Charge for singing

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
suncitybob64

Charge for singing

Post by suncitybob64 »

I want to sing at assisted living homes for 1 hour and get paid for it. I was told that if I do this I can not use disks that I burned tracks on from Karaoke Guide

I was told that I can only use disks that I buy like Chartbuster, Sweet Georgea Brown Monster etc.i believe he also said that I can use my laptop and use karaoke songs from you tube. Is he correct because I have already burned 7 disks.
I only want to charge $25 for the hour of entertainment.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Charge for singing

Post by wiseguy »

Who told you these things?
suncitybob64

Post by suncitybob64 »

A gentleman that I met at Breezy Point Minnesota. He told me that if I want to sing karaoke for money like at assisted living homes as entertainment I can not burn my own songs because if I get caught I could get in trouble. He said to buy manufactured disks or put karaoke off of You Tube on to a scan disk. How much is true I do not know.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

suncitybob64 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:42 am A gentleman that I met at Breezy Point Minnesota. He told me that if I want to sing karaoke for money like at assisted living homes as entertainment I can not burn my own songs because if I get caught I could get in trouble. He said to buy manufactured disks or put karaoke off of You Tube on to a scan disk. How much is true I do not know.
He is technically correct. The songs obtained the way you described are not licensed for professional use. Either are the YouTube videos as far as that goes. Without recommending that you do something illegal I can tell you that it's very unlikely that you would be caught using those songs in a retirement home. There is a karaoke song producer who represents several karaoke song brand names who sends agents around to random bars to check if they are using licensed songs. There are thousands and thousands of bars that provide karaoke entertainment so this company would be able to check out a very small percentage of them. I've never heard of them visiting a retirement home.

To be perfectly legal you would need to buy the original karaoke disc (which most are no longer available) or buy downloads of fully licensed karaoke songs from a website like Karaoke Version.
suncitybob64

Post by suncitybob64 »

I already have bought some Sweet Georgea Brown disks and I am looking to buy some disks from Monster and Chartbusters. Would those be ok or no different than me burning them.

Thank you for your input.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

suncitybob64 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:03 am I already have bought some Sweet Georgea Brown disks and I am looking to buy some disks from Monster and Chartbusters. Would those be ok or no different than me burning them.

Thank you for your input.
Playing karaoke songs from the original disc is always okay. The problem with discs is that you will often buy an entire disc of songs to get just one or two that you want. That's why buying single song downloads, like you would get from a site like Karaoke Version, more economical. Also, song files can be played from your laptop with karaoke hosting software which has many more features than any karaoke machine.
suncitybob64

Post by suncitybob64 »

Since I am already getting songs downloaded from Karaokie Guide to my laptop plus I have Karafun and I am only using this to make a little money singing at assisted living homes, I really do not need karaokie hosting software but I would need some good inexpensive speakers that would plug into my USB port since I do not have any RCA ports. I also need speakers to plug in my microphone to be able to sing. This might be a good option Portable 15″ Bluetooth® Party Speaker with Disco Light Model: NDS-1517 .
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Partytyme.net sells downloads that are commercially legal in the USA. The company that was going out investigating and suing has actually put the operation on hold to concentrate on making new songs but is putting them out very slowly because of difficulty getting the rights. I really don't understand why because Partytyme is putting out new releases left and right and getting permissions from the rights agencies without any trouble.