What is the best "company" for Karaoke Music on CD

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
LarryKaraoke

Post by LarryKaraoke »

The parent company of the discs on that site, that I looked into, are by a HOME entertainment company, so likely not licensed for commercial play. They are being a bit more strict in Canada about licensed discs, so I would not take the chance. It's not just a fine you get here, they seize all your equipment, and I don't feel like replacing $10,000 worth of music, and more than that in equipment. I have a bunch of them at home that I can't use for work. The law, it seems, does not require them to say anywhere on the disc if it's for home or commercial use. Same as for DJ discs. But you WILL pay more, as there are public performance license royalties added. Some are nice enough to mark their discs, but most don't. Having worked in a recording studio, we had to keep up on copyright and licensing laws.
As an independent KJ or DJ, you are somewhat safe. The main ones they go after are the companies that hire DJs and often, make copies of the originals, without getting the copy license. But personally, I wont take the chance. And as a studio musician/tech. I agree with royalties, so don't mind paying them.

powerofgood

Post by powerofgood »

Actually they are all name brand, they are mass market brands which means they are all still sold in major retail stores like Wal-Mart, Best Buy etc. You are correct most of the cheap discs companies with crappy renditions went under years ago, which is ALSO why there are so many BOOTLEGGS on eBay of those disc.

The disc on http://www.dollarstorejunkie.com are all new and sealed and name brand sold at major retailers. Sometimes I think deals are looking people right in the face, but the BOGUS stuff is more appealing so the good stuff is overlooked.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Just because a disc is sold at a major store I.E. Walmart doesn't mean the discs are any good quality wise. I'll stick with paying more money for big name companies.

Often times junk comes in fancy wrappers. It's an advertising trick.

Walmart reminds me of a big fancy junk store. I have shopped there but not on a regular basis and it's mostly a place of last resort. I have 2 wihin 3 miles in both directions. They are not on my list of places to shop. Only in desperation.
powerofgood

Post by powerofgood »

Bigdog wrote:Just because a disc is sold at a major store I.E. Walmart doesn't mean the discs are any good quality wise. I'll stick with paying more money for big name companies.

Often times junk comes in fancy wrappers. It's an advertising trick.

Walmart reminds me of a big fancy junk store. I have shopped there but not on a regular basis and it's mostly a place of last resort. I have 2 wihin 3 miles in both directions. They are not on my list of places to shop. Only in desperation.
To be honest, I am not a big fan of Wal-Mart either, so that was just an example. The point was they are all name brand, that was the only real point. Some are from Sound Choice, some are from Karaoke Bay, some are from BCI Eclipse. I do agree with you sometimes you pay a lot for JUNK, but they sell their top brands low, just like the regular brands.