help me decide what to buy - brand new newbie to karaoke

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
acousticdrum

help me decide what to buy - brand new newbie to karaoke

Post by acousticdrum »

I want to do karaoke with my family and friends in my home. I have a full PA setup. I also have an Apple Powerbook G4 laptop. What do I need (inexpensive way) to play the CDG's and see the lyrics??? I want to be able to send the music through the PA.
Thanks

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

umm if you want to do it computerized I'd invest in a Windows based PC as there aren't alot of choices for hosting software for the mac and what's out there doen't have all the features you might need to run a show.
Sorry when I wrote this I was assuming that you were going professional. For home I think the Mac software might do as it probably is simple to use. The real issue is getting software to import your song, again not a lot out there for the mac.
You'll have to setup your external in fat32, I believe as Mac does not reckognize NTFS.
acousticdrum

Post by acousticdrum »

thanks for your reply and interest in helping me. Please be very elementary with me, I am not the most literate computer person in the world and definetly do not know anything about the software, etc.
Thanks again!

Will this work - can it be connected to a laptop to view the lyrics???
RJ200 Progressive Scan All Region DVD/DIVX Player with Full Karaoke Function (Color: Silver)
It supports wide range of digital media: DVD, VCD, DIVX, MPEG-4, AVI, CD+G, MPEG4 CD+G, and more
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

acousticdrum wrote:thanks for your reply and interest in helping me. Please be very elementary with me, I am not the most literate computer person in the world and definetly do not know anything about the software, etc.
Thanks again!

Will this work - can it be connected to a laptop to view the lyrics???
RJ200 Progressive Scan All Region DVD/DIVX Player with Full Karaoke Function (Color: Silver)
It supports wide range of digital media: DVD, VCD, DIVX, MPEG-4, AVI, CD+G, MPEG4 CD+G, and more
No but it will attach to a tv directly with the aid of an RF Modulator or through the video in if your tv has rca inputs built into the tv (most tvs nowadays have them). If you have discs you don't need to load them onto any computer if you go with this player. One word of caution, the mike inputs of the player are inferior to what a mixer would have.
I also suggest using a mixer/amp that is designed for Pro Audio use, not a home stereo system as they are not designed to handle live vocals.
you can get a very basic system at musician's friend for cheap.
acousticdrum

Post by acousticdrum »

thanks - I do have a Yamaha EMX5000 mixer I will be using for the sound portion. This sounds like an easy enough solution for what I will be doing.