what kind of mics are best

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
intrudermcm

what kind of mics are best

Post by intrudermcm »

I want to buy a new mic and I'm not sure what to get, wireless or wire, and what brands are best for the money. Anybody got any suggestions. Thanks Larry

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Hi Larry and welcome to the forum! The only real difference between quality wired and wireless mics is the wire itself. If you're in the situation where a mic cord would not be a problem then you could purchase a like quality wired mic for less money. Personally, I find that mic cords are always in the way no matter when I'm using them.

As for the best mic brand(s), you are going to receive personal opinions. My personal favorite is the AKG WMS40 Pro. There are much cheaper wireless mics that are suitable for home use like some of the ones found at Ace Karaoke.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Wow that's like asking what car is the best. Ideally, nothing beats the quality of a good condensor mic, however, I can't see a KJ spending 800-1000 per mic. Plus most KJ's have no idea what phatom power is let alone how to properly EQ a microphone so forget that idea.

So to really answer your question, lets assume that like all other KJ's you're going to use dynamic mics. In my opinion, wireless mics have come to the point where their quality is comensurate with wired mics and therefore would be the preferred option for a KJ. People love not being leashed by a mic cord and it also provides you flexibility as a KJ.

Senheiser, Shure and Audio Technica are some of the most respected names in the business. The Shure PGX series combine the proven Beta 58 series pickup with a solid tranmitter but at a relatively economical price ($500-600). However, my personal opinion has always been that while I want a great sound, I'm not willing to hand a $400 transmitter over to the drinkers that sing at my gigs. I decided to go with the Vocopro UHF-5800 series. The 1U rack mount receiver is very convenient and the cost is much more attractive. Sound wise they've done great. The pickup pattern is fairly wider than a Shure 58 series so the background rejection isn't as good, however that can actually be a good thing for Karaoke where people don't always realize they have to sing INTO the mic to be heard. Sound quality is very good and the range has been great. I've yet to find the end of the range in any of the bars or large halls I've played.

Ultimately, you have to decide where you're going to draw the line between quality and price and decide from there. That line differs from KJ to KJ.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
intrudermcm

what kind of mics to buy

Post by intrudermcm »

thanks wiseguy and letitrip for your suggestions. I have a shure wire mic and some cheaper ones but they are all wired. thanks for your help
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

I bought some cheap wireless mic AudioTechna sp? which I have been very happy with I am getting ready to get rid of my wired mic because you never know when someone is going to trip on them and it seems at least once a night some one is swinging the mic by the cord which is hard on cords.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Not to mention that if the microphone comes loose from the cable it will fly across the room and kill someone...