Newbies planing to setup home karaoke

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
cpmame

Newbies planing to setup home karaoke

Post by cpmame »

Hi all,
I have tried to sing karaoke out of the Onkyo 6.1 home threater system but the singing experience really sucks compared to those in karaoke club. I have a Pioneer DV585k-s dvd player with karaoke features (mic input, echo volume, mic volume and key control), hook up with the Onkyo TX-SR520 6.1 A/V amplifier and speakers set that come with it. The mic I have is Sony brand (gift from friend). When sing, I just can't get that kind of feel, and I have to adjust the mic volume song to song! So what else do I miss here?

I have contacted Vocopro, Audio2000, BMBKaraoke, Nissindo and Acekaraoke for advice. None of them really address my problem except Acekaraoke suggest me to get a mixer amplifier with speaker set here http://www.acekaraoke.com/package-specials.html (either the Vocopro VPS-1, VPS-4080, VPS-8050 package). I am not familiar with Vocopro product, but is that what I really need? Please advice.

Besides, someone told me to get a mixer (not mixer amplifier), speaker and a good mic since I already have the Onkyo amplifier. So what would you recommend?

Highly appreciate your help.
Thanks

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You'll probably never get the same sound you expect from the club systems without buying club system componants. That said if it is only for home use you don't have to go all out like that. If you can find te VocoPro da-1000 mixer you should be fine. You can probably find it cheaply on ebay.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The most important components for good sounding karaoke are the speakers. You will never achieve good sound from a surround sound speaker system. You must use PA speakers if you want decent sounding vocals. Connect a pair of API K-900 or RSQ SR-350 speakers to your system and you will come close to the "karaoke club" sound. While adding a mixer does offer some advantages it is not necessary to achieve good sound quality.
cpmame

Post by cpmame »

That's exactly the kind of info I wish for! Thanks folks! This forum rocks! I am gonna try upgrade the speaker first but if it is still lacking in quality, what should I go next then? Mic or mixer or mixer amp?

Thanks!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You didn't mention the power output of your Onkyo amplifier but if it puts out a total of 200 watts or more you should have no problem rocking your rec room. A karaoke mixer will simply give you a little more control over the sound of the mics and music and would be the last addition I would opt for. It doesn't hurt to use good quality microphones. You might think about picking up a good vocal mic like the ones found here.
cpmame

Post by cpmame »

Hi Wiseguy

My Onkyo HT-R520 has the following power output rating

All channels:130 W (8 Ohm, 20 Hz–20 kHz, FTC)
Dynamic power: 2 x 260 W (3 ohm, front)
2 x 200 W (4 ohm, front)
2 x 95 W (8 ohm, front)

Not sure if it means RMS or PEAK Power. The speaker set you recommend has 350W peak power, equivalent to 175W (RMS). So the amp won't be able to keep up with it then...?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It's not necessary to supply a speaker's peak power handling in order for it to produce good sound quality. Your amp should do a fairly good job. I suggest that you try the speakers before you consider investing in a more powerful amp.
cpmame

Post by cpmame »

Thanks alot wiseguy... will try the speaker first. Thanks again