Converting a S-Video signal to a RCA Signal

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
auditboy41598

Converting a S-Video signal to a RCA Signal

Post by auditboy41598 »

Last Saturday I hooked up my laptop and the out going signal was s-video. I had the s-video signal going into a convertor box and the out going signal was RCA to a televion set. It worked fine. The next day the signal did not work. I just go off the phone with Toshiba and they said you cannot convert a s-video signal to a rca.

My question?

How ia everyone else hooking their laptop to a televison?
What type of connection are you using?
Are you able to convert S-video to RCA?
What type of converter box are you using?
Are you using the crt connector out to a RCA?

I would believe Toshiba if it did'nt happen, but it did.

Your feedback is always welcome. Thanks for taking the time.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

By "converter box" do you mean an RF modulator? An RF modulator accepts a raw video signal (s-video) via an RCA cable and converts it to a VHF signal (coaxial cable connection) which can be displayed on a standard TV.

The connection is:
Video out from laptop to video in of RF converter.
Coaxial TV out from RF converter to TV coaxial connection.
Modulator is switchable between channels 3 and 4 so set the TV channel accordingly.
auditboy41598

Post by auditboy41598 »

I have a box that takes one S-video, and RCA inputs and can export the signal out to 5 monitors
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You can get an RF MOdualator that has an S-video input built in. The put put is like you were working with cable to tv.
Tthe guy from toshiba knows nothing as I own a little piece that converts S-video to RCa and works perfectly. Had bought it as I had a s-video out of an IBM laptop and it did not come with an adaptor for what I needed it for. You can get one at Radio Shack.
make sure you are hooked up to a powered on monitor before powering the laptop. That might solve your issue that you had previously.
My present laptop has an RCA out. But the video card I built into my Rackmount came with an adapter.
auditboy41598

Post by auditboy41598 »

Dang2006 you are correct about the guy at Toshiba full of stuff. I went to Radio Shack tonight and got a s-video to RCA connector. Expensive little thing!. It worked just fine. Thanks again for your help and taking the time.

Have a good night :P
Superstar

Post by Superstar »

We had the same problem. Our first night out with our new laptop when we connected to our TV, it never worked. After that we hooked up an old computer monitor and it worked immediately. Our only problem is the cord from computer to laptop isnt long enough to place our singers where we need in some establishments. Anyone know if there's an extension that we can use for it? Also, what does everyone else use for the singers monitor once they go digital?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Superstar wrote:We had the same problem. Our first night out with our new laptop when we connected to our TV, it never worked. After that we hooked up an old computer monitor and it worked immediately. Our only problem is the cord from computer to laptop isnt long enough to place our singers where we need in some establishments. Anyone know if there's an extension that we can use for it? Also, what does everyone else use for the singers monitor once they go digital?
I know there are extensions as I bought one about a year ago to work with my system.
One end has what plugs into the vga out of your laptop and the other end looks just like your vga out.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Also, what does everyone else use for the singers monitor once they go digital?
My advice would be to obtain an RF Modulator (converter) that has an S-Video input. This will allow you to connect to any standard TV with a coaxial cable. By utilizing a cable splitter you can easily connect to multiple TV's or tap into the cable system of an establishment. These modulators are available at your local RadioShack or other electronic supply store for around 30 dollars.
karyoker

Post by karyoker »

The newer laptops have a 7 pin s-video out and one of the pins has a composite video out and an adapter is availible.
example
This will adapt but before buying check the orientation of the pins.

The expensive little adapter at the shack is nothing more than a 25 cent 470 pf capacitor between pins 3 and 4 and all it does is run the burst (signal that syncs the color) back into the video. I have put the cap on many video boards esp after the s-video adapter went up in price. One thing to consider is the main video has to be terminated in 75 to 100 ohms in the receiver (modulator etc) for the dual video function in the cntrl panel setup to work..
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Take a look at an Avermedia IMicro unit. It has all of the outputs. S-video, RCA and extra computer monitor outs. It plugs into the monitor output of the laptop. Real sweet. Works fine feeding karaoke to my 42 TV.

Using this unit will save your s-video output plug on the laptop from becoming loose. The IMicro plug has screws (just like the monitor plug) to hold it in place.

It came higly recommended by a KJ, that is using a laptop to do his show.

I have not tried to use the RCA out to an RF modulator yet, but I'll let you know if it works.

Tried it, it works...
Shooter13

Post by Shooter13 »

Regarding extension cables, look on ebay for vga cables. I bought a 25 foot long one for $5 or so. I think max length you can go on a standard VGA terminal is 50 feetbut it has been a long time since I looked at that.