Karaoke Song list order

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Naomi

Karaoke Song list order

Post by Naomi »

Dear Wise Guy,

I have not been able to decide what method to use when I 'm putting songs in my books. I have all songs listed by artist and the back section is the list by song title. My problem is all the groups that start with THE ****
To keep it consistant should I drop all "THE ******" and just put in the name ( Judds)? Instead of The Judds.
I know it's probably a stupid question, but I bet you have the best method.

Thank you,
Naomi

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I have mine listed with the the in it but as Judds, The so it sorts them in the J's. MOst people are going to look for it in the J's
With a solo artist's name I go by the last name first I.E. Brooks, Garth as again the B's is where most are going to look for them.
If they don't see the artist where they expect it then they assume you don't have it.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

Dan,

Thank you for your help, I may have to redo my book before it gets too big. I am adding new songs every week and I keep trying to make it easy for everyone, even the ones that are drunk & can't understand directions.

Thanks
Naomi
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I only list the song titles in my song books. With over 17,000 unique songs the books would simply be to large if I added an artist section. I have a separate artist book created that I allow people to look at upon request. The vast majority of people look for a song by title anyway.

Like DanG2006, I also label song titles that start with "the" in the format of "Song Name, The". I do the same with song titles that start with "A". Artist names are also listed by last name first.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Most of the time I get "Do you have any (insert artist name here)?" which is why I list by artist rather than by title. But I'm going away from having to do books anyway as I'm getting a new laptop for running the shows and am going to use my original main system as my song request station. should allow me with enough bus speed to enable the searches not to freeze on me. My old laptop was too slow for using as a song request station. You definately get what you pay for when it comes to equipment. I do believe there are exeptions to that rule in software. I prefer the winamp baseed frontends (or back ends as I am starting to use AutoKDJ as they are making a build to work alongside a different keychanger plugin that seems to work alot smoother than pacemaker). May still purchase an old slower (800 mhz running xp home) computer for those who want to browse before deciding what they want to sing. Although since my new laptop has wireless capability maybe I'll add a wireless router and hook both up
elksld

Post by elksld »

Naomi,

Putting "The" behind the song name also allows the songs to be put in aplhabetical also, i.e., Tracks Of My Tears, The. If you don't do this, you have a large "T" section and it makes some songs hard to find...
elksld

Post by elksld »

Naomi,

I forgot to add another thing I do. With duets, I list the primary singer of the duet by last name, i.e., Medley, Bill & Jennifer Warnes and as you see, the other singer by first name first. You could also reverse it and list the song twice, though this increases the length of your song list.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

well decided to wait on getting a new laptop as I would rather get a car first.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Judds, The (Ex. Artist)

Way It Is, The (Ex. Song)

Duets - Medley, Bill & Jennifer Warnes( Ex. DUET)

Every song comes up under duets alphabetically this way.

I have to add the word duet in front of all of them.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

I don't use a "song book creator", i created a wonderful spread sheet for myself. BUT again i am having a simuliar problem this week. It's time to redo the dreaded books. Once a Year i redo all of my books So that i don't have the Bulky new Section, you know the one. You go to another karaoke host and they have added 80 new disks and you got 80 pages of 1 disc per page to go through trying to find what your looking for.

My spread sheet is like this and i love it.

Song Title - Disk # - Artist - Duet (yes or no) - Genre - Notes To Self

I love it. then i can print any which way i want. wether i want to print all my duets or rock or Books by song title or Artist or For my insurance by disk number.

BUT now my problem is! because i have in the past done books by song title and then some by artist (10 of each). My books no longer fit into 3 inch binders, and if you go bigger the easier they break.

So i'm wondering, should i go with 32 binders (4 categories - 1) country by song title 2) alt-rock-blues-oldies by song title 3) by artists country and 4) by artists rock-alt-blues-oldies

I find all my books get used the same amount, wether it be by artist or song title. Any suggestions?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I use what I call "Customer" books 10 that are listed by one song version by artist. I have one customer book listed by song. I have two "master" books, one of each that have every version.
I use KJ Pro and I love it.

I had to get new 2" binders because the old ones are too thin.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Yeah i don't have repeats in my book either for customers, i take the best version and go with that, but still 3 inch binders aren't going to cut it. So i guess 40 books a night, might be my only answer.

Oh another question, i had a customer complain the other night that i had elvis in the rock-alt-oldies-pop books, that he should be in the country book. am i wrong to have in the "anything else" book or what?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I don't know if 14 different books are needed. That's the problem with all of the crossover music/artists. I did make an all oldies book. I deleted everything after mid 1985. I wanted to keep it at least 20 years back.
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

I've established and then changed the conventions I use for creating my catalog more times than I'd like to remember. I do have catalogs both by Title and by Artist. If you have the software to do this, I recommend you prepare, in addition to anything else you may have, a master catalog sorted by Disc, then track #, then by either title or artist.

Please note that it is much harder to create conventions for the catalog by Artist than it is for the catalog by Title. And I alway input a new track to my Artist catalog first to make sure that the conventions continue to work for me!

CONVENTIONS

a) "The" in the front of a performer's/group's name is always omitted
b) "The" in the front of a song title always appears in front of the title
c) The Artists catalog is sorted by the artist's first name
d) Commas and most punctuation is (almost) always left out of a listing
e) Duets, in the Artist catalog is listed and sorted first under "Duet/"
f) Show tunes and songs from movies have "Bdway/Hlywd" as the Artist
g) Standards, unless uniquely associated with a particular artist, are listed in the Artist's field as "Standard" (regardless of the artist shown on the CDG or sleeve). So.... "The Lady Is A Tramp" is associated with Frank Sinatra; while "Fly Me To The Moon" is listed as "Standard".

I would be happy to explain why these conventions were chosen if anyone is interested. Trial and error was at the heart of the process.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Some really great ideas there wyndy thanks :)