Looking to buy a new system - Is this one crap?

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
travis54

Looking to buy a new system - Is this one crap?

Post by travis54 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Wiseguy it seems like you are the man around here so I would really appreciate your input. I used to work for a KJ in my younger days and I enjoyed it very much. Now I would like to try it on my own. I have talked to a few bars in the area and I have the interest for about 3 or 4 days a week so far. None of these bars are real large. Biggest crowd that I would expect would never exceed 100. I have enough cash to purchase this unit and a couple monitors. I liked that fact that it had almost everything I needed to start up. Lights etc.

If anyone has any help for me I would love to here it. I am in NE Pennsylvania. I have looked at some other systems online but most I like are 4000-5000 with out any extras
I have about half that, is there any hope.

Travis Rhoad
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Hi Travis,

First I just have to say "what's with the black text on the dark blue background?" That ad is nearly impossible to read.

Ok, you asked for my opinion, so here it is.

It bothers me that no brand name is mentioned for the amp, mics, or speakers. This leads be to believe that they may be some inferior "off brand" that would be difficult to get serviced. I also noticed that there is no cash refund. If the components turn out to be junk, you are stuck with them.

I have received much negative feedback about the dependability of the CAVS players. It seems that they do not hold up well under professional use. I am also not a fan of the SCDG disc system for several reasons which I won't go into now.

Effect lighting really has no place in karaoke. Unless you also plan on doing some DJ work, the lighting is a needless expense.

The bottom line is that you could not put this system together with quality components for that price. It's the old "if it sounds to good to be true" bit. So just be careful to not become part of another Ebay buyer horror story.
travis54

Post by travis54 »

Thank you so much for your input. Do you have any sugestions for getting something for around 2000 - 2500 to be totally setup or is that even possible. I looked at some used systems but am leary of the condition an outdated equipment. let me know if you can
Travis Rhoad
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Do you have any suggestions for getting something for around 2000 - 2500 to be totally setup or is that even possible. I looked at some used systems but am leary of the condition an outdated equipment. let me know if you can
I wouldn't recommend buying used electronic equipment but if you can find used karaoke CDG discs (in good condition), at a good price, then grab them up. The music is always the most expensive part of a professional karaoke system.

You will want to put together a good sounding system without falling into the "power = quality" mindset. You don't need a 1000 watt amp and some huge mixing board with two dozen sliders and knobs.

Start by reading over my Build Your Karaoke System page. In the meantime I'll work on putting a karaoke system together in your price range.
travis54

Post by travis54 »

Thankyou so much if you want you can email me direct
[email protected]
If you email me I will give you my phone number
If you don't mind me asking were are you from?
Thanks again
Travis Rhoad
jbguy

Post by jbguy »

Hey there:

Well, I just bought this same system from the same buyer...just set it up and used it for a New Year's Eve party. Pretty good quality I think, but I'm just starting out...anyway, I thought you might like to know what the equipment is...

Mixer: Europower PMH660M by Behringer.
Speakers: Pyle Pro PPHP1292 (600 Watt)
The microphones, I don't have the info with me at the moment...

But, I think that it was a good deal for what I spent...I'm planning on using it for my own Karaoke business and will cater to small bars and private/corporate events.

Just my "two-cents" on it.

jbguy...
Just bought a karaoke system - getting ready to start karaoke business...