Business Plan Software for KJ Business

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Black_Mamba

Post by Black_Mamba »

I think success is a combination of all these things, to a point.

There is a KJ close to here that has constant work. Not because he is a great singer, has personality or great gear, but simply because there is very little competition in the area. His gear is very sub-standard and he knows next to nothing about music in general but he gets the work! So, competition is a factor in success.

When I played in bands we had crappy equipment that used to break down all the time. We took a toolbox with us to gigs because we knew we'd have to fix something before we started! Work still came to us because we were a great band, but I think we could have been even better with good gear. Nowdays, I have heaps of top equipment and an even better sound. We still get as many gigs as I used to in the band, but I feel a lot happier playing through good gear.

Also, I get far more good comments on how professional our show looks these days. We have a good light show to go with the sound, using a dozen cans, various gobo effects, smoke, aluminum tri-truss, etc.

I guess in a nut shell, you CAN make work come to you whether you have great or ordinary gear, as long as you have talent to entertain and keep bums on seats.

letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Black I couldn't agree more with the points you make. Now at risk of getting totally off topic here, you use a dozen cans??? I have 4 Par-46's and if I have all four of them on I get complaints that they're too hot. LOL
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If I cared to make my rack heavy as heck, I could fit what I use in one six space rack. I just don't want to do that and if I'm just doing sound, with the two cases I can just bring my sound case and leave my computer at home.
Black_Mamba

Post by Black_Mamba »

letitrip wrote:Black I couldn't agree more with the points you make. Now at risk of getting totally off topic here, you use a dozen cans??? I have 4 Par-46's and if I have all four of them on I get complaints that they're too hot. LOL
Yeah I use par 30 cans that take 100w edison screw bulbs. They get pretty hot on stage and I tend to sweat like a pig but looks great! :lol:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

All aspects of the business need to be professional....You can have crappy stuff and you may even work steady... but I'm willing to bet that their competition gets more money per gig if they have better equipment...

That said...You still have to "run" the business. You have to sell yourself to bar owners and customers alike, continuously.. There are office things that need done on a regular basis. There is constant advertising and promotion to do.

Running a fair rotation. Updating your song selection.

Repairs and equipment maintenance...

Treat your business small...you'll have a small business...

Nothing runs itself.......and you need to know what your competition is doing.. If they are still remaining successful. If not why???? If so why????

You have to do a real evaluation of yourself and your operation...

Nobody does what I do...or they don't know how or they don't want to or they don't care.... and for those reasons..... I always remain ahead of my competition....

So you have the same choices that every business owner faces...you make the right ones and succeed or you make the wrong ones and fail....Don't blame someone else on your bad business decisions....It's you and you alone...

If the competition is looking for work it's because of something they decided to do or not do....

If you're looking for work...why??? Who made your decisions?????

If you need an equipment upgrade and you decide not to spend the money....or you don't buy new songs...or you want to play favorites with the rotation..or you want to let everyone and everything run the business for you...

But I will say this.... a lot my success has to do with how bad my competition runs their business....I turn their stupid, into my profit....