I've decided to become a KJ, now what???

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Angelsing

I've decided to become a KJ, now what???

Post by Angelsing »

[size=19][/size]

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the site and to the business. I was a singer for many years and loved it. I've recently decided I want to do this but I'm really confusted about what equipment to start with. Of course I want to go out and buy the (almost the best equipment), not too extravagant, but I refuse to get inadequate equipment or these all in one type deals either. I already know what speakers I want (jbl's), and I can figure out the laptop and monitors, but outside of that I'm lost. I decided to work with a local kj to see if i'd like this and this dude has thousands of cd's. I do not want to carry cd's around which I why I want to go digital straight out the gate. He has a mixer with about 12 channels, some lighting and a karaoke machine.
I've been reading your posts and I'm thinking either siglos or mtu's for the software, I think, lol. I don't know how to get the music because I can't see spending .94 for the 53k songs I think I would need to start.

What other equipment do I need and how do I get the music? Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much. :?
[size=9][/size][size=18][/size]

Marlena

Post by Marlena »

as far as equipment I run all Peavey from speakers to amps to everything. as far as music goes..

bang for buck check out online auctions but be very careful who you are buying from because they could be illegal discs.. also check out your local all in one.. or here we call it a bargain finder... looks like a wallstreet journal but it's filled with second hand stuff that people are practically giving away.

other things to consider is a solid contract between you and your establishments..

and insurance for your equipment (in case of theft or damage).
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The music is the most expensive part of karaoke.

He has thousands of discs and an empty wallet to prove it.

The major problem with computer karaoke is...it's supposedly illegal to do a format shift from the disc to a hard drive. 99% of the KJs that do use computers have the discs to prove they paid for the music legally.

Some companies are suing individuals for illegal usage of the music at $250,000 per illegal song. Do you feel lucky?

My karaoke musical investment is very close to $50,000. :shock:

Starting up and doing it right is an expensive proposition. I think it's the reason for so many crappy KJs. Everyone wants to start a karaoke business on a shoe string.

Good and cheap very rarely are used in the same sentence.
Angelsing

Post by Angelsing »

Holy cow, $50K. And you say HE has an empty pocket to prove it. I can't imagine having to spend that much. So you Big are suggesting I would need to spend that much on music? I think before I do anything else I'll investigate the cost of the music. Here I was thinking dealers sold the music in bulk. The sound station includes 53K songs and the entire system is around $800 or so. Everything I've read about people starting this business said the start up costs were about 5K. Did they leave out the most important part, the music? :shock:
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

When i started I was able to find a bulk sale of discs through a bargain finder as such it was 250 discs... i paid $2000.00 for them. my start up costs all together was just under $10,000.00

over the past 6 years I have spent 1 night's pay a month on discs that i find through the above mentioned sources and now i have over 15,000 discs. depending on the disc I have paid as little as $2.00 and as much as $60.00 for 1 disc.

Karaoke isn't cheap to get into... that's where some are mistaken... depending on where you live and the quality of karaoke around, determines what you can start off with as a base. I started off with 5000 songs.

you can have the greatest sound system in the world but if you don't have the variety of music, that people in your area are used to having access to, it isn't going to work.
Angelsing

Post by Angelsing »

OMG :shock: I had no idea it would cost this much. I am just about floored. Well, I guess I'll just have to start out slow and build an inventory. Someone posted at least 3000 songs to start out with is the minimum so I'll aim for that. Ok, so, the only thing I guess I need to figure out is what kind of compressor and PA to get. Do you recommend a PA with built in effects like reverb and such? I used a Nano Verb for my voice which I have and I have a guitar amp that I could use for an onstage monitor, if necessary. Could I just use the Nano Verb for the Vocal effects? Is there any other equipment I'll need to start other than:
Mic's I already have 3 -2 corded, 1 wireless
Laptop
Speakers
Compressor
PA
Maybe some lighting.
???

Thanks your guys and I am so glad I found this site.
Whew :!:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You will never go wrong with buying a good quality PA system.

Everyone's idea of a quality system is different.

It's the reason I pay $600 for microphones.

I always use sub speakers and tops at every job.

My musical expenses are a little higher than most because I have the Pioneer laser disc sets. (Originally $110 for each disc of 28 songs.)

Consider paying at least anywhere from $2 -5 per CDG song. I have over 11,000 one-of-a-kind songs. Don't forget about having the legitimate proof (original discs) if you use a laptop. Or down load receipts.

Some mixers have onboard reverb and other effects.

I started my business 16 years ago and my original total business investment was $20,000. I passed all of my local competition before I even did my first job. Just with my equipment. :lol:

My system today has almost $50,000 in music and almost $10,000 equipment. Not counting my full size van and many other extras. Not counting office equipment (copier, color printers, computers/software/hardware) for doing song books, calenders, posters, etc.

My copier just crapped, so I'm buying a new one shortly.

I have a considerable amount of wasted money in equipment repairs over the years. Dropped microphones, worn out disc players, new cables and ends. Microphone batteries. Insurance for the equipment, business, liability and van.

Most of the cheap KJs I know don't last long. Your seriousness will determine your budget. And your payback on that investment.
Angelsing

Post by Angelsing »

Maaan, they don't call you Bigdog for nuthin, lol. You are the man.
Of course someone just starting out I think needs to build their system to the capacity you're talking about. I personally can not afford to start out that big not knowing if I'll even be successful at this.
Thanks very much for your information, I really appreciate it. :wink:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

That's the difference...

I knew I could make money and I set a goal of making $2000 a month doing karaoke. I wanted to match my real job income.

Now listen to this carefully. I took out a loan for the money. I made sure that I could make the payments with my real job income. But I also wanted to push myself to make the payments from the karaoke business.

I treat my business as a major corporation. That means nice looking real business cards. Making my presentation look as professional as possible. My system looks professional. I act professional. Professional looking posters and ads, song books, slips, calenders. Yes...this all costs money. You have to spend money to make money. I work very steady.

It's all to make my reputation look as good as possible. That's how you get jobs. I also went to as many karaoke shows as I could. I took mental notes about the the unprofessional looking KJs. How Unprofessional they
looked and acted. How their equipment looked and sounded unprofessional. Things the bar owners and customers will notice. I wanted to put myself at the top of the pile. That's exactly what happened.

About my income goal....I have always (16 years) made MORE money than my full time income. Many times twice as much more. My karaoke business has been very good to me. But it's not an accident. None of my competition is more dedicated or more committed to karaoke. It shows in many ways.
Angelsing

Post by Angelsing »

Good for you Big. Continued success :!:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging.... I want you and others to know what you can do with it, if you get real serious about karaoke. Treat it like a big business and you'll get big results. Treat it like something to play with and that's all you'll have.... for a little while.

Bar owners are just like every other business person. Even though most of them don't act like it. They want quality for their money. Sometimes they don't recognise it and sometimes they don't care. Not caring hurts their business. I can and have produced nothing but high quality in every aspect of my business. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I see and know many unemployed loser KJs. They can't figure out why they can't get and keep jobs. Sometimes it their system or lack of one to speak of and sometimes it's them (jerks) and most times it's both.

Very rarely have I heard about anyone taking out a loan to start their karaoke business.

Instead all I hear about is how cheaply they got started. And they are proud of it. The problem is their system looks and sounds like it's cheap. In that regard they have succeeded. But in not much else. They shortly find out how inadequate it is and they either upgrade or start lowering their asking price for a karaoke night. Cheap KJs get work. They just can't keep it long. Now you have an expensive "cheap" hobby that can't get work. Pretty soon you'll fade away like many I have seen. Flash in a pan KJs. Here today gone tomorrow.

So how do you want to operate your business? Are you in for the long haul or a short run? You better decide your committment level fast. Before you waste a lot of money for nothing. Just because you own the equipment doesn't mean you're all of a sudden a KJ. Until you can produce steady quality karaoke jobs, you're just somebody with some KJ equipment.
cowboydarryl

Post by cowboydarryl »

Angelsing

you have alot of options to look at,are you still retaining your full time job?? Do you have gigs lined up?? all things to look at prior to opening your wallet. It would be nice to start with 50k songs,but are you going to have to cut back on your other equipment to do so? If you have alot of songs but a cheap sound system you will only hurt you business!!

Its a matter of balance. I also started with only 5000 songs but spent a little more on the system. As you get more busines you can add more songs, more equipment (and you can find out do I realy want to do this for a living) Trust me its alot diff. handing out the mic. then reciving it LOL.

As for a mixer, I run Yamaha MG16/6fx mixers they have 16 different dsp efects. choise depends alot on your speaker system. If you go with powered speakers you won't need amps or a powered mixer but the speakers cost more. I started out with just 2 JBL EON G2's 400watts each and added 1 JBL JRX118sp 18" sub as i could aford It,then a 2nd(I am now selling that system) it is my back up set.I am replacing with a pair of QSC HPR153i's. The point is grow with your business. Add the music as you go that way you find out what songs your singers want instaid of alot of songs nobody ever sings!

I started with a laptop but opted to build my own 2U rack mount computers saves on setup time and far less clutter(only 5 wires coming out of the rack) R/L speaker,main power,data feed to moniter and power for the moniter(17"lcd) as for software I use roxbox, price was very resonable and if you get the Karaoke suite it comes with cd+g ripper super cd+g,neo cd+g converter(all are converted to mp3+g) and song book generator. There are alot of choises out there!!

I do agree with Bigdog on some things but man $600 mic's!! your handing these to the general public, many who are drunk!! I have had 1 stolen, (I use cordless) had them dropped. even dropped one myself, of corse that was the one that cracked :shock: LOL. I use vocopro UHF 5800 (4 cordless mic's) Ok not the best but sill $100 each to replace!

Do you plan to DJ? that can also afect your choises. Just dont feel that you need to start out top of the line, But get the best you can aford.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I started with about 1500 songs and grew from there. I started out with a budget of $8000. with that I got a player, a full set of laserdiscs (Yeah I started with Lasers). I gradually decided that lasers wasn't the way to go so I added a cdg player and a video switch. When my CDG catalog outgrew my lasers I got rid of the lasers and stuck with the CDG's. As I grew I also replaced various sound equipment with better replacements. I started out with wired mikes and now run wireless only. Iam not so willing to hand over a $600 mike over to a drunk so I do use cheaper wireless setups, still name brand though. I run a seinheiser freeport and a samson stage series 5 mike in my main setup and in my other more mobile setup I run two stage series 2 handhelds and just recently added a Hisonic headset mike for me.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I have 3 almost complete laser sets. Pioneer spared no expense in the video and musical production of those songs. I still use them. They are, 99.9% of the time my first choice of a song version to play. I also have the Pioneer CDG set.

Anothere unintentional benefit of the lasers....the crowd noise level drops because people are watching the video action during the song. It goes up a little more during a CDG song. It really goes up if someone sings a song without words on the screen. We are a TV society so everyone is naturally drawn to watch anything on the TV. Even if they don't particularly like whatever is on. Just like a moth to a flame. The videos help to keep the nonsingers more entertained, even if they don't actually realise it. :twisted:

About my starting budget. My goal from day one was to be the best KJ in the metro area. Not just any old KJ. I can guarantee I am in the top 5 in the area and have been since day one. I have seen many lesser KJs come and go.

So your ultimate goal should determine your budget. If you just want a fun hobby or serious business. Several thousand songs is the minimum. Then you have to consider the over all sound quality. That includes speakers and microphones, effects and the quality of the muisc you use. Some companies are worse than others. Years ago there were many more bad companies making discs. Just as the bad quality KJs they soon disappeared. Your final existance is going to be totally based on your quality. Quality doesn't come cheap. Look at your competition. Can you afford to be better than they are? Because you will be fighting to get the same jobs. My quality usually wins. Although there are many many stupid bar owners that think cheap KJs are the answer to their prayers. WRONG. ALWAYS.

Everyone but the cheap KJ seems to be able to hear how good or bad their system sounds. Cheap KJs, I found out are totally deaf. In their head it sounds good to them because they are trying to justify spending so little money to be in business. I have had many try to compare what the run with what I run. Can you see the difference between a VW beatle and a Rolls Royce? Everyone can hear the difference between a crappy sounding system and a real one. So listen to what the competition uses. Can you honestly top that or at least become even with them? It's a dog eat dog business. Very cut throat and there is a lot of backstabbing. The market is flooded with crappy cheap KJs. It's much harder to find the quality KJs. What do you want to be? How much do you want to work? How much money do you want to make?

16 years ago 1500 was a lot of songs because there weren't that many more songs to be had. Today there are at least 300,000 karaoke songs available.
Angelsing

Post by Angelsing »

Well, a lot of information here. You guys should write a Karaoke for Dummies book, lol. I'd be first in line to buy it. So to answer some of the questions posed to me. I don't plan to quit my day job, but with the economy threatening our jobs, this will be a great back up.
So, I will be doing this primarily as a hobby and who knows. I think more than top notch equipment and 50K songs just starting out, I as the Host will try to be as entertaining, (without stealing the spot light from the singers), and try to get the audience as involved as possible and having fun. Someone who remembers you will remember how much fun they had with you vs the $10K PA you lugged in. Which by the way who is going to carry all this equipment, lol. I better start lifting some weights :shock: Anyway, I will put a lot of thought into getting awesome speakers because you can always use a pair good speakers, lol. The PA, well I have no idea but the club I'm thinking about approaching is small and quaint. Small equipment, small clubs, lol. I will also have a very professional, neat, clean and organized set up. I'm old skool from the days of wearing sequin dresses on stage. No jeans for me, well maybe sequin jeans, lol. I'm thinking about scailing down the songs to most popular old, new and somewhere in the middle. I can't tell you how long it takes me to go through those encyclopedia song books to find a song when I got to a Karaoke bar. Whew, it's almost last call by the time I find a song. Anyway presentation, decent equipment, and great songs I think will be enough for me to focus on at this point. Once I start, if I start making some muhlah, I can get all jiggy with the equipment upgrades, lol. Thanks again everybody. :wink: