Visual karaoke -- why not?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
myau

Visual karaoke -- why not?

Post by myau »

In my experience, people stay more focused and entertained with karaoke when there is a video playing in the background. We are a visual society afterall and it's much better than staring at a solid black or blue background with words in my opinion (although some may argue it detracts from the actual singing aspect).

Using a laptop setup, is there a way or program that lets you specify a movie (ie music video file for the song) to play in the background while the .cdg lyrics go on top of that?

Imagine singing karaoke while you and the group are reminiscing about the past when you see music videos in the background you had forgotten about at the same time.

That would be an amazing and fun thing to see.

Of course there are technical challenges beyond software and format such as obtaining the videos and storing them, but I'm sure we can address those after this first step.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I side with the video isn't better people as I prefer not having anything distract me like a video behind the words. I hated those cheesy videos behind the pioneer laserKaraoke discs and was glad to find CD+G. IF Karaoke went back to making the videos then unless they use even cheesier videos than the lasers, the time to produce these videos would take the same time it took to make the lasers.
It sometimes took months to get new songs on lasers. It only takes weeks now for new CDG songs.
Me I don't want to go back to those days.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I'm with DanG here. Never cared for the video backgrounds. Using a live video background of the singer and/or the crowd is the only thing I would consider at this time.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I started out using the Pioneer Laser discs to be different than the guys that just had cheap cdgs.

Do an experiment. I have...I know it works.

Play a scary karaoke song. A song with someone singing but no words on the TV. Listen to the crowd noise. People are yacking up a storm because there is nothing to occupy there eyes.

Play a regular karaoke CDG with words on the screen...Listen to the crowd noise.

Play a karaoke song with a video on the screen and listen to the crowd noise. They shut up and watch the show.

You are absolutely right. We are a TV society. We will watch the TV if the only thing on the screen is the test pattern. The crowd noise is lowest when there is a video playing in the background.

As far as the Pioneer lasers. Pioneer spared no expense in making those. The music production was the best. I have switched to laptop karaoke. I am in the middle of putting the Pioneer Lasers on a hard drive. Pioneer will always be my first choice of karaoke music to play. Their versions are musically the best and the video keeps down the crowd noise.
myau

Post by myau »

Hehe, I didn't mean to start a discussion of visual vs. non really because that a whole big debate =) I wanted to know if there was a program commercially available (not pre-packaged like pioneer) that allowed me to play a background video that I choose under the .cdg words.

That way you could still use the mp3+cdg but just use the program to specify.
I'm assuming not.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

As far as I know, Karaoke fun allows for a video or graohic to be displayed behind the graphics. The only winamp Plugin that was supposed to have this is the one that comes with RoxBox. Although I believe that AutoKDJ has an AVS renderer that can play behind the grphics and they use the original MP3+G plugin.
myau

Post by myau »

DanG2006 wrote:As far as I know, Karaoke fun allows for a video or graohic to be displayed behind the graphics. The only winamp Plugin that was supposed to have this is the one that comes with RoxBox. Although I believe that AutoKDJ has an AVS renderer that can play behind the grphics and they use the original MP3+G plugin.
Thank you for the suggestions DanG. I just tried KaraFun for the first time and while you can put in a .avi file background in the purchased version, it does not work with existing .cdg files because .cdg files are locked graphics. That means you would have to find and input the lyrics by syllable and resync it to the background track using their creator yourself..which rules out that option.

Just finding out .cdg is locked and not flexible pretty much flushes my dream down the toilet. Oh well...how about having a separate window play the video on the side? (in another window) =)

I've tried Roxbox before and currently use AutoKDJ with winamp but have not seen an option for video in background (only static image in background which I haven't even gotten to work). I'll report back if I do find something.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

try swift elite 3 hon.. i know it has the capabilty but you must have xp or greater.
myau

Post by myau »

Marlena wrote:try swift elite 3 hon.. i know it has the capabilty but you must have xp or greater.
Thank you Marlena. That program did exactly what I am looking for. It is a powerful program. The only feature lacking was the ability to setup a script or configuration where you can associate a random video with a random cdg/mp3 file where it would play both them together at any time. But it's good enough and I will purchase the program.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

you are very welcome :)

Marlena