New setup

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Singer

New setup

Post by Singer »

Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum, and I’m looking forward to receiving and sharing information that is valuable to and from other members.
Ok I’ve decided to dust off those mics and finally set up a home system better than the one I already have which has not been used for a few years. My old system is CDG (RSQ 505G)and operated through my home entertainment equipment.
Some years ago I purchased an External Hard Drive (2TB) loaded with software for a Laptop and thousands of tunes.But because of a few reasons, one being a total lack of knowledge as to what kind of Hardware I required it never got put together.
My Laptop is just about managing to do what is asked of it already, and therefore is inadequate and unreliable for a Karaoke setup.
So this is where I need your help, firstly I need a Laptop/ Notebook/ Chromebook call it what you will that is suitable for the size of the Hard Drive I have. Then it’s all the other technical equipment required before we complete the connection to my 40” Sony TV. One item I do have is a Allen & Heath ZED 10 mixer still boxed not opened.
So as you can tell my Karaoke entertainment ground to a sudden halt.
I now need to get this system up and running, and with your help it will happen.
I looK forward to your replies and thank you in advance.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: New setup

Post by wiseguy »

Welcome to the forum. To start with, would you tell us what software and what type of karaoke song files are in the 2TB hard drive.
Singer

Post by Singer »

Hi wise guy,
After reading through my emails Sent to me at the time of purchase, they suggest that I download virtual DJ, so sorry for the misleading comment saying it was already loaded.
Singer

Post by Singer »

Not sure about the kind of files.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Singer wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:01 pm Not sure about the kind of files.
Knowing the type of files on the hard drive is important for moving forward. I strongly suspect that they are MP3+G files (an mp3 and a cdg for each song) or karaoke zips which are the two files for each song being zipped together into a single zip file. Can you plug the hard drive into your laptop to explore its contents?

There are many software applications that will play MP3+G files. Many will run on older laptops. What are the specs of the laptop you have (operating system, processor, hard drive size, etc.)?
Singer

Post by Singer »

I’ll check it out as soon as I can. Thanks
Singer

Post by Singer »

Hi wiseguy
This is the specification of my dated Laptop.

Basic Specs DELL STUDIO 1737
Type:notebookOperating System:Win Vista Home Premium
Processor DELL STUDIO 1737
Processor:Pentium 2000 MHzProcessor Model:T4200Number of Cores:2L2 cache:1 MBThe system bus:800 MHzChipset Model:Intel GM45
Memory DELL STUDIO 1737
Memory:2048 MB DDR2 800 MHz
Display DELL STUDIO 1737
Display:17-inch, 1440x900, widescreenGraphics Controller:built-inGraphics Chipset Model:Intel GMA 4500MHDGraphics Memory:SMA
Storage Devices DELL STUDIO 1737
Optical Drive Type:DVD-RW, internalStorage Size:250 GB Serial ATAHard Drive Speed:5400 r/min
Communication DELL STUDIO 1737
LAN/Modem:NIC 1000 Mbit/sWireless Communication:bluetooth, Wi-Fi 802.11nInterfaces:USB 2.0x5, FireWire, VGA (D-Sub), HDMI, microphone input, audio output/headphone, LAN (RJ-45)
Expansion slots DELL STUDIO 1737
ExpressCard slot:ExpressCard/54Memory Card Reader:YesMemory Card Support:MS, SD, xD-Picture Card
Battery DELL STUDIO 1737
Maximum Battery Run Time:3 hoursBattery Chemistry:Li-Ion
Input Devices DELL STUDIO 1737
Pointing Device Type:Touchpad
Audio DELL STUDIO 1737
Speakers:YesMicrophone:Yes
Detailed Specs DELL STUDIO 1737
Webcam:YesFeatures:Lock slotDimensions (HxWxT):392x289x43 mmWeight:3.6 kgAdditional information:yes a modification to the ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

No way that laptop is going to even work with the hard drive. Too old. I suggest looking at a newer laptop. If it's from the company that I think it is then the software that came with it was obsolete as well. I believe that it was JustKaraoke 2. The number of files would require a lot faster database lookup than JustKaraoke has. I would suggest that you look at OpenKJ. It has a much faster look up and is freeware. Www.openkj.org is the website.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I've run karaoke software on an XP laptop with less resources than yours. I see no reason why you should not be able to connect the external USB hard drive to your laptop. Have you even tried this?
Singer

Post by Singer »

DanG2006 thanks for helping sort my issue. That was my plan to buy a new laptop, any suggestions as to which one.
Singer

Post by Singer »

Hi wiseguy, don’t even want to plug it in to the Dell if I can help it. But if I need to then perhaps I will have to.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Singer wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:56 am Hi wiseguy, don’t even want to plug it in to the Dell if I can help it. But if I need to then perhaps I will have to.
Why not? You can't hurt anything.
Singer

Post by Singer »

Ok guys we have connected the Hard Drive to the Laptop (what a bad piece of equipment my Laptop is) anyway I have some Screenshots. Am I allowed to show them on here, if so how can it be done. Software is onboard.Definitely need a new Laptop for sure.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

At the bottom left of the text area you will see the words "Add image to post". Click on that and you will be able to browse to and select your image.
Singer

Post by Singer »