Buying a new system

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Babs

Buying a new system

Post by Babs »

:D I have been doing karaoke for 8 months now. I have a gig in a medium sized bar, working 3 nights a week. I'm looking to buy a whole new system. The one I use now is a hand me down system. It is a nice system, but has seen better days.

I'm looking to spend any where between $2000 - $4000. I would love some advice on what you all think is the best system to invest in. The Vocopro name pops up a lot when I search the web. I'm not afraid to piece together the system to save money, but would like to keep it as portable as possible without giving up quality. I don't plan on keeping my old system at all.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I've owned and operated a karaoke company for over 15 years and have put together quite a few systems. From my experience these are my suggestions.

The Pioneer PD-V10G Dual Tray is the most dependable CDG player on the market. Has all the needed features and loads discs very fast.

The Mackie 406M Powered Mixer and the Peavey XR696F Powered Mixer are both great for karaoke.

My favorite speakers are the JBL MP215 MPro and the SoundTech ST15RX

The AKG WMS80 UHF Handheld Wireless microphones out perform the Shure mics in my opinion.

I've tried out some VocoPro systems and found them lacking in professional quality. I think they are better suited for home use.
Babs

Post by Babs »

Thank you so much for your reply-
Very helpfull
It is interesting you posted about a wireless mic - I was under the impression wireless mics work poorly in an enviroment with a lot of neon - What is your experience?
Babs

Post by Babs »

I just purchased the Pioneer PD-V10G. It was $318 plus shipping at www.bestag.com
It seems that Pioneer is discontinuing the product. It was hard to find. I'm hoping I don't get a reply from the company that they are out of stock.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I was under the impression wireless mics work poorly in an environment with a lot of neon - What is your experience?
Neon lights have very little, if any, affect on wireless mic performance. They can occasionally receive interference in areas of high radio transmission activity like that from police cars, taxis, etc.. although this is rarely enough of a problem to cause concern. Most wireless mics work on multiple frequencies which allow you to select one where there is no interference. Some do this automatically. It is virtually imperative that you use wireless mics when performing professional karaoke. You simply cannot have mic cords strung around the floor.
I just purchased the Pioneer PD-V10G. It was $318 plus shipping at www.bestag.com
It seems that Pioneer is discontinuing the product. It was hard to find. I'm hoping I don't get a reply from the company that they are out of stock.
Unfortunately, for some reason beyond my imagination, Pioneer has discontinued the manufacture of the PD-V10G. There are some of these players yet available but are becoming increasingly harder to find. I've also heard that there are refurbished ones being sold that come with a full warranty and sell for much less than a new one. This might be worth checking out.
Babs

Post by Babs »

You simply cannot have mic cords strung around the floor.
wiseguy - :) You are straight and to the point - you hold no punches - I like it!

Thank you again - I seem to be getting bad advice from others