.dat & cdg

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
calvinrocks

.dat & cdg

Post by calvinrocks »

what's the difference between .dat karaoke and karaoke cdg? is there a way to convert .dat to cdg so that i can use my cdg karaoke hosting software?

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: .dat & cdg

Post by wiseguy »

calvinrocks wrote:what's the difference between .dat karaoke and karaoke cdg? is there a way to convert .dat to cdg so that i can use my cdg karaoke hosting software?
The .dat files are found on VCD karaoke discs. This is a video format and cannot be converted to CDG (CDG is not a video format). You need a hosting software that will import and play DVD and VCD formats.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
calvinrocks

Post by calvinrocks »

just thinking about mp3+g. it is possble to rip the audio out of the .dat file and turn it into mp3. is there a way to convert the graphics portion of the .dat into the "+g"?

in anyway, i'm still confused. pardon my noobness, what is so special about cdg? what compression does cdg use for the graphics/video portion? why is it that it cannot be ripped, or why can't other video format be converted into cdg format?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

what compression does cdg use for the graphics/video portion? why is it that it cannot be ripped, or why can't other video format be converted into cdg format?
The lyrics and images of a CD+G track are stored in the normally unused "subchannel" portion of an audio track. This allows the adding of the lyrics and graphics without increasing the size of the audio track. CD+G tracks can only contain still images and text (lyrics). This is why you cannot convert video files to CD+G.

CD+G tracks can be ripped and encoded to the MP3+G format, which is simply a compressed version. CD+G tracks can also be converted to video formats with the right software.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I can import into my database on RoxBox vcd dat files.
Winamp will play dat files.
you just gotta add the dat extension to the list of video files that the program will play in the video renderer section.
To name the files you need mp3Toolz or cdgautoname and to change the extension tempororarily to bin. Once named you can change the extension back to dat.
www.Clubdjpro.com has software to convert DVD discs to VCD.
It is called VJRipper.
RoxBox seems to be the only one capable of entering the dat files into the database and have the songs come up in the search window.