Do you remove songs from your songbooks?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

Do you remove songs from your songbooks that you don't want people to sing at your shows?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 17

Marlena

Post by Marlena »

I never intended to say that I found what you found offensive trifling. It is in each persons mind what they find offensive. I didn't say I dismissed your opinion either. I'm only stating my opinion cause I have one.

Now as far as your questions wyndy I will answer them both.
"I asked in my prior post what harm would be done, in effect, to "play it safe" and exclude all vulgar material, even though I admit I enjoy some songs that others might consider to be vular?"

It's who draws the line and where that is the problem. Although I never intended to put as much in this post as I am about too. Simply because I just didn't have to time to go through my books. Where is your line, because no matter where you drew it, i can tell you, if you start editting your books for offensive material, what will be left is walt disney discs and Children's discs.

All I am saying is that if you impose society's norm on your customer's the line becomes blurred. Every Little band wagon group can Find offense with one song or another. Every Song can be miscontrude to fit your liking. Therefore if you are worried about Offending people Make sure you're also looking at the content of each song.

if your going to edit your books then I would hope you have none of the following songs in them. SO let's go over it then, shall we..

Trashy Women - Confederate railroad
Thunder Rolls - garth brooks
Gangsta Paradise - Coolio & L.V.
Trouble - Elvis presley
Gold Digger - K. West J. Fox
My humps - Black Eyed Peas
Hey Mama - Black Eyed Peas
She Bangs - Ricky Martin
Shake Your Bon Bon - Ricky Martin
Scar Tissue - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bluie - eiffel 65
Bed Of Roses - Bon Jovi
Who's Cheating Who - Charly McClain or Alan Jackson
Tear In My Beer - Hank WIlliams
Some Girls Do - Sawyer Brown
Like A Virgin - Madonna
Hell Is For The Children - Pat Benetar
Sex As A Weapon - Pat Benetar
Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
Black Or White - Michael Jackson
Strokin - Clarence Carter
Why don't we get drunk and screw - Jimmy Buffett
Cover of the Rolling Stone - Dr. Hook
I Shot The Sheriff - Eric Clapton
Hey Sexy Lady - Shaggy
bother - stone sour
girl all the bad guys want - bowling for soup
back door man - doors
push - matchbox 20
black and white people - matchbox 20
Rock Me Right - susan Tedeschi
Streak - Ray Stevens
Play That funky music - Wild Cherry
Faith - George Michael
Jerk - Kim Stockwood
Touch Me - samantha Fox
Mouth - Meridith Brooks
Shoop - Salt And Pepa
Cum on feel the noize - Quiet Riot
Du Hast - Rammstein
FOrtune Faded - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Figured You Out - Nickel back
Bad Touch - Blood hound gang
Stacy's Mom - Fountains of Wayne
New orleans is Sinking - Tragically Hip
Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
Let's Talk About sex - salt and Pepa
Brown Girl In The Ring - Boney M
Humpty Dance - Digital Undergound
Things That make you Go Hmm - C & C music Factory
I see you baby - amanda groove
The Pusher - stephen wolf
Turn Me On - Kevin Lyttle
Back Of The Club - Mashonda
COcaine - Eric CLapton
50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon
Hollaback Girl - Gwen Steffani
Switch - Will Smith
!!! Anything Eminem
Rock you like a hurricane - Scorpions
Magic Carpet ride - Stephenwolf
Joker - Steve miller band
Sex Farm - Spinal Tap
Walkin' TO New Orleans - fats domino
Jack & Diane - J.c. Mellencamp
88 Lines About 44 Women - Nail, The
pearl necklace - ZZ TOp
Hips DOn't Lie - Shakira
catch my disease - ben lee
Hate me - blue october
Roxy Roller
Marilyn Manson
Black Jesus - Everlast
Prince
K.D. Lang
Queer - Garbage
I touch Myself - the divinyls
Lips of an angel - hinder
Get stoned - Hinder
American Idiot - Greenday
Pretty Fly - offspring
why don't you get a job - offspring
your squaw is on the warpath - loretta lynn
Family tradition - Hank williams
harper valley PTA - Jeannie C. Riley
I'd Love To Lay You Down - Conway Twitty
Independence Day - Martina McBride
It wasn't me - Shaggy
Indian outlaw - tim Mcgraw
Iindian reservation - ??
Roxanne - Police

NOW your saying i'm going over board, but think of each song and it's content or the singer themselves. Some group Somewhere Has A Problem With each of these songs or singers. yet you play them! and even more so, it was only a 1/4 of my book i went through and it's more then the 30 or 40 songs you though tyou were excluding. You will let someone sing a song about:

promoting Dr*g use
Beating women & Children
murdering people
racial slurs towards all including blacks, indians and whites. Not to mention the other groups that i didn't mention in my above song list.
sexually explicided content
Objectifying women
Promoting violence
prostituion
Promoting cheating
Calling people names

BUT you won't allow F*ck, B*tch Or Sh*t in a song. Most of the songs i listed don't have profanity in them but yet they still convey their message and yet you still play them.

Now elvis presley, Conway twitty, jerry lee lewis, all banded from radios for content! but you play them? why? because society has now accepted their form of music and disregarded their lifestyles and or dancing and or their preformance. Be very careful as to who you are trying to please, Because each person has their preference and each person has things that offend them.

you also better start removing Songs with Peoples names in them, such as, run-around sue, lay down sally, 3 Marlenas. LOOK MY NAME. The song is about a prositute and it's got my name in it. I SHOULD BE OFFENDED.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, I'm saying be careful what you think is offensive and what others think are. Because 9/10 they differ. So go ahead Draw your line, but i'm not going to start because i don't know where to end!

Marlena

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What I find puzzling is the fact that you want to nit-pick songs that have no swear words at all, but you consider all the songs with major swearing OK?

And you have no problem playing these songs, anytime or anywhere.

What am I missing????

SWEARING UP A STORM IS OK, but no innuendos..... :o :lol:

Leave in all the songs that are not played on the radio unedited and have a free-for-all karaoke.

This shows your lack of respect for others that may not have your loose moral standards.

Do your kids sing those songs??? Do you let them listen to and buy, such crap???

The majority of adults do not swear in public and do not find it amusing, especially if there are older people around. This doesn't mean that they can't and don't want to have fun.

The majority of the jukeboxs and all of the free radio stations, play song versions that are edited. Nobody complains about it. Nobody quits listening. They still play the radio and jukebox everyday.

Your logic doesn't hold water. But it does hold hot air....
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Edited song books can offend no one. An unedited book has a chance to offend many. They may not tell you about it and you may never really know how many people you actually lost over time. But I can guarantee if the book is edited you will lose and offend, a lot less.

Why is it worth it???

I still don't see the joy or business advantage, in letting a bunch of supposedly mature adults, swear without boundries, amplified, in a public venue, in mixed company.

How does that make you better than your competition?

How does it help your public image?

Do you think other business people think of you as respectable?

Do you really think that you have a major business advantage by allowing anything-to-go?

I am very confident in my abilities to keep and entertain a full karaoke crowd, 5 nights a week, without the use of such material.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog,

Your stance has nothing to do with morality, it has only to do with words. You have no problem playing songs about committing sexual acts as long as it doesn't use certain words to describe them. You will play songs that condone drugs, infidelity, violence, and racism as long as the songs do not contain certain words. This is totally hypocritical. Your accusing someone else of having "loose moral standards" is laughable.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

ty wiseguy my point exactly.

Allowing song with "my humps, my lovely lady lumps" or "i shot the sheriff" or "my girl's in the next room, sometimes i wish she was you" is no better than playing a song with the lyric "my friend's got a girlfriend and he hates that B*itch, he tells me everyday"

This discussion has nothing to do with MY morality and has EVERYTHING to do with where do you draw your line and It's no better than a church book burning.

Marlena
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

Sexual healing, to my knowledge, hasn't caused a stir since it first appeared over 25 years ago.

I used the term "vulgar" to describe what I find to be offensive. "Vulgar" means rude, bad-mannered or tasteless. By definition, civilized society avoids such displays. For those who have questions about who should be the final arbiter, if anyone, regarding what's vulgar, why not let your grandmother come to your show at the bar and see what she thinks after you peppered the evening with vulgar words?

BUT MOST TELLING IS YOUR LAST POST:
[quote]BUT you won't allow F*ck, B*tch Or Sh*t in a song. Most of the songs i listed don't have profanity in them but yet they still convey their message and yet you still play them.

WHY DIDN'T YOU WRITE: f### BITCH AND SHIT? WE'RE ALL ADULTS HERE

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE:
The webmaster edited the previous line in my post because I spelled the "F word" out. So, Wiseguy, you agree with Marlena but won't even let me use the "F word" in an intellectual conversation? Very interesting!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Sexual healing, to my knowledge, hasn't caused a stir since it first appeared over 25 years ago.
People have been doing the Rodeo Song at my shows for years and it hasn't caused a stir either. So what's your point?
I used the term "vulgar" to describe what I find to be offensive. "Vulgar" means rude, bad-mannered or tasteless. By definition, civilized society avoids such displays. For those who have questions about who should be the final arbiter, if anyone, regarding what's vulgar, why not let your grandmother come to your show at the bar and see what she thinks after you peppered the evening with vulgar words?
Vulgar is in the ears and eyes of the beholder. You don't have the right to decide for everybody what is or isn't vulgar, and neither does my grandmother.
EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE:
The webmaster edited the previous line in my post because I spelled the "F word" out. So, Wiseguy, you agree with Marlena but won't even let me use the "F word" in an intellectual conversation? Very interesting!
I do not edit posts. Unlike my karaoke shows, this forum is open to people of all ages. There are swear filters in place here for the sake of any children that may read the posts.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

They don't have to write swear words here.... You can scream them at the top of your lungs at their shows...... :shock:

all night long..... :cry:

I have indeed removed most of the blatantly sexually suggestive and racial over tone songs. And all of the major swearing songs.

You on the other hand have removed nothing, so anything goes at your show.

I have and am at least trying to promote fun karaoke without all of the stuff that is OK at your show.

You, that don't edit anything from the book are promoting racial hatred, swearing and overt sexual activity. Letting everyone know that, hey.... It's OK with me.

Whatever you want to do is alright at my shows. Act and talk like animals.

I have no respect for you or anyone else at my shows. So hire me.

Unfettered swearing, racial insults, sex acts, sexual harrassment, cop killing, dope dealing and anything else you can think of as vulgar, can be done at my shows. It's so funny we do it every night. Who cares who's here... Let it fly......They even pay me for it tooo... Wooooo haaaa......

Just the one I want to hire.

Just remember, giving little Johnny a timeout everytime he does something wrong, will get him more time out ....in the big house.
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

While I can't stop the administrator from editing my posts, what critirea is used to selectively do so? Marlena self-edited the word "bitch" in her posting. When I spelled the word “bitch” out, there was no interference from the administrator. So, while Marlena sees a need to edit the word “bitch”, Wiseguy doesn’t.

I did not use the f-word in a gratuitous fashion - it was not spewed out as a profanity. It was used within the context of an intellectual discussion. That being the case, shouldn't I take exception to having my words edited and my freedom of speech, therefore, infringed upon?

The main point both here and in my last post was that the very people who are SUPRESSING UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR within this forum don’t want to do so at their karaoke shows! Why the double standard? And don’t you think that “f###” appearing in this forum is read the same way by the “children” as is the “f-word” spelled out?

Considering that only 6 people (35% of voters) voting in this poll agree with editing a song book and everyone you know, Wiseguy, is against it...
Well stated Marlena. Your sentiments echo those of myself and nearly every KJ I know (and believe me, there are many).
I am sure, therefore, that the "f-word” used herein will hardly affect the "average Joe" participating in this forum! And don’t you folks set standards by the “average Joe”?

Since you wonder where to start and stop editing a catalog and won’t use your grandmother for a guide, consider this. When I begin doing shows, my catalog will not contain:

- any song that has the f-word
- any song that portrays a graphic picture (not innuendo)
i.e. "will she go down on you at the movies?"

Just because one cannot determine just how far to go with editing, should not be used as an excuse for not doing any editing!!!

PS (In respone to Wiseguy) Marlena included Sexual Healing among songs that some might find objectionable. While it plays on the radio I've never heard the Rodeo Song on the public airwaves.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

While I can't stop the administrator from editing my posts, what critirea is used to selectively do so? Marlena self-edited the word "bitch" in her posting. When I spelled the word “bitch” out, there was no interference from the administrator. So, while Marlena sees a need to edit the word “bitch”, Wiseguy doesn’t.

I did not use the f-word in a gratuitous fashion - it was not spewed out as a profanity. It was used within the context of an intellectual discussion. That being the case, shouldn't I take exception to having my words edited and my freedom of speech, therefore, infringed upon?
What part of my previous statement did you not understand?
"I do not edit posts. Unlike my karaoke shows, this forum is open to people of all ages. There are swear filters in place here for the sake of any children that may read the posts."

The word "bitch" in itself is not a swear word and is not altered by the swear word filter.
The main point both here and in my last post was that the very people who are SUPRESSING UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR within this forum don’t want to do so at their karaoke shows! Why the double standard?
Again, why can't you grasp the concept that this forum is open to people of ALL AGES and that my karaoke shows are for ADULTS. No double standards but completely different situations.
And don’t you think that “f###” appearing in this forum is read the same way by the “children” as is the “f-word” spelled out?
I certainly do not unless the child is used to reading words like this.
Considering that only 6 people (35% of voters) voting in this poll agree with editing a song book and everyone you know, Wiseguy, is against it...
And if you look at the reasons that the other KJ's remove songs from their books (Bigdog excluded) you will see that it has nothing to do with explicit content. They simply removed songs that they didn't like to here. Also wrong in my opinion.
Since you wonder where to start and stop editing a catalog and won’t use your grandmother for a guide, consider this. When I begin doing shows, my catalog will not contain:

- any song that has the f-word
- any song that portrays a graphic picture (not innuendo)
i.e. "will she go down on you at the movies?"
If I'm not going to listen to my grandmother, why in the hell would I listen to you?
PS (In respone to Wiseguy) Marlena included Sexual Healing among songs that some might find objectionable. While it plays on the radio I've never heard the Rodeo Song on the public airwaves.
We don't broadcast our karaoke shows on the public airwaves. We broadcast in a venue where only adults are present.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have not had an answer to my questions about how this helps a karaoke or any other type, business reputation.

Just because alcohol is involved that makes it OK????

No wonder we're going down the tubes.....

The public norm should be in effect "everywhere" in Public. Not just places that serve alcohol. It's like it's a haven for unacceptable anything goes behavior.

Screw everyone we're drinking....

I don't care what you think....I'm drinking....

To bad Granny....I'm drinking...

Cop killing...I'm drinking...

Racial slurs....I';m drinking...

Overt sexual conduct...So what???? I'm drinking....and karaoke-ing

Up yours... give me the microphone...
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

Whether passive or active, Wiseguy caused the programming that created the (editing) filter that exists on this site. WHAT PART OF EDITING DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND, WISEGUY?

While "bitch" may not be a swear word to you, many take offense to it. Marlena, who proclaims there should be no editing at karaoke shows self-edited three words in her last post, including "bitch" and "shit". HOW COME?

Now while it maybe true that "people of all ages" view this website, I think using a four-letter word in an intellectual discussion is a lot different than the vulgarities you're willing to accept at a karaoke show. My language in this forum was not intended to shock, abuse, or titillate anyone. It wasn't even used to punctuate a point.

But my language is unacceptable on this forum. So, there ARE accepted standards of civility on this forum, and they are CONTROLLED BY WISEGUY

BUT there are NO standards of civility at a karaoke show RUN BY WISEGUY

Now in my world, kids attend karaoke, even at bars. I frequented a karaoke show last Thursday. It was at a sports bar and there were ten kids present, all of whom sung.

I asked a KJ friend of mine (today) if he edits his catalog. He admitted that he is not familiar enough with what songs in his catalog are vulgar. But he turns the mike off, even at all adult venues, when a song ends up being vulgar.

One show that I attend has a large (11x14) sign posted that prohibits profanity. That's in a bar where I have never seen children.

And, in consideration of my last example, it would seem to me if anyone should be the final arbiter of what is unacceptable at karaoke, it should be the owner of the venue and not the KJ.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

yup wiseguy i do remove songs that i don't like, the rose is one in particular. mostly because i haven't really found a version i like to play. So when i answered the poll i did say i remove songs. because the original topic was.. do you remove songs from your song book, and why. and in the beginning it was about songs we just don't like or bring the crowd down. GETTING back to the ORIGINAL subject!

Therefore although i will remove a song because of sound problems or version problems it is misunderstood to think that those who do REMOVE songs, are removing them for vulgar content.

Yes I am smart enough to know that children have access to this site on a daily basis and therefore what i won't say around my own kids in their home, i will not say here.

BUT again the 18 + rule does apply to the bars.

Marlena
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wyndy,
In my area, only the local seedy establishments, you call it sailor bars while I call it Biker bars, want karaoke so I need not bother weeding out my books. Costs too much money to create my one set of books as it is. In my area there are too many $50 to $75 kjs to make it worth while to keep more than one set of books. I do do private gigs but they are so few and far between that it is just easier for me to say to the people handing in offensive songs that the management doesn't want any foul language at this event. I have yet to get any flack for taking this approach.
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

Wiseguy

1) My reference to the 6 votes in favor of editing a song book along with my reference to your statement that everyone you know is against censoring singers, were made to support my conclusion that the "average joe" visiting this web site would not be offended by the posting I made (which you edited)

2) My reference to Sexual Healing was a made to offer a different opinion from Marlena's. She feels that this Marving Gaye song, along with many others, should be deleted from any song book that excludes vulgar songs.

3) Clearly, I don't care if you value your grandmother's opinion or mine opinion regarding self-censorship. In my last post, I simply wanted to state that if, unlike Marlena, you believe there is a problem, there are things that can be done to fix it. Don't make excuses such as this:
I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, I'm saying be careful what you think is offensive and what others think are. Because 9/10 they differ. So go ahead Draw your line, but i'm not going to start because i don't know where to end!
4) And, if you really understand my posts with its myriad innuendos, it is I who truly favors considering the sensibilities of "people of ALL ages"