Starting Out -- Karaoke Jukebox or Computer Karaoke

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
marose1

Starting Out -- Karaoke Jukebox or Computer Karaoke

Post by marose1 »

Deciding on a Home Karaoke System can be very confusing! I currently have an HP Pavillion Laptop with 2 GHZ processor and 2-160MB Hard Disk Drives. I also have a 50" Pioneer Plasma TV and a decent Home Entertainment System (Yamaha Receiver and Bose speakers).

I also have a fairly large selection of Karaoke VCD's, but my DVD Player recently broke, so I am trying to decide what to do.

My wife is Chinese (I am not), so I would like to play both Cantonese and English Karaoke WITH a video background to the music.

In my short period of research, I have been looking at the following options:

Option 1: Karaoke Jukebox players:

U-Best DA168 or Best Media BM1000 (same manufacturer)
Malata MDVD-6619
Other players: JBK, Muvies, Boluw (made by Malata) RJ Tech RJ-KOD
or RJ Tech RJ-1000KII

Option 2: Use computer with software

If I choose Option 1, what would be the best choice? Quality of sound is important, while quality of the video background is not so important -- I just want something on the screen in addition to the words of the music. I also want to use the Karaoke player to play DVD movies with good quality. What are the advantages and differences in sound quality in choosing a MIDI format or a VCD format for the karaoke music?

If I choose Option 2, what do I need to purchase to do the Karaoke from my computer?

Thank you

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Midi music sounds worse the elevator music. :lol: CD+G or DVD or VCD usually have full instrumentation. Midi is someone playing a synthesizer or an organ.

You could play DVDs from a computer or you could just go with a DVD player. Players are already set up with good video and sound. What are you going to sing through?

I have used Bose Surround sound system cube speakers and after a while they are starting to crack from the vocals. They are not made to handle live vocals like a real PA system. And the built in TV speakers will blow out too.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

my father runs a very small system in his basement.. he picked up a inexpensive surround sound system from the "SOURCE" (it's a electronics store) for about 200.00. and he runs a RSQ karaoke Machine which cost about $200.00. it's really good for a larger den or rumpus room.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

For Ripping I would suggest PowerKaraoke's CD+G Burner as I have run the same track through KJrip N ZIp, AudioGrabber, Hoster and PowerKaraoke's ripper and the latter two came out with perfect rips at max speed of the DVD-Rom I used to rip them with. Both Audiograbber and KJRip N Zip left artifacts(dots sporatically placed as if the disc had sctches on it or was dirty whcih was not the case).
I use CompuHost for my player as it gives me all the features one could want in an all in one player program.
The only other softwares that have simular features is AutoKDJ (a winamp frontend) which requires winamp and the graphic screen plugin to run and Siglos KJ Professional. I personally don't like how the filler player on Siglos works. With Compuhost I have separate controls of filler player and karaoke player. But that is just my opinion of it. It really is a good Hosting software.
Having reread your post Siglos would be the best fit for you. www.powerkaraoke.com is the website.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If you're dead set on video karaoke only then forget about using the computer and just purchase a good quality multi-format karaoke disc player. Be aware that you are limiting yourself to a fraction of karaoke song titles available as the vast majority are on CD+G (non-video) discs.

Do not use your surround sound speaker system for live vocals or you run a real risk of destroying them. Invest in a pair of PA speakers for performing karaoke.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

my father has had the same surround sound speaker set for 6 years and hasn't broken them yet. I guess it depends on how you treat your stuff and if you know how to use it. it's a home karaoke system, not thinking anyone wants to go to a huge expense to do it from their livingroom. but i agree with you wiseguy, if your thinking of throwing big parties with people who aren't going to respect your stuff then PA's are the way to go.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I get the feeling he doesn't want to have to touch his discs or might have more than one person working the controls and doesn't trust them to leave the discs being used with the system. Either way would tell me that he is looking for a system like the JB199 or a PC based system. Having noticed now that he wants to play video, the only software choices that will play the video is either Hoster or Swift Elite or VJ. Either one are easy enough run.
The only issue is cost. Only the Professional (Full) version of Hoster will play dvd or VCD and elite costs about the same as the full version of Hoster.
If you convert the Video files to MPEG or AVI you can play them for less money with Siglos Karaoke Professional.
marose1

Post by marose1 »

DanG2006, I appreciate your information -- especially your reference to the CAVS JB199, which has the capability to superimpose lyrics over background video (BGV). Notwithstanding that, the JB199 is too pricey (approx $2000) for my needs (home use), as I am not a professional KJ.

After reading your post, I searched on the web for other machines with the BGV capability, and was able to come up with the following:

V2GO-700 ($269.99) - found this at a New Zealand site, and don't know if this machine is available or compatible in the US. I went to the V2GO web site and the only machine available was the GO-100. I sent V2GO a message inquiring the features and availability of the GO-100 and the GO-700.

HKV-898GS - Home Karaoke Ltd in Canada - Has the superimpose feature but not sure what else due to lack of details on web site. I am sending them an email to get more info.

Mark
nia

Post by nia »

i'm interested in the Malata 6619 or 6628 as well.. does anyone know if either of these systems is able to play CDGs and if so, can they play them from a USB drive??

thanks all.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

From what I see they will not play CD+G. You must carefully read the specs and maybe call the manufacturer to be absolutely sure.