HELP PLEASE (new member) what I need to get started

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Diane

HELP PLEASE (new member) what I need to get started

Post by Diane »

:mrgreen: Thats me! totally GREEN - lol
Would like to know what it takes based on what I have to get karaoke system going (on a shoe string for starters)
Prefacing what I have: my husband and I have a band and play at gigs as a foursome. husband:bass , drummer, guitarist, and myself as vocal backup. Am interested myself with help from my dgtr to assist doing weekday karaoke at local bars
We have about $20K in gear of which I personally dont know much about. Randy, my husband/bass player is in charge of the gear.
Do know we have enough new gear to play a club of 1000 approx as well as smaller units to do small clubs. Have four or five standing mics, etc etc.
I have two keyboards which I have fiddled with little yet can play piano with sheet music. Just bought a dell latitude d800 laptop used.
What I need in my pea brain is an idea of what I need to have in understandable newbie terms. I would imagine a monitor and software program for laptop...<< songs, songbook, etc <<which for right now is not top priority for my first post to know.
Any direction would be very appreciated. THANKS Diane

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If you have a good PA system you are half way there. The karaoke music is the major investment.

My PA system contains a mixer, effects, compressor, EQ, 2 (players) machines, amp and 4 speakers. (2 tops and 2 subs.) 3 cordless microphones. 1 announcing microphone. Almost 1000 discs. I use a 4" personal TV monitor to make sure the songs are coming up right.

I have a 100 ft. coax cable reel to use for the bar TV hookup.

You will need an RF modulator to change the RCA/S-video signal (from machines or laptop to coax. (cable TV cable) And an RF amplifier to boost the TV signal for multiple bar TVs.

I use KJ Pro to write my song books. My laptop will use Sax & Dottys hoster program. There are many different hoster and song book programs. Find one you feel comfortable using.

Make sure your laptop has (Extended desk top or duel monitor capability) Look in the display folder to see if you have it. You need this to get the words on the bar TV while you use your laptop screen to program the songs for playing.

Learning how to mix the live vocals with the canned music will take some practice and a good ear.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Diane

Post by Diane »

Will be searching EBay eventually to find what I need so the proper names for items to do a search and find is important...and I am not savy about all so forgive dumb questions...after reading your post. I will search Ebay now for what you have mentioned.

<< I use a 4" personal TV monitor to make sure the songs are coming up right. I have a 100 ft. coax cable reel to use for the bar TV hookup. >>
SO i take it you use TWO monitors..one for you by your laptop and one for the singers? FOUR INCH tv monitor for yourself? Seems teensy. Is that what it is exactly called? And what kinds of monitors specifically would you recommend for the Singers?

have many mics but no cordless. Can you recommend a brand/type that you have had success with?

<<Make sure your laptop has (Extended desk top or duel monitor capability) Look in the display folder to see if you have it. You need this to get the words on the bar TV while you use your laptop screen to program the songs for playing. >>
Have not looked at the laptop I just got...however if it does NOT have what you mention, can it be added to my laptop?

<<Learning how to mix the live vocals with the canned music will take some practice and a good ear.>> Not quite understanding what you mean by "mixing". Hoping my husband does.

Is there a website that has karoake song sharing? Or one that is least expensive online?

Our 3 piece band band is playing at a small club tonight in a rural area with low budget..This is a reopened club w/new owners They have no karaoke and would love to get them lined up to have us for karaoke one night a week.,,,to begin in a month. Our band is playing tonight for $300 which is a low amt for us but took it for one night since the club is very local, had no other bookings for tonight, good practice and owners will pay more if crowd builds. Gives us work if we have an off night here and there. However getting back to KARAOKE I have NO clue how much I should say we would charge for a Thursday night?? Thinking $100-$125.

THANKS much!!!!. Diane
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The video card determines if you have extended desktop capability. Talk to a geek and ask them to look. If it doesn't have it, you may have to get a different laptop or get the video card changed.

I still use players but the computer is coming soon. I use the mini TV as my personal monitor so I can sing behind the table and to see that the right songs are coming up.

The coax cable is to hook up to the bar TVs. I run it from my players to the TV. You need a RF modulator to convert the signal from the laptop to the coax for the TVs.

I do not use a stage so my singers can sing from anywhere in the bar. So They use the bar TVs to sing.

Mixing the music and vocal volumes together to sound right. Adding the right amount of reverb to the singer.

I pay $600 for my microphones. Not many people want to go that much.

When ever you start selling yourself you need to have a fair figure for you. Check out the other KJ prices and set your price.

Remember this.... bar owners never want to pay you more money. You must make sure you give them the price you want up front. I give a 4 week price break to start with. After that I expect full money. If it's crappy I may give them a break. I don't feel I should because most of the time it's not my fault people don't come. I do it because I know I'll make it up down the road. Most of the time the bar owners don't advertise they have it. People are not psychic, they need to see it on the sign.

Your price will depend on how good you are and how much competition you have and how much business the club can do. I get $175 for 4 hours, every/any night. I am starting a new job for $200 for 3 1/2 hours. It's a first. But it's an up scale neighborhood. I should easily get $300 a night but the unemployable competition has brought the price down. They suck, so the only way to get work is to undercut everyone. You'll run in to them....
Diane

Post by Diane »

Ah I gotcha now on the reverb. I have seen my husband working on that during sound checks before our shows.
YES I can see the high competition. So many clubs small and large have gone to karaoke. It's less costly than a band.
I can imagine most club owners do not appreciate cost wise for one.. in all that it takes in gear, CDGs, programs etc for KJs. and the high competition makes it worse.
I have booked gigs for our band personally thru owners direct as well as via our agent and am savy to the club owners mentality. One small club owner who paid our band first coming out...consistently a certain amount...booked us for one night again....and it was one of those nights where but a couple of people were there (beach season was came into bloom in Myrtle Bch an hour away) and at end of night he handed my husband $60 saying it was the best he could do. Hahaha jerk he is as he often would try this tactic. I told him to go tell his barmaids and any other help they couldnt get paid and see what happens. NO DICE. That's life. Just one example. I prefer contracts if at all possible. It eliminates hassles from the get go. And can see why with Karaoke it would be a good thing to get these owmers on dotted line for at least a month. A chance for the club and the KJ to build a crowd.
Starting out sight on seen without CD/promo pack, we would give club owners a one time special price to get in...however a min for each member that they could live with but to go by only what an owner wants to give is often as cheap as can be. A good band has a better chance at pricing if a club owner wants live bands consistently as often these bands break up, flaky or arent very good.
Hmmmmm wondering if starting out in a small club trying to get in with undercutting competition etc, if asking audience singers to throw in a buck each time they sing...in addition to what the owner pays for just that night or? would that be a TABOO?? "hey guys, tonight toss in a buck, gotta buy milk for my 12 kids and guadtruplets starving at home "
Thanks for your kind info again. Diane
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Oh i see this thread getting so big. HUGE no no Diane. Do NOT undercut other competitors in your area. with that said, Giving the bar a deal for 3 months for a trail run because you are new to karaoke and the bar hasn't had it for a while yes. This all really depends on music selection as far as pricing goes. I really wouldn't start doing a show unless you have at least 3000 songs, exspecially when there are others in the area doing it, who have more songs and more experience. If you have 3000 songs and are ready to go. i think a far price for a trail run is 230.00 a night US and after 3 months 300.00 a night US. Approaching singers to put in cash is also a big no no. why pay you to sing when they can go somewhere else and sing for free? If yu could even convince your singers to fit the bill, then i suggest you make sure every penny goes into buying new music and song material or they will get angry.

There is a girl where i live, has 7500 songs and has undercut the other 6 karaoke hosts in the area. (She charges $50.00 a night). Totally ridiculous. You need to charge what you are worth. That woman has a very bad reputation now and doesn't get any contracts from the rest of us recommending her. on the other hand the other 6 hosts in this area all refer bars and gigs to each other when 1 can't do it. Also another karaoke company in this area tried the "throw in a buck" thing and they lost their business because they took their profits from their show and went on a cruise. Be very careful you don't want the other hosts in your area bad mouthing you and you don't want to piss off clients before you even have them.

So here is my suggestion in full:
1) A 3 month deal letting the club know that the night the 3 months run out you are rasing it to full price.
2) a understanding between you and the club that either party can cancel with 2 weeks notice.
3) Don't ask clients to throw in money
4) make sure you have a good music selection
5) Introduce yourself to the other hosts in your area. Let them know you aren't thinking of taking their contracts from them and that you aren't a threat. Give them your number and info so they can call you if something comes up that they can't do themselves. Support all the hosts in your area. Don't go to other people's shows to advertise your own.

All this will help build your reputation in a way you want it to start out.

Wiseguy? agree?

Marlena
Diane

Post by Diane »

Understand and well advised.
Ooops Got confused, I thought one HAD to undercut to get biz. Sure don't like the dog eat dog tactics either. And $50 gal...wow...she might be getting jobs for herself but what a way to make enemies while working for nothing.
3,000 songs has to cost a boodle...tho I can appreciate the value of have a great selection. I have no clue what CDGs cost each.
Diane
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Diane i made a post somewhere else but i'll repost so you get it.

IF i had to start over here is what i would do for music.

I suggestion Best selection for limited cash.

Madacy Disks - purchase at walmart or k-mart or the states equilevent. Great song selections, cheap good graphics and good music. they are around $10.00 a disc in the states and come with 7 to 15 songs per discs depending which ones you buy.

EBay - again buyer beware hon, only buy brand new and watch who your buying through.

Karaoke outlets - look in their bargain bin but watch which brand your buying. I like in this order:
1) sound choice - Music Meastro - Zoom (all about same quality)
2) Madacy
3) Top hits
4) Chartbuster
5) Legends
6) Backstage

Trader - in your area you should ahve a trader magazine where people take out ads for things they want to get rid of. there is probably a whack of discs you can get in there for next to nothing. These people normally will let you go through the discs to select the ones you want and preview them to make sure they don't skip or are damaged. if NOT something is fishy. Make sure these discs are all originals and nothing is burned or copied those would be pirated.

I'd say you could probably get about 3000 songs for about $1000.00 US. times are changing and discs are not as pricey as when i started out.

Marlena
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Marlena,
THANKS for this VERY informative post

<<suggestion Best selection for limited cash.

EBay - again buyer beware hon, only buy brand new and watch who your buying through. >>
Personally have been a seller on Ebay for 13 yrs and not that trusting of other sellers - I buy very seldom but when I do.. I Look with caution. So your thoughts, I concur with.

<<Karaoke outlets - look in their bargain bin but watch which brand your buying>>
Oh gosh never have seen a karaoke outlet store.

Trader? You speaking of newspaper types that are free at certain places like convenience stores soley with ads - lots of yard sales and other categories? or is this strictly some kind of special trade magazine which I have never come across?

<<I'd say you could probably get about 3000 songs for about $1000.00 US. times are changing and discs are not as pricey as when i started out. >>

No too bad.
Like with everything else...prices eventually start reduce

LAPTOP
I have to get mine out and see about its sound card. SOMEWHERE I read something about needing TWO sound cards. One night I have to figure this all out and get the overall idea of how it all works together.

KJ GIGS:
My husband in talking to me .. said regarding our 4 piece band...that I can't make commitments which would interfer with our future bookings of the band. Band agent can call at any time with a job for a week somewhere or four days or just a weekend....we have to be ready and willing to accept..as the band comes first...and I agree as that is our main meat..however I still don't want to discount the karaoke possibilities. These small bars in rural towns I have an idea can be more flexible and could also once set up....be possibly available should a club have their karaoke KJ cancel out on them. Its still worth my time to get it together amidst our own band concerns, etc.

Diane
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I don't know how receptive bar owners will be, when they count on you to be there and you keep canceling for other commitments. They count on that big money night. So does the karaoke crowd. Being undependable will hurt you. I would say don't commit to anything you feel you will be unable to keep.

I can think of nothing that would hurt you more, than being labeled "undependable."

Who would you call first????? Unless you were so cheap, it wouldn't matter to the bar owner.

Hit and miss karaoke nights won't work to well. People need to see consistancy.
Diane

hit and miss

Post by Diane »

I did not mean to imply that I would cancel any show. That is a big whoppin NO NO. Our band has never done so and I would never want to ever either as a KJ. We have gone thru one catastrophe en route to an out of state gig and by only a unrelenting strong drive pulling off a miracle despite all.. made it to the club.
If it would be a negative reflected upon myself, I would not get into something. I was only thinking of this one restaurant/bar out in the sticks that has nothing in form of entertainment and plans nothing on a permanent basis but might when suggested think of KJ on some special occasion and I know I am absolutely clear for that date. OR taking on a last minute cancellation of another KJ for some other clubs where I am able to come in. Just twirling some thoughts in my brain.
Diane
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The money commitment you will need for music is going to make or break you.

You need to be committed to being a KJ. Just having the stuff means nothing. It should not be looked at as something to play with to make a little money once in a while.

These type of KJs never last.

You should have as much passion for karaoke as you do the band. And then it will require that kind of time investment too. Spending all the omeny on music too end up not having jobs will be painfull.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Marlena wrote:Diane i made a post somewhere else but i'll repost so you get it.

IF i had to start over here is what i would do for music.

I suggestion Best selection for limited cash.

Madacy Disks - purchase at walmart or k-mart or the states equilevent. Great song selections, cheap good graphics and good music. they are around $10.00 a disc in the states and come with 7 to 15 songs per discs depending which ones you buy.

EBay - again buyer beware hon, only buy brand new and watch who your buying through.

Karaoke outlets - look in their bargain bin but watch which brand your buying. I like in this order:
1) sound choice - Music Meastro - Zoom (all about same quality)
2) Madacy
3) Top hits
4) Chartbuster
5) Legends
6) Backstage

Trader - in your area you should ahve a trader magazine where people take out ads for things they want to get rid of. there is probably a whack of discs you can get in there for next to nothing. These people normally will let you go through the discs to select the ones you want and preview them to make sure they don't skip or are damaged. if NOT something is fishy. Make sure these discs are all originals and nothing is burned or copied those would be pirated.

I'd say you could probably get about 3000 songs for about $1000.00 US. times are changing and discs are not as pricey as when i started out.

Marlena
While I will agree that Sound CHoice and Zoom are comparable quality, no way is MUsic Maestro even close to their quality they are belkow the quality of madacy and backstage whioch are the worst of the worst with only Nutech being worse that them all.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

no dan hon.. come on.. sweet georgia brown is the absolute worst!