Hi, I'm a noob - Need Help

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
meowCat

Hi, I'm a noob - Need Help

Post by meowCat »

I'm a noob..

I have no knowledge in Karaoke hardware and setups.

I'm trying to help with my parents to setup an audio system that will support Karaoke.

The *primary* use is going to be for audio listening(i.e. classical and some pop).
The *secondary* use is going to be Karaoke.

They want good quality sound, and do not need more than 200W output power.

Right now they have no speakers and no receivers...

I will be buying them a receiver and speakers. They will purchase the Karaoke equipment. I was planning to go with some Yamaha receiver, CD player, and Bose Acoutimass 5-series speakers(it's a stero, not surround).

My question is, is it better off to purchase a receiver that supports Karaoke function or get a Karaoke-dedicated receiver/mixer..

Also, can the Karaoke mixer be connected to a standard audio receiver? How does all this work? I don't know... help please..

Basically, they need something that's good mainly for audio and supports Karaoke. What are your recommendations?

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Welcome to the karaoke forum meowCat!

The "multi-format" karaoke players hook up to your receiver and TV just like a DVD player would. Pretty straight forward and uncomplicated. These players will play standard DVD discs, karaoke DVD discs, karaoke CD+G discs, as well as standard audio CDs. They have microphone inputs and controls on the front panel. Two popular, and inexpensive, models are the RSQ DVD-303DCK and the Vocostar DVG-399K.

The Bose Acoustimass 5 speakers are a home theater system with satellite speakers. Great for audio recordings but not good for karaoke. The PA (live vocals) of karaoke is much different than recorded music and requires heavy duty speakers to provide good sound quality. Of course the optimum speakers would be the PA type that are designed for karaoke although I don't think your parents would want these sitting in their living room. The next best option is to go with heavy duty "floor model" stereo speakers with at least 10" woofers and a power handling of at least 150 watts.

A karaoke mixer is not necessary in most situations. They basically just give you a little more control over sound adjustment.
meowCat

thanks!

Post by meowCat »

thanks! wiseguy

Thanks for the tips.. that was very very helpful.

So in that case I buy them a nice receiver and speakers.. Have them buy a Karaoke DVD player and Mic...

this is good.... since the karaoke DVD player plays DVDs and CDs, I don't need to buy a separate CD/DVD player... :o