggle to separate the speaker from the extension and I am actually afraid that I am going to break the speaker one day from struggling to get it apart. It was just a huge mistake. I should have just bought an amplifier and speaker stands that I can put the speakers on and then raise it to the proper height instead of wasting my money on the JBL system. As to why I want to go back to the Yamaha MG10XU mixer, I just want everything that I need to adjust in my eyesight rather than have to deal with menus. I basically want the menus in my mind and not on the mixer. I just couldn't adjust to the Bose mixer.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I see, not as easy as they show in their eon demo videos then.

I'm with you on the mixer thing, I'm still learning the menu function on my Tonematch 8. Its much easier on the analogue mixers to see all the settings layed out in front of you.

I wont be selling my analogue mixer just yet as I may be going back to it.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I decided to go with the passive setup. Mainly because I don't see myself finding venues that have ready outlets to plug in the speakers. For the speakers, I am going back to the ZX1-90 speakers that I just sold, if I knew that the JBL Eon One wasn't going to cut it, if it doesn't work in a small bar it's definitely not going to work in larger bars. The main reasons I am not looking to add a second JBL Eon One is the fact that I wouldn't have anyplace to set it up and connect with it. My Bluetooth transmitter crapped out on me, that is what I get for going cheap on eBay.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The amp that I am going to be getting is the GX5 by QSC and the speakers that I am going to be getting are the EV ZX1 speakers.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Change of plans. Instead of a passive system, I am getting a pair of EV ZXA1 speakers and a ZXA1 sub. Might be getting a second sub if I need to.