Some advice for a karaoke home system

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
xquisite

Some advice for a karaoke home system

Post by xquisite »

First off, I want to say I really enjoy this site and it has brought great insights on many things for me about karaoke. Thanks to all with your experience and expertise on the topic.

Now for my scenario... I'm want to set up a home karaoke system for my folks who tend to enjoy singing with their friends and like to host weekly get-togethers. I need a system that sounds decent (so they can look good in front of their friends) but would not break my budget ($600-700). They have an Onkyo 7.1 home receiver. My questions are....

1. Your recommendation on whether to buy a mixer to attach to the receiver or a stand alone mixer/amp unit. Which would sound better? Any special brand to recommend?.... BMB, Vocopro, Nissindo, Audio2000, Idolpro

2. Your recommendation on speakers... BMB cs450/500, JBL RM10, Idolpro, Vocopro or something else that you've had good experience with.

3. I'm also looking for a wireless mic. I've read on this site that hisonic was decent by some. Of course I can't afford to shell out the bucks for shure so any other brand would you recommend that sounds good since I might need it when I visit them... nady, vocopro, idolpro, etc?

4. Lastly, it's regarding the karaoke format. I understand that the traditional CDG format is ideal but my folks enjoy singing with some pictures or video in the background. I know that vcd or dvd will produce this but there are limited songs in each disc and it makes it difficult to change out all the time. I've seen some players that has video but plays midi discs with thousands of songs listed and their product indicate 60 min of dvd video (e.g cavs HDV-201, muvies tds-5000, pro-star dmd-838). I think this will suit my folks since they only need 1 disc but how is this possible since my understanding is only dvd or vcd produces video. What about a player that has background picture with words like the magic mic? Any idea or recommendation on which type of player to accomplish this but not give up so much of the sound quality?

Thanks in advance for your insights. Looking forward to your recommendations.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Check out something like this. (link below) I know it's a liitle more than you're talking about spending but if you buy the right thing the first time then you won't have to buy it again. I'm a Yamaha guy. I have used Yamaha speakers the last 14 years, in 3 different systems. Never had a problem. At a later date you may want to consider adding a powered sub to give you more bass response. It will make the sound a lot fuller. Listen to systems with and without subs. You'll know what I'm talking about after you hear the difference.

I am not familiar with the cheaper cordless microphones. I pay $600 for mine. But that's me. There is a difference in sound. You need to go to an actual music store and listen to different systems and microphones. Reverb is a nice vocal effect to use. It smooths out the vocals and makes them sound very professional. Listen to vocals with and without reverb.

Consider this about the discs that have thousands of songs on them. If you scratch that disc just 1/4 of an inch long, you wiped out 200-300 songs or more.

I would only use them if I had a burner and could make copies to use and leave the original disc on the shelf.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=480938
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Personally speaking, I shy away from any karaoke that has videos as they distract me from the lyrics. That is why I like CD+G or MP3+G formats the best. I agree with bigdog that you are running a risk of losing more songs by having a disc with more than 100 songs on the disc.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My first set of discs were the Pioneer Laser discs. I used them because not very many people were. Each song has a video that mimics the plot of the song. The first versions sold for $110 each for 28 songs. They made over 80 of that series. Do the math.

I am converting them to a hard drive so I can use them with my new laptops. The Pioneer music is tops compared with most other companies. They are my first choice musically to play.

They stopped producion of them almost 8-10 years ago. So today having the videos will give me a bit of an edge again. The videos are mini movies and they spared no expense with the movie and the music.

Do a test and compare these results for yourself.

Play a scary karaoke song, one without the words on the screen. Listen to how loud the crowd gets, because there is nothing to watch on the TV.

WE are a TV society.

Next play a CD+G disc and listen to the crowd noise. It drops, because there is something to see on the TV

Now play a song with a video and the crowd noise drops even lower. Seen it hundreds of times. Playing the video gets their attention for the entire song. The singers appreciate the crowd noise level dropping.

So for my money I will, for two reasons always play the Pioneer video songs before choosing a CD+G.

1. The musical quality and,
2. the videos.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Aside from "live to tell", "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Traveling Band" all of pioneer's videos are lame and have nothing to do with the songs they are with.
That said they even give the wrong artist for the versions that have multiple artists that have recorded them. I've yet to meet a cdg that has made that mistake. For example "You've Got A Friend" is the Carole King version not the James Taylor one that Pioneer lists it as on the jacket.
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

xquisite

The 500watt Yamaha system recommended by Big Dog looks good; I really like it!

HOWEVER, for a home system I recommend the 150watt Fender Passport, particularly the PD series. They're a great value. They sound great and you'll never need more wattage.

Three KJ's in my area have Passport systems. One owns three Passport units: a 150watt unit, a 250watt unit and a 500watt unit. He uses the 250watt unit 99% of the time and swears by it. I've heard them and they rock!

The only drawback, in the opinion of one of them, is that the control knobs take awhile to get used to; there not sliders. Neither, however, are the controls on the Yamaha

Best of luck with your decision.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I wouldn't use a any of the Passport systems to play at Barbie's Dream house.

They might be fine for a livingroom.

Real KJs use a PA system with balls...
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

Bigdog

Real KJ's will avoid debates with you because the casual observer will be unable to determine who is the REAL KJ and who is the FOOL
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote: Real KJs use a PA system with balls...
xquisite, the originator of this thread, is not looking to build a professional karaoke system. He is looking to put together a home system for his parents. Therefore your comment is redundant.

To xquisite,
Allow me offer an alternative suggestion. Most people who build a home karaoke system will sooner or later wish that they had made it more easily portable. Something that can be set up on the patio for outdoor events or for taking parties and family gatherings. To this end you might consider an "all-in-one" karaoke system. The Audio 2000 Singer's Power I and the Vocopro Gig-Master are nice units and quite adequate for small gatherings. For a little more money, the VocoProTwister II is a very nice system. All of these have provisions for adding remote speakers if the need arises.

You will want to go with the karaoke CDG format as it offers many more song titles than any other format. Video karaoke is not worth a damn in my opinion, the video background are distracting to the singer and usually have nothing to do with the theme of the song.

Wireless microphones are not really a necessity for a home system like they are for the professional. They are nice to have but your money may be better spent on quality wired mics.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I happen to agree with wiseguy on this one. for a home system, it's not worth spending the time and money going computer or even with a professional system, although wiseguy's suggestions comes as close to that as you can get. 300 watts is plenty of power for a home situation.
Also wiseguy, this is not the first forum bigdog has stuck his "if you don't do it his way, you will go out of business" attitude.
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

The PD150watt Fender can be had for under $400. You would need speaker stands (no more than $100 for a pair). The total unit weighs way under 30#'s. It comes with a mic. The speakers can be positioned wherever you want. And if you're really thinking of taking your equipment outdoors, the Fender offers an optional battery pack!
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Read it again. They host weekly karaoke parties and they want to sound good. And maybe impress their friends. There is nothing impressive with a Passport system. It didn't say they want to sound crappy.

So if you think it's "good enough" for karaoke, Who am I to argue????

That is the biggest problem with the entire karaoke scene. Everyone thinks because they see something being sold as a karaoke system, it must be good. If they are not experienced or have limited knowledge they can be fooled in to buying crap. Only to find out later that what they bought can not and will not do what they thought it would.

Yamaha good investment, Passport you take a chance. It's your money...

The Yamaha system will never have to be upgraded. Even if they add a sub later on. The Passport will only be garbage, sooner that later. Is it upgradeable? Can you add a sub?....JUST MY WORTHLESS OPINION AS A WORKING KJ FOR 14 years..
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

WYNDY, let me know when you have $10,000 invested in your PA system. Not counting the music...

Let me know when you have made over $700,000 doing karaoke.

Let me know if you last 14 years.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

BigDog,
I highly doubt they want to spend as much as you are suggesting and they really don't need the kind of equipment you want to push them towards. like wiseguy says they are not proffesionals. They were looking for home equipment that they could take out to a patio.
I also think that since they aren't professionals that they want something easy to operate. Wiseguy's suggestions fit that criteria.
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

Bigdog

Even though I am not a KJ I too am too smart to debate with you