video on laptops

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
aussie1_1973

video on laptops

Post by aussie1_1973 »

Hi
I am trying to find the particulars on any laptops that will display the video on both the laptop screen and multiple TV'S. Is there anyone out there that is successfully doing this? Most laptops will on display it on one or the other.
Any help would be appreciated :?:

venodos

Post by venodos »

aussie1_1973 wrote:Hi
I am trying to find the particulars on any laptops that will display the video on both the laptop screen and multiple TV'S. Is there anyone out there that is successfully doing this? Most laptops will on display it on one or the other.
Any help would be appreciated :?:
I believe that ALT & F5 Key switches screens to Single mode You did not say what Make/Model Laptop you have (They are not all the same)
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I am trying to find the particulars on any laptops that will display the video on both the laptop screen and multiple TV'S.
Your laptop must have a "dual display" graphics card. ATI makes one that is included in some karaoke ready laptops. Here's a link: http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9700/
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:
I am trying to find the particulars on any laptops that will display the video on both the laptop screen and multiple TV'S.
Your laptop must have a "dual display" graphics card. ATI makes one that is included in some karaoke ready laptops. Here's a link: http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9700/
Just got a laptop that at first I though it would be thge same as another I previously purchased as it used the same ATi card but soon found the right driver through www.driversguide.com which saved my life in purchasing more computer stuff.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Your computer needs the extended display mode. You must turn on (enable) the second display.

After that, you may have to drag the karaoke screen over to the second display.
bazookajoe

vga hookup

Post by bazookajoe »

ok, now I understand a little more. Let me ask this. My laptop does have dual monitor capability. I looked in the control panel and found monitor 1 and also monitor 2 capability is there. It appears all i need to do is activate
#2 and set the resolution for that monitor 2. I also note that my laptop has a VGA (female) socket. If i pick up a Flat Screen monitor with the VGA socket and get a male to male VGA cord and hook them together will I be in business after setting the resolution on #2 ? Also are there differences in the flat screens other than the older CRT monitors and newer LCDs. Also, are there some flat screens that would not be compatible. I am definitely getting the newer LCD screen. Im thinking i won't need an RF converter or modulator for such a setup. Please give me your input and thanks.
DanG2006

Re: vga hookup

Post by DanG2006 »

bazookajoe wrote:ok, now I understand a little more. Let me ask this. My laptop does have dual monitor capability. I looked in the control panel and found monitor 1 and also monitor 2 capability is there. It appears all i need to do is activate
#2 and set the resolution for that monitor 2. I also note that my laptop has a VGA (female) socket. If i pick up a Flat Screen monitor with the VGA socket and get a male to male VGA cord and hook them together will I be in business after setting the resolution on #2 ? Also are there differences in the flat screens other than the older CRT monitors and newer LCDs. Also, are there some flat screens that would not be compatible. I am definitely getting the newer LCD screen. Im thinking i won't need an RF converter or modulator for such a setup. Please give me your input and thanks.
Should work fine.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

How do you plan to hook up to the bar TVs? Coax or RCA.
bazookajoe

Post by bazookajoe »

I don't do bars, only parties, weddings etc. just need the one monitor besides the laptop.
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

OK, I have a question about this also. I know that you are limited to approximately a 10' video cable running from the laptop to the 2nd monitor. Any longer than that and video degradation happens. Do KJs set up this close to the singer? I have no KJ experience, but have done tons of sound engineering for bands where I use a snake and mix sound facing the band, and I am in the audience so I am hearing exactly what the audience is hearing. Can a KJ use this arrangement, maybe using video distribution amplifiers? What if the KJ wants to distribute the video signal to multiple monitors, do you guys use additional hardware to handle this?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Cheack out AverMedia. http://www.avermedia-usa.com/presentati ... imicro.asp

I use to handle the video out. It connects to the external video display plug (VGA) on the laptop. Then you can use Composite, S-Video, RGB, Computer Monitor (PC or MAC) Pass Through Output.

I take the video using an RCA wire to an RF Modulator. This converts the signal to COAX cable. This then feeds into an RF amplifer to boost the signal. I then feed my TVs.
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

Bigdog, do you recommend any particular RF modulator?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Find the cheapest one you can. Look at MCM ELECTRONICS. Search RF Modulators. They have RCA to COAX and I have seen new ones that also do S-Video to coax.

To make longers runs to multple TVs you also need an RF AMPLIFIER. (MCM) I use a 1 in and 4 out.
enzoab

Post by enzoab »

alfalfa4381 wrote:OK, I have a question about this also. I know that you are limited to approximately a 10' video cable running from the laptop to the 2nd monitor. Any longer than that and video degradation happens. Do KJs set up this close to the singer? I have no KJ experience, but have done tons of sound engineering for bands where I use a snake and mix sound facing the band, and I am in the audience so I am hearing exactly what the audience is hearing. Can a KJ use this arrangement, maybe using video distribution amplifiers? What if the KJ wants to distribute the video signal to multiple monitors, do you guys use additional hardware to handle this?
Hi Members,

I'm new to this great site. I set up a cable system at a remote site to show KJ and video in, an indoor/outdoor club, or sorts. I'm using 50' SVHS cables to feed a projector and a 19" monitor and a 50' VGA cable to feed the projector with no problems at all. Zero image problems. I'm using a desk top with a 512 card at the moment, I'll side grade to a laptop as my primary soon.

I bought all cables from www.monoprice.com. Amazing prices, no issues with quality yet and a no restocking charge policy.

Mark
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I recently had some issues with cables made in China. I'm not buying Chinese stuff anymore.

The latest set of tires I put on my van are Chinese. Not intentionally but I wasn't paying attention to where they were made. The van seems to wander all over the road. Makes it look like I'm drunk driving. NO MORE CHINESE TIRES FOR ME. USA ALL THE WAY.