First night, 30 singers.

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

First night, 30 singers.

Post by Bigdog »

I started a new job tonight and I expected to have some people there. But I never expected to have 30 singers. If the night keeps getting bigger than this, they will surely want to kill me. 2 hour rotations means 2 songs if you come early and stay late. How long will singers keep coming if it gets down to singing one song per night?

Would your singers remain loyal to you if they could only sing one song a night?

How much fun can you have? Everyone had a real good time tonight but holy crap.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Gee my biggest dream is to have so many singers that I don't have time to play filler music. I occasionally have enough requests to fill the night from a smaller group of people. I even had a couple of nights where I had 20 different singers for the entire night.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The last 3 weeks have been crazy at several jobs. 30 singers at two of them the last three weeks. Biggest crowds in the last two years.

:idea: Maybe the reason you don't have steady singers is because you play filler music. I never do anything but karaoke and I never have a problem. I don't make my singers mad or chase them away by doing everything but karaoke. Karaoke is my business and that's all I play. Every note from the first to the last, is sung by someone.

No nonsinging dance music requesting show hijackers. I don't cater to anyone but people singing. You can dance at the DJ down the road. The sign says "KARAOKE" and that's all you're gonna get from me, ever.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The most singers I've ever had at a show was 67. This was several years ago at a large Country & Western bar where I had a steady Wednesday night gig. 30 singers would be a slow night at this place. Having this many singers makes for a night full of whining customers who are likely to only get one song in. Of course there was no way that I would quit this place and have it said that I couldn't handle the pressure. I will admit that I was happy when a big company bought the property and turned it into a car lot.

In my area anyway, summer always means a sharp decline in the number of people in the bars. I haven't noticed that so much this year. It must be that the gas prices are keeping people close to home.

I never use "filler music" between karaoke songs. There simply is not enough down time to make this necessary. I do play DJ music when the need arises. And I always advertise as "Karaoke & DJ" unless I am specifically asked to to perform only one or the other.

There are often situations, especially in a new place, where there will be a large crowd but only two or three singers. There is no way I'm going to run off 50 people just to let 3 singers rotate through their typically boring songs. That would be stupid. I'll go through a rotation of songs and then play some dance music requests.

I situations where I have enough singers to carry the show I will rarely play any DJ music. I have a single goal in mind. To keep as many paying customers in the bar as possible. You simply cannot ALWAYS do that with karaoke only.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:The last 3 weeks have been crazy at several jobs. 30 singers at two of them the last three weeks. Biggest crowds in the last two years.

:idea: Maybe the reason you don't have steady singers is because you play filler music. I never do anything but karaoke and I never have a problem. I don't make my singers mad or chase them away by doing everything but karaoke. Karaoke is my business and that's all I play. Every note from the first to the last, is sung by someone.

No nonsinging dance music requesting show hijackers. I don't cater to anyone but people singing. You can dance at the DJ down the road. The sign says "KARAOKE" and that's all you're gonna get from me, ever.
I only play the filler if I don't have requests. otherwise it is straight karaoke. Most of my singers don't show up until 10 pm which is an hour after I start.
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

I have had night of 40 plus singers abut i still play filler music because it takes them a minute to get up to the mic and it never fails if i have dead air someone goes and puts money in the juke box
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Before I start playing for the night the jukebox is either turned down or shut off, usually by me.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

I have on average a night between 30 - 40 singers a round, whether summer or winter. I have been very fortunate that my crowd continues through the summer. Once I reach 1 month of more than 35 singers a night consistantly, I explain to the bar owner how this will chase away customers and that we need another night he gives it to me. right now I'm fridays and saturdays and right after my honeymoon this week I will start yet another night, trying to get customers to level out on all 3 nights.

(typos courtesy of my new nails lol)
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I never openly announce how many singers we have. I will privately tell someone if they ask how long it's going to be for them to sing. I think publically announcing that the rotation is 2 hours long, could chase people out before they would normally leave.

I feel announcing it would sound very negative. Like oh my God, two hours...
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The newest job had 25 singers and if everyone would have stayed it would have been 30 again. Now the bar was filled with many people waiting to sing another song. The time of this job is 9 - 1. I suggested to the bar managers that 9:30 - 1:30 would be a better time so more people could sing and the bar could make more money. (More bartender tips) The managers are the bartenders. Both said no that 1 o'clock quit was fine.

Neither of these guys owns the bar. It's in a hotel chain. Buy their decision is causing the bar to lose potential money. They said if it was the weekend they would do it.

Good business decisions are made to make all of the money that can be made. Not just so you can go home early. If I was the owner and found out they were costing me money, they would be gone.