Best sound configuration

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Alkmenes

Best sound configuration

Post by Alkmenes »

I found that almost all people like to sing giving their back to the other customers, during the show. (maybe is it an "Italian Style", or only SHY PEOPLE?)

My question is: Is necessary to mount a sound monitor speaker when people don't use it?

Usually I use two speakers up to 250W, pointed to the customers, lightly set to the center of the room, and in this way the 100W monitor is not only unuseful, but is only a more weight to carry on.

From Italy, with a song ;)
Angelsing

Post by Angelsing »

Hi Alkmenes, as a new soon to be KJ, I probably shouldn't be answering any questions, :lol: But nobody else did, I'm gonna take a shot at this one.

As a Karaoke singer, I don't think a monitor is necessary unless the singer is far away from the mains, which I have never seen in a Karaoke bar.

As a singer I'd rather hear what's coming out of the mains vs a dry old monitor anyway.

Now, to keep the singer from having their back to the audience, which I see alot too, place the video monitor directly in front of the audience, facing the singer of course, which will force the singer to face the audience. :shock:

That's what I plan to do :?

Hope that helps.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Some singers want to be directly under the brightest spotlight and others want to hide in the corner. I know singers that won't "perform" at all if the crowd isn't big enough. :lol: :roll: They don't want to waste their time. 8)

I never use a vocal monitor. But then again all my singers are in front of the mains at all times. They can sing from anywhere in the room. Front, back, side...under a light or in a dark corner. It gets more participation...I think...I hate singing karaoke on a stage. Hook up to as many bar TVs as possible. That increases total crowd participation too. Tonight I have only 1 bar TV so the crowd see the singers back unless they stand at the back of the bar and the crowd turns to see them. Most people are just happy to get to sing period. They don't worry about the crowd seeing them. SOME DO. Most don't.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I pretty much have the same situation as BigDog. I have only had access to a stage maybe once in all my years of doing karaoke. Most have been on the floor level so it didn't matter where my singers were in the bar.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

I've had the opposite experience, at my shows it seems people like having the on-stage effect. So as a result I bring in a full lighting rig (8 par cans w/controllers) and if there's no actual stage, we make one. Now, that doesn't stop anyone from going out and about to sing, many of them do.

Personally, I use a monitor. There's a big difference between what a monitor delivers and what you get out of the main mix (or at least there damn well should be otherwise it's not being done right). A vocalists monitor should typically being presenting the full mix (music and vocals) but with the vocals a lot more prominent than they would be in the main mix. I've been to many karaoke shows where the monitor is't run this way and at that point it's useless and I might as well sing off the main mix. Many of my singers really like and understand the monitor, some will ask me to tweak it to their preferences. So for me, it's a must.

Back to the original question, for Karaoke you can definitely get away without using a monitor. Only your more skilled singers would notice anyway. If they're turning their back to the monitor then you definitely wouldn't want to be using it because not only is it a waste, it's also a potential source of feedback when now the mic is pointed right at it (although proper EQ can fix that too).

Hope that helps.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

I also am on with tony on this. with the cordless mic's they are free to roam or stay center stage if they do then they are behind the mains and can hear themselves sing. I use a fender 100w powered floor monitor with a 10" driver small & lite. but more than enough output. a little music,more prominent on the vovals. for the most part not a high priority but nice extra
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

When Alkmenes refers to turning your back to the monitor is he talking about a TV monitor or a vocal monitor.

I think he means TV monitor.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Bigdog wrote:When Alkmenes refers to turning your back to the monitor is he talking about a TV monitor or a vocal monitor.

I think he means TV monitor.
From the OP: "My question is: Is necessary to mount a sound monitor speaker when people don't use it?"
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com